Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM

215 posts, read 1,534,004 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to California, Is Silicon Valley, oversaturated with Tech folks to the point that the job market is tight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Yes? It was oversaturated with tech folks even before the bust.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 AM

215 posts, read 1,534,004 times
is the job market pretty tight because of heavy competition?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Very competitive with Shrink Wrap Software, Engineering and IT giants.

However, there are many Small Ventures, Support, Customer Service and Sales Based IT companies that will take anyone...for a lower salary that is.

If you want to get into Google or Apple you will be competing with the best in the world (MIT, Stanford, CalTech types, Chinese, Indians who have studied all their lives lol).

Most Interviews in Silicon Valley will be academic (math, algorithms, lot's of pseudo programming) and very long.
My interview at Google 2 years ago was 3 hours of problems on blackboards, I missed 2 out of 6 and didn't get that job in Mountain View. I would imagine it is much tougher now, with there being so many people out of work.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-08-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Very competitive with Shrink Wrap Software, Engineering and IT giants.

However, there are many Small Ventures, Support, Customer Service and Sales Based IT companies that will take anyone...for a lower salary that is.

If you want to get into Google or Apple you will be competing with the best in the world (MIT, Stanford, CalTech types, Chinese, Indians who have studied all their lives lol).

Most Interviews in Silicon Valley will be academic (math, algorithms, lot's of pseudo programming) and very long.
My interview at Google 2 years ago was 3 hours of problems on blackboards, I missed 2 out of 6 and didn't get that job in Mountain View. I would imagine it is much tougher now, with there being so many people out of work.
True post. Silicon Valley is bustling full of super smart folks with amazing educations. If you are at the top of your game and very specialized you will get a job. My GF's dad is a top notch hardware engineer with 25years of experience, and he is playing companies... He worked with Apple for like 2 months, didn't like it, interviewed at Google and got a job there. At GOOGLE, wtf do they need a hardware guy for? I don't know, but the dude is at the top of his game.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
True post. Silicon Valley is bustling full of super smart folks with amazing educations. If you are at the top of your game and very specialized you will get a job. My GF's dad is a top notch hardware engineer with 25years of experience, and he is playing companies... He worked with Apple for like 2 months, didn't like it, interviewed at Google and got a job there. At GOOGLE, wtf do they need a hardware guy for? I don't know, but the dude is at the top of his game.
Google would need hardware engineers because they have many appliances as shown below, but they also have a large proprietary grid system to host their search engine in the Googleplex.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Google would need hardware engineers because they have many appliances as shown below, but they also have a large proprietary grid system to host their search engine in the Googleplex.
Ah, true. And they did make that G-phone.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Well...there's always Fry's.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Define tech folks....are you talking Semiconductors, HW OEMs, Software OEMs, Resellers of all of above, Distributors of all of above, Marketing for all of above, etc.

This is tech mecca...if you a traditional programmer, you may have to compete with alot of talent, but if you also bring very specific management and business skills, then you will be fine. But these skills take time to develop.

I suggest tarheting tech within companies that correlate well with industries you have serviced prior.

Stay away from Adobe, Google, etc because they are household names that everyone is trying to get into, and to add, working there is not all it is cracked up to be..

Smaller companies are the heart of what keeps the valley going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose