U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM

14,120 posts, read 11,752,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The fine for littering in Hong Kong is HK$1500, or about US$194.
That's still a lot. I think $50 is enough if it is aggressively enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 AM

41 posts, read 36,447 times
I've been in San Jose over 30 years. It is my home, the weather is great, the diversity is huge, although now it feels more like an invasion but that's just my opinion. It's very safe in most areas. Lots to do. However, in order to live here comfortably you need to be making at least 100k. Many people I grew up with had to leave because the COL and rent/mortgages are out of control. So if you have lots of money then come on down. Right now the only thing I love is the Hockey team! Go Sharks!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariarox76 View Post
I've been in San Jose over 30 years. It is my home, the weather is great, the diversity is huge, although now it feels more like an invasion but that's just my opinion. It's very safe in most areas. Lots to do. However, in order to live here comfortably you need to be making at least 100k. Many people I grew up with had to leave because the COL and rent/mortgages are out of control. So if you have lots of money then come on down. Right now the only thing I love is the Hockey team! Go Sharks!

I do think that the COL is really SJ's hugest drawback. If money is no object than you honestly can live a very nice life here. Even not including surrounding upscale towns like Los Gatos, Saratoga, etc. the city of SJ itself has many very nice neighborhoods. There are plenty of upscale neighborhoods here for those with the means to afford to live in them. Unfortunately, life here for the middle class and poor is not so good though.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM

6,770 posts, read 16,484,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
To me, San Jose always felt like someone cut a little chunk of Southern California off and dropped it right on the South Bay, just to mess with San Francisco...
I think it's quite a bit like Orange County, but of course people from both places would lynch me for saying so.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,376,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I think it's quite a bit like Orange County, but of course people from both places would lynch me for saying so.
We don't do the Megachurch for MegaProfits thing here. Life behind the Orange Curtain ain't all roses and riches these days:
Robert Schuller, Crystal Cathedral Founder, Bankruptcy Bid Largely Rejected

But the Crystal Cathedral would make for a pretty neat concert/dance hall:

We in the Silicon Valley will continue to concern ourselves with startups and other tech stuff. We good like that. Maybe we can turn Hangar One into a dancehall...

Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM

3,444 posts, read 1,347,294 times
I would say San Jose gets under-rated because of its neighbors. The most scenic part of the SJ region is clearly the Los Gatos / Saratoga area in the southwest...both naturally speaking and the fact those two towns preserved more historic buildings in their downtown areas than other cities in the area.

As to ethnic groups moving in, that is fine. However, English must be emphasized more. That is our country's language and many California cities have become lax. If I moved to another country, I would learn the language.

I do like Willow Glen and Lincoln Avenue is one of the few truly walkable streets in the city outside downtown San Jose. Certainly with San Francisco and Napa Valley to the north and Santa Cruz and Monterey not far away on the coast San Jose probably could not be a true tourist destination if it tried. What it does do is steer the business visitors to an attraction or two in their limited spare time. The Winchester House is an easier "sell" though, because of the Santana Row/Valleyfair right next door. A common lament among long time residents is that yet another visiting relative wants to see the Winchester House (after seeing San Francisco first time permitting!).

The city has made strides. I think one of the town's hidden gems is the Hayes Mansion in south San Jose next to a small park. I believe there are two restaurants there. It is used for weddings a lot on summer Saturdays. I used to live not far away. It is nice they preserved that in an otherwise ordinary/mundane neighborhood with a lot of mini-malls on the major streets.

The scenery can be nice depending on where you are. I know someone who lives in the hills above the Berryessa neighborhood and has a very nice view. I would not use the word "spectacular" as someone else did. That is reserved for the coast or areas near the Bay.

It will continue to be a somewhat workaholic area and is very ethnically diverse, but I think there is more balance today. They want to leave the office early enough to make it to those Sharks games these days!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM

14,120 posts, read 11,752,260 times
Quote:
We've had that discussion before. I'd say the San Fernando Valley is a better comparison than OC...at least in the look & feel of the place. But SJ also has a bit of a NorCal vibe, too...so it's a mix of the two...in mostly good ways, I think. The bad part really is the COL in all of the above places. Also, I would prefer a more dense urban core...not SF dense, but a larger urban area around downtown....which is starting to happen, albeit slowly...but it's encouraging.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 PM

3,444 posts, read 1,347,294 times
I forgot to add that a fallout of the recent pension/benefit reductions is the city has been losing police officers at a record pace and it is a cause for concern. There are too many other cities that offer the police more generous benefits. Some burglaries and other crimes have recently happened even in neighborhoods that never had a problem before. Maybe it should have been phased in more slowly with exemptions for officers with 10+ years on the job. There are no easy answers and of course...hindsight is 20/20. BTW, I got this information from family and a friend I still know in San Jose and read an article.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM

338 posts, read 328,957 times
Quote:
That's a comparison straight from right field. I don't see it.

*A lot of Orange Country is along the coast with beautiful beaches and views. Far superior beaches as far as swimming and sun versus Santa Cruz.
*OC has Disneyland
*OC actually has tourists that visit.. That should say something.
*Attractive women... probably a higher percentage of singles also.
*Better weather
*More social area; based on my perception and knowing the workaholic nature of SJ.
*Centrally located between two big cities in LA and SD.

Their similarities are that they're both generally safe, clean, and expensive. Despite the attitude you hear about down there; Orange County is a cool and popular place for many of the reasons I listed. San Jose (and Santa Clara County) is not.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,376,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
That's a comparison straight from right field. I don't see it.

*A lot of Orange Country is along the coast with beautiful beaches and views. Far superior beaches as far as swimming and sun versus Santa Cruz.
*OC has Disneyland
*OC actually has tourists that visit.. That should say something.
*Attractive women... probably a higher percentage of singles also.
*Better weather
*More social area; based on my perception and knowing the workaholic nature of SJ.
*Centrally located between two big cities in LA and SD.

Their similarities are that they're both generally safe, clean, and expensive. Despite the attitude you hear about down there; Orange County is a cool and popular place for many of the reasons I listed. San Jose (and Santa Clara County) is not.
Up here, people work hard to further the cause of scientific inquiry and enterprise.

Down in OC: Same ol' Jesus crap as imported from flyover country, infused with fake tans/boobs and cars and houses that people don't really own, but pretend to.

But you guys can have the cheesy tourists and religious wingnuts. We'll take the world's leading innovators instead.

(So Young. So Cute. So Hip. So Rich. So White)

Who couldn't love...The OC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose