Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
It's two different density calculations. The population weighted density is meant to capture the densities surrounding people where they live, so it does exclude uninhabited lands. The Census Bureau calculates it from the densities of census tracts. The other density figure is people divided by land area. That number is alright if you want to get an average of how heavily the land is occupied. But because it includes a lot of uninhabited land, it understates the densities at which people actually live.
Thank you for the clarification. Do you have a link??? I would really like to see that info in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
It ain't a fifties white people, 2.4 children, white picket fence world anymore, especially not in SJ.

Actually, Huxley lifted the title from Shakespeare:
I agree with you on that one, then.

I didn't know he quoted Shakespeare...interesting. But his brave new world is a horror nonetheless, and much of it is come to pass (along with Orwell's).

Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
This is an old thread...I agree mostly with the op except that I don't think San Jose is particularly clean. In fact, I think it's embarassingly dirty. Yes, there are plenty of places that are worse, but that's no excuse. I've vistied Hong Kong. That place, with far more people living much closer together is a LOT cleaner. They have plain clothes police officers that will hand you a $500.00 ticket for littering. We need that here.
I don't know what other U.S. cities you've visited, but to call San Jose "embarrassingly dirty" is ridiculous. Check out other big cities in this country and see how they compare; bet that opinion will change fast.

San Jose might be the most boring/nondescript city of its size in the country, but it's a very clean city. Seeing litter on the sidewalk/street is an exception, not the norm from what I've seen. Other cities it's far more prevalent and normal.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Still not enough. Talk to me again about how clean San Jose is when it's #2 in the WORLD.
It does pretty well for a place with a lot of homeless and low-income citizens. If you wish it would improve it's rankings, would you care to impart to us what part you're doing to help this?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
Here's the link for population weighted density data Population density profiles - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
America’s Top 5 Cleanest Cities

#2 San Jose, California
(San Benito and Santa Clara counties)

America's Top 5 Cleanest Cities | Reader's Digest
While I agree that San Jose is very clean, that same list had San Francisco as #5 which isn't correct. I wonder what they use to measure.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
I don't know what other U.S. cities you've visited, but to call San Jose "embarrassingly dirty" is ridiculous. Check out other big cities in this country and see how they compare; bet that opinion will change fast.

San Jose might be the most boring/nondescript city of its size in the country, but it's a very clean city. Seeing litter on the sidewalk/street is an exception, not the norm from what I've seen. Other cities it's far more prevalent and normal.
Sometimes I wonder what planet people are from when they say stuff like SJ is very dirty. I either think they're trolling or they've never been anywhere outside the zip code they live in . Although I will concede parts of East SJ DO have a lot of litter. I have lived and worked over on that side of town and I was constantly picking up litter....but compared to other bad neighborhoods in other cities, it is still fairly livable.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Here's the link for population weighted density data Population density profiles - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
Thank you!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
This is an old thread...I agree mostly with the op except that I don't think San Jose is particularly clean. In fact, I think it's embarassingly dirty. Yes, there are plenty of places that are worse, but that's no excuse. I've vistied Hong Kong. That place, with far more people living much closer together is a LOT cleaner. They have plain clothes police officers that will hand you a $500.00 ticket for littering. We need that here.
Yes, my bf went to Hong Kong and said the same thing....it's uber clean.

I don't know about $500 tickets, but $50 tickets would work for me.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, my bf went to Hong Kong and said the same thing....it's uber clean.

I don't know about $500 tickets, but $50 tickets would work for me.
The fine for littering in Hong Kong is HK$1500, or about US$194.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose