Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

deaf people dont hear sirens either. how is that different. I like to wear my noise cancelling headphones WITHOUT music attached just to get rid of ambient noise from my car. I can hear sirens and other noises perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Answer to OP: yes
It's also illegal. Unlike people with headphones, deaf people don't have the option to be un-deaf at will, so the law makes some provisions for them. I believe they have some extra hurdles to jump through before getting a CA DL though.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 158,326 times
a person from my high school was driving and she was hit by someone wearing headphones. He was also a meth addict.

she was in the hospital for a few days because of it.

i hate it when people text message while they drive. One of my friends was killed when he drifted into the other lane becasue he was texting.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
Hearing sirens or horns is not as important as some imply. There are many vehicles that make so much noise that it wouldn't matter. Some trucks make so much noise that people could hardly hold a conversation in it. Motor cyclist have several things against hearing clearly wind, helmets, and the sound that a lot of the bikes make. Some models of cars pride themselves on sound quieting abilities. Let us not forget that the if a person has the windows up they can raise the volume at a high level that won't get them pulled over for noise violations but could still damage their hearing and most definitely cancel any sound outside of the vehicle. We all have several mirrors and using our eyes we can drive safely just fine.

Using cell phones can present problems such as texting, dialing, or holding it while talking. Finding a safer way of using cell phones while driving has been addressed by voice command dialing, speed dialing, hands free devices (headsets both mono and stereo), speaker modes, ect. Some of the things mentioned cost extra to buy to both be safer for ourselves and to appease those who question the way we have handled this technology.

The complaints of past was that people are fooling around with their radios to much changing channels, playing with the volume, putting in cassetts, or changing CDs. I am not saying that people don't screw up doing these things. I know that people mess up doing many things while driving but keep in mind that the same person who was dancing and gesturing to the music would still do it with or without headphones. Should everyone be punished because some don't handle themselves properly. Here is another thought that someone on a long drive can stay more alert talking to someone on the phone (using the devices to make things more safe) or listening to audio books, music, podcasts, ect.

There are more major issues like state of mind like being distraught, angry, exhausted. People will always find distractions like drinking, eating, putting on make-up, ect. There is no easy solution to all of the problems we have with bad drivers.

For a site on some of the laws is here: http://www.drivinglaws.org/indexhf.php

Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 12,121 times
Default makes sense, but pointless & contradictory law

Yes, this law is pointless since the root reasoning behind it is being able to hear emergency vehicles, yet there are so many other situations you can put yourself in where you can legally not be able to hear. Remove this law, or correct all other related laws to uphold the same justification.

Questioning why the deaf are allowed to drive then is the reason I stumbled onto this page in the first place. If you truly weren't allowed to do anything that impeded your awareness and the ability to hear sirens, then you cannot drive if you are deaf, regardless of what you think your rights are. Yet deaf people are allowed to drive. It is already widely accepted by law that driving is a privilege and not a right.

I do think that it is inherently unsafe for deaf people to be allowed to drive vehicles. It's as illegal as allowing captain hook (with his hook) through security and onto a plane because it is his *prosthetic device*. Captain hook doesn't have a *right* to fly.

And now they get to have class action lawsuits because the call boxes in CA are not "deaf friendly"? what is this crap man? none of the drive through windows in town are deaf friendly (which should be better for their health though). either are the announcements at any sporting event or the music in a strip club. why would we continue to spend a never ending stream of money to accomodate you mr. deaf guy/girl? just to be nice? I don't think so.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I went through the hassle of going hands free / single ear and I still see all kinds of people with no headset for their phone, and as noted above, people with illegal two ear head sets. Nothing is done. Almost zero enforcement.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I've seen several people reading books while driving. That's one I never understood.
While driving down 101, there was a major traffic jam. I totally got a chapter of one of my books in during this. Aside from traffic jams though, I'd never do it.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
While driving down 101, there was a major traffic jam...
So we got out, opened up the cooler, and sold enough beer to break even at the show at Shoreline. Always be ready for traffic jams .

Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Did you 'hear' about the thread that was brought back from the dead?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
I'm now used to seeing people swerving and not keeping up with traffic. I usually always confirm my suspicion as I pass them and see they're trying to text while driving. Yes, it's one thing as a teen, their ignorance is not entirely excusable, but to see an idiot adult it's a bit absurd. I'm sorry, I have little sympathy for those who text and talk on the cell phone while driving, walking, shopping while in any public place of business, and even in line for the airport. But if it's a fun convo that I will enjoy while standing in line and there may be some level of entertainment, that is fine. But usually it's all about some joker who thinks he's so important that he must torture the rest of us in the airport queues or the waiting for the drivers at the airports, or the insecure spouses who cannot make a purchase or rent a video without the endorsement of their spouses that drive me insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose