Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM

170 posts, read 446,601 times

Advertisements

We'll be in the area for two days next month. We thought it would be helpful to have someone show us around so we have an idea what a $1500-1800 month apartment looks like (in case my husband gets a job offer). Do realtors help with sort of thing in the Bay area? In Austin, it's more common to just use a realtor for a home purchase but we have no plans to buy a home if we move to California. If this is a common way to find a rental, do you have any recommendations for a good realtor? Some of you have suggested we might like Mountain View so we would start looking at places there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
I tried using Prudential to see rentals in Burlingame.. they had me put down a deposit, gave me the keys and let me go check them out on my own.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,176 times
there is bayrentals.com, you pay a fee but you get up-to-date info on houses for rent, you make the calls to the owners and set appointments yourself. I tried to go to rwaltors but even in this economy they were not available to even answer my phone calls.
Try craigslist also, lately a lot of houses for rent, with prices going slightly down.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM

180 posts, read 694,386 times
Default Relocation company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
We'll be in the area for two days next month. We thought it would be helpful to have someone show us around so we have an idea what a $1500-1800 month apartment looks like (in case my husband gets a job offer). Do realtors help with sort of thing in the Bay area? In Austin, it's more common to just use a realtor for a home purchase but we have no plans to buy a home if we move to California. If this is a common way to find a rental, do you have any recommendations for a good realtor? Some of you have suggested we might like Mountain View so we would start looking at places there.
Is your husband's prospective company relocating you? If so, you may be assigned a relocation agent who would arrange this sort of thing.

My company handles the corporate relocation for the R&D office of a large company in Palo Alto and they contract us to do what they call 'look and see' trips. The person may be buying or renting, but they pay us to take them around for few days to show them all the available options as well as educate them on the various neighborhoods and also help negotiate better rates/terms on the lease for them (private or property management).

I would check w/ your husband's prospective company first, and if they don't offer this service, feel free to contact me. Info in my profile.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 AM

21 posts, read 119,304 times
Craigslist is a great place to start -- I think 95% of all rentals are likely on there.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,295 times
I agree with san carlos. I think that most people use craigslist for listing their rentals. I have noticed that the ones that are on realtor.com or listed with property management companies are WAY overpriced. I think it is because the property management company takes a cut so the rent is higher to make up the difference.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM

21 posts, read 119,304 times
Jay is right. It used to be that you needed a Realtor to handle the paperwork, even on a rental. But a homeowner can print a boilerplate rental agreement right off the internet, and place a free ad on craigslist -- so the owner of the rental can get the unit rented for essentially nothing. Realtors don't bring any value to this transaction, with the exception of possibly giving you advice on the neighborhood or the community. I think most homeowners are comfortable working directly with potential renters.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM

93 posts, read 317,978 times
I ended up using a Realtor to help me find a place. I had to work fast, and they were the most responsive with pictures of places and other information. I was uneasy about reports of underwater homeowners putting their places up for rent and then being foreclosed, so rather than get scammed, I decided to take the safer route and go with someone who had at least a marginal stake in making me a satisfied renter (and perhaps a potential homeowner in the future).

Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 AM

180 posts, read 694,386 times
Glad to hear that it worked out for you =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose