Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 41,432 times

Advertisements

hey, i was looking at some town homes in birch terrace, pleasanton. The school district looks good. I am looking at elementary schools. does anyone have any inputs regarding this area? is it a nice neighborhood???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Overall Pleasanton is pretty safe, however these new townhouses you're talking about are on a particular undesirable street. There are a lot of old apartment buildings surrounding these homes and there is a bit of a "seedy" feel (I wouldn't feel really safe walking around at night). It's just this particular street, however so walk a couple blocks up and the area is nicer. It's not gang territory or anything like that but just a little rundown in spots.

The schools are good and Valley View is the nearest to these homes (walking distance). These homes are very close to the downtown area which is also a plus. This school in particular is probably one of the more diverse (socioeconomic) and you'll find many Spanish speaking children as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Valley View is not taking new students next year. The next closest is I believe Vintage Hill, that one is full also. However, any Elementary school they send you to in Pleasanton is fantastic.

As for Birch Terrace, I looked at these homes for almost a month. Loved the home, but thought the area was just 'ok'. My main gripe was that I have little kids and I wanted more of a 'trick or treat' kind of area, cul-de-sacs, kids playing on the sidewalks, etc. That area just doesn't have those features.

Also note that this street/area is considered the 'bad part of Pleasanton'. This is nuts of course because it is considered bad because it has a high percentage of minorities, blue collar workers, apartments and I believe a skateboard was stolen there once in the 1980s. But you will see when you go there....it's pretty harmless. Even late at night, I can't think of anyplace in Pleasanton where you would not feel safe.

BUT....from an investment perspective, I decided not to buy here because I know for certain myself that most of the local realtors steer their clients away from that specific area.

For around the same price, go a little north into areas like Valley View.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Overall Pleasanton is pretty safe, however these new townhouses you're talking about are on a particular undesirable street. There are a lot of old apartment buildings surrounding these homes and there is a bit of a "seedy" feel (I wouldn't feel really safe walking around at night). It's just this particular street, however so walk a couple blocks up and the area is nicer. It's not gang territory or anything like that but just a little rundown in spots.

The schools are good and Valley View is the nearest to these homes (walking distance). These homes are very close to the downtown area which is also a plus. This school in particular is probably one of the more diverse (socioeconomic) and you'll find many Spanish speaking children as well.

My friend lives in Ruby Hills (very upscale) and she sent her kids to Valley View because of the ethnic diversity and the dedication of the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose