Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM

60 posts, read 350,721 times

Advertisements

So, until moving here, I had never heard of a w/d being in a garage before... IMO, it seems silly to have clothes cleaned in a dirty garage!

I'm wondering how you get your laundry from bedroom to garage, and back again... I mean, do you sort your laundry as they dirty, or just prior to washing? Do you have an indoor laundry area? Do you fold your clothes in the garage? Where do you dry your delicates that can't go in the dryer?

Perhaps this is a silly question, but it has been befuddling my mind for some time now! Why are w/d's put in garages anyway?

Thanks for answering my (possibly) silly questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
I think it's because CA is mostly a warm climate. If it snowed there you probably wouldn't see that. Being a car guy, I hate having the washer/dryer (and water heater) taking up space in my garage. It doesn't seem like a natural place for appliances. But it's very normal to see that in CA, especially in the older homes.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Yes, its pretty normal for California. You sort the clothes in the house into baskets, take them to the garage and throw them in the machine. When they're dry, you throw them back in the baskets to take inside for folding. I guess they put them out there because its cheaper since they don't have the finish that space. There's also no floor drain or pan required in case of a leak because at least its not inside the house.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
That's where my washer & dryer is... never thought that was weird until just now, but I'm pretty much a native Californian. Mine is connected to the downstairs hallway, and is literally like 5 steps from the door - so there's not much opportunity for the clothing to get dirty. Maybe it does have to do with the climate, but my dryer (we didn't have a washer) was in the garage when I live in Tahoe, which is a much colder place. That one kinda sucked because it wasn't attached, so you had to get yourself & the clothing COLD in the winter. Brrrr! In my current house in SF, I think it's more of a space issue, since it's a narrow row-house without much closet or hallway space. Huh......

Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM

136 posts, read 548,940 times
When I was a kid our washer/dryer were in the garage. I know my mom hated it and our next house had an indoor laundry room.
I've never had them in the garage, thankfully, but when we lived in Maine the washer/dryer hook ups were in the kitchen. In my opinion that is worse than being in the garage.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I've always thought that the washer and dryer should be in the Master Bedroom suite. I don't do the laundry when I'm sleeping and it's a PITA to haul everything downstairs and back up the stairs every time. My shirts might even have a chance to make it back on the hangers if my closet was close by!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 AM

58 posts, read 274,283 times
Yep, the ol' laundry hook-ups in the garage were a way to build lower cost housing. Lower cost for the builder that is.
I suggestion to make it a bit nicer is to put down some carpeting from the door to the appliances so there is no cold foot syndrome on cold days. Linoleum tiles can be put down to to create an area to be kept clean for clothes that end up on the floor.
A nice thing about the garage is that there is room for a big table to do the folding.
I picked up an old door that was no longer wanted and turned that in to a nice smooth, clothes folding, workbench.

There are special mesh bags so delicates can be put in the dryer. Or dry delicates for a shorter time like 10 minutes or before they are completely dry, enough to get the wrinkles out, then hang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: