Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 AM

10 posts, read 34,832 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Foster City. Wondering where the most affordable place you be to live that meet the following standards.

1. Family oriented middle class decent neighborhood
2. 30-45 min. or less commute to Foster City during work week
3. Good school districts
4. Good restaurants and grocery stores especially South Asian (Indian)

Our price range for 2 bed 2 bath apartment is around $2000

I have looked into this forum and it seems that following towns may fit in to our requirement

Mountain View
Sunnyvale
Fremont

I do not know the area very well so any help would be great. Thank you all for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,565,128 times
I would actually live closer to Foster City. The commute up 101 is insane. You may want to post this in the S.F. forum as it's closer to Foster City.

But if you must, I like M.V. the best out of the 3 listed. Then Sunnyvale, and I wouldn't even consider Fremont for commuting purposes. They are all very nice towns though.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,828,488 times
I agree on Fremont. It meets the other criteria, but I wouldn't want to make that commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
But if you must, I like M.V. the best out of the 3 listed. Then Sunnyvale, and I wouldn't even consider Fremont for commuting purposes. They are all very nice towns though.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,818,996 times
I agree with what the other posters said. Skip Fremont. The cummute is a drag. Mountain View would be the closest and has the most character of the 3 towns (has a cute downtown), but is also probably the most expensive.

Sunnyvale is pleasant but very dull in that it is full of uninspiring cookie cutter tract houses and apartments.

I agree with the idea of trying to live as close to Foster City as possible. The commute here is terrible. And the state of CA is considering raising the gas tax by 39 cents a gallon. Why not look for a home right in Foster City itself?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM

58 posts, read 273,880 times
Not to be a chicken-little but it should be said; I don't recommend moving to any urban areas as the economic situation is going to get extremely worse before it even looks like a turn-a-round. I highly recommend a move to a rural area where you can be as self-sufficient as possible. Even if one has a promise of steady employment, dealing with foreseeable surroundings and the lack of available food won't be comfortable at all.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM

858 posts, read 1,141,756 times
I would also consider Burlingame and Millbrae which are north on 101 from Foster City. Its a good commute. Its also closer to the City if you like to explore San Francisco.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 PM

15 posts, read 42,262 times
Default Why not Foster City?

Why not live in Foster City? Very good elementary/middle schools, lots of parks, and very diverse (Ranch 99 supermarket). No real downtown, but San Mateo is close. Mountain View/Sunnyvale are nice, but be careful since there is a large disparity in school quality, depending on which part of town you're in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose