U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,359,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree for the most part. SJ is pretty well integrated...although it doesn't have much of a community feeling. It's more everyone is off doing their own thing and as long as you're not doing anything really annoying, people will be pretty tolerant. The biggest down side to SJ is the cost of living. Yes, I know, it was fine for you...but you had a good paying job as a software developer and lived here at a time when real estate costs as a multiple of the area's median income were generally lower than they are now (especially in the 70s, although maybe not so much by the 2nd time you lived here). Those who work outside the tech industry have a much harder time with the cost of living here.
I have said many times that San Jose is NOT a good place to move to if you don't work in the high tech field. Of course there are exceptions but not very many. Housing was pretty high there in 2006. We sold our home in Livermore in 2002 for $600K ( paid $450K brand new in 2000 ). It was a new 2500 sq. ft. detached home. It sold again in 2006 for $849K. It is now worth about $550K according to Zillow. In 2006 we lived in Sunnyvale. About 1/2 mile from us were 6 new homes for sale in a cul de sac. They were modest homes about 2,000 sq.ft. priced at $1 - 1.2 million. As far as affordability, I don't think San Jose is much worse than San Diego based on income vs COL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM

770 posts, read 483,160 times
Reload this Page What San Jose is Really Like...

Well, apparently, people who feel compelled to reply to threads that are almost 4 years old ...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM

14,088 posts, read 11,723,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I have said many times that San Jose is NOT a good place to move to if you don't work in the high tech field
Yes, I do recall you saying that in another post, but that vibe didn't come through on this one.

Quote:
Of course there are exceptions but not very many. Housing was pretty high there in 2006. We sold our home in Livermore in 2002 for $600K ( paid $450K brand new in 2000 ). It was a new 2500 sq. ft. detached home. It sold again in 2006 for $849K. It is now worth about $550K according to Zillow. In 2006 we lived in Sunnyvale. About 1/2 mile from us were 6 new homes for sale in a cul de sac. They were modest homes about 2,000 sq.ft. priced at $1 - 1.2 million. As far as affordability, I don't think San Jose is much worse than San Diego based on income vs COL.
You are probably right about SJ versus SD in terms of affordability. Prices are lower in SD, but everyone in the SD forums says that wages there are shockingly low for such a high cost area.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM

6,769 posts, read 16,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, I do recall you saying that in another post, but that vibe didn't come through on this one.

You are probably right about SJ versus SD in terms of affordability. Prices are lower in SD, but everyone in the SD forums says that wages there are shockingly low for such a high cost area.
Always happens in areas with resort-like weather. Take a look at the median income in Key West - just $47K household, and the average housing value is almost $500K. The retirees are crowding out the people they expect to serve them.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 AM

41 posts, read 36,418 times
I'm 37 and have lived in San Jose my whole life.. I actually hate what its become. I liked it better when there were less Asians and Indians.. They have completely taken over this city.. The rent is out of this world and most people I grew up with blue collar hard working folks have had to move away or even out of state.. Yes its beautiful here and there are lots of events going on and things to do but its VERY expensive.. If you're not making at LEAST 60k here its not worth being here unless you have two incomes (married people, or roommates).. The job market has been improving but CA has the highest unemployed %.. One bedroom apartments range from 1100-2100..just insane..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM

563 posts, read 307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariarox76 View Post
I'm 37 and have lived in San Jose my whole life.. I actually hate what its become. I liked it better when there were less Asians and Indians.. They have completely taken over this city.. The rent is out of this world and most people I grew up with blue collar hard working folks have had to move away or even out of state.. Yes its beautiful here and there are lots of events going on and things to do but its VERY expensive.. If you're not making at LEAST 60k here its not worth being here unless you have two incomes (married people, or roommates).. The job market has been improving but CA has the highest unemployed %.. One bedroom apartments range from 1100-2100..just insane..
Can you explain how the Asians and Indians have 'ruined' San Jose. And what about Hispanics?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Can you explain how the Asians and Indians have 'ruined' San Jose. And what about Hispanics?
They haven't ruined San Jose. The Hispanics have been in San Jose since the day it was founded. One of the things I love about the San Jose area is the diversity and how well integrated it is.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
They haven't ruined San Jose. The Hispanics have been in San Jose since the day it was founded. One of the things I love about the San Jose area is the diversity and how well integrated it is.
I was just trying to find out his reasoning. I wholeheartedly disagree about the integration part though.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
I was just trying to find out his reasoning. I wholeheartedly disagree about the integration part though.
It is very well integrated compared to other cities. Except for Los Gatos, everywhere I lived in the valley had all different folks living on our street.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM

Doesn't look that integrated to me other than a few areas. This was from 2000 though, and things in the Bay Area have changed a lot since then.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose