U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM

165 posts, read 627,799 times

Advertisements

I was just curious...in the 3 months that I've lived here, twice I have been approached by kids who hang around right outside your door and ask you to subscribe to Mercury News or some newspaper so they get enough points to go to college...

Firstly, is this a scam of some sort or is it for real? The kids tell stories like they graduated from high school with a 3.50+ GPA and stuff.

Secondly, does the Mercury News or whatever paper that is, think asking kids to knock on doors and cold call people is a better way of promoting college degrees as opposed to providing monetary assistance to deserving kids?

Pretty confused after the 2nd time this happened...I wish the best for deserving kids but just want to make sure it's not a racket of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 241,593 times
There have been quite a few stories of late that some of these magazine subscription solicitors are a scam in the sense that you overpay for the subscription and the kids are basically being paid very low wages and their back stories are totally bogus.

Now, there are legitimate magazine drives as many schools in the area do have their students sell subscriptions as a fundraiser for the schools but the students would tell you that it is to fund extracurricular activities at the school.

The points for college thing sounds like a scam to me but you can always call the Mercury News to confirm.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM

Thank you. I will call them to check. It's disturbing the see the kids soliciting around and I hope the ones running this program have no malevolent intentions.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 AM

58 posts, read 226,631 times
Any legitimate solicitation of a product that is ordered should have a brochure, marketing material, etc with a phone number to call to verify. I will ask for a company name and even the senior company if there is one and then search the web for info. and possible bad rep. before I would buy anything.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 16,472 times
Door to door solicitation in Sunnyvale requires a license. That license must be specific to the individual (it's non-transferable, cannot be issued to the "manager" or whatever) and *must* be on their person. It is also illegal, even *with* a permit, to solicit a house or complex with a "no soliciting" sign displayed. You can call the non-emergency police phone line to report them.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 15,700 times
Unfortunately it is a scam, please see a much larger set of information at: [url=http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/san-jose-mercury-news-c97205.html?sort=datea&page=1]San jose mercury news Complaints - annoying phone calls and repeat billings[/url]

Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,705,323 times
I had some high school student drop by my apartment when I was living at Stanford. I refused to go along with it since the whole thing seemed fishy, eventually he got an attitude, and asked something like "Don't you want to help me out", and I said something to the extent, "Not if this is the only way", and he got pissed off and left. I don't care who they are, I don't want solicitors in the residential areas on campus.

Well it is a good thing I didn't sign up for it, my roommate who still lives at the same apartment at Stanford supposedly signed up for a subscription for the San Francisco Chronicle, it never came, and then they started sending him bills.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Interestingly, a few months back, I had another kid knock on my door. I said I didnt want any subscription but for what it is worth I could give him something. Seeing me fish out a 5 dollar bill, the kid's face flushed for a moment, yelled "Oh come on, you guys can do better than that!", grabbed the money from my hand and ran away without even saying thanks.

Mighty nice way of paying for an education, ain't it?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM

471 posts, read 1,047,927 times
They're staking out your place. They want to see if you are home in the day. They want to get a feel for if you live alone or not. They are looking over your shoulder to see how nice the place is and if it's worth coming back to rob.

Oh, sure, I'll be there are plenty of legit kids trying to earn college money, or points for a trip to DC, or whatever it is... but in general I would be suspicious.

I'm a really nice guy, but the solicitors find me to be a stern-faced a-hole. You'd be wise to do the same.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 12,319,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
They're staking out your place.
I'd have to agree with this. Happened a bunch of times to us, with the last one being an extremely persistent kid who stuck his foot in the door so we couldn't close it, after saying about a dozen times we didn't want a subscription. And got pissed at us for not buying, of course.

Could actually be a home invasion situation in some cases, with older guys using a kid as a ruse to get somebody to open their door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose