U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,091 times
Question Living in the South Bay area without a car? HELP!!!

I am moving to Sunnyvale this summer for an internship and I am wondering: do I need a car? The apartment complex is very close to the CalTrain station, where the Yahoo! shuttle will take me to and from my internship... which is nice but it is possible to live and travel without the use of a car? It is a 26+ hour trip that I don't want to take, but I am a 23 year old female who is nervous about walking the streets of the south bay area alone. Is this a safe area? Any advice? Is there any public trans to AVOID? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-13-2009, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,390 times
I have lived here for 3 years and I do not have a car. I walk/bike everywhere and always feel safe (I'm 34/m). This is pretty much a walking city, like NYC or Chicago.

Unread 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM

6,488 posts, read 14,949,442 times
Sunnyvale's downtown is walkable, and you can take the 32 bus to the big-box stores Walmart and Target in Mountain View.

Unread 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM

5,550 posts, read 9,227,285 times
You can get by around the central part of the city and immediate surroundings. Because of the weather and topography, many choose to bike. I wouldn't go without car if I lived in the outer reaches, though. You can get from San Francisco or Gilroy to downtown by transit faster than you can do so from Evergreen.

Unread 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM

12,693 posts, read 9,665,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenIntern View Post
I am moving to Sunnyvale this summer for an internship and I am wondering: do I need a car? The apartment complex is very close to the CalTrain station, where the Yahoo! shuttle will take me to and from my internship... which is nice but it is possible to live and travel without the use of a car? It is a 26+ hour trip that I don't want to take, but I am a 23 year old female who is nervous about walking the streets of the south bay area alone. Is this a safe area? Any advice? Is there any public trans to AVOID? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
As far as safety goes, that is not too big of a problem. Sunnyvale and most of the rest of the South Bay has a much lower than average crime rate for a large metropolitan area. That's not to say nothing bad happens....but it's definitely much safer than average.

As far as transit goes....it might be possible to live without a car if you can get to work without one (and you don't work too far outside the 8-5 M-F time slot). But the trasnit here in the South Bay is mediocre at best and I think it's fair to say it's hard to enjoy life here without a car. I might add that I live a block away from my job and I still have my car, even thought I would love to give it up. (Transit is slow, terrible, or non-existent on nights and weekends).

However, I think if you combine modes of tansit (biike/mass transit--all the buses have bike racks, I think) and don't mind doing that, you'll be ok. If you are only going to be here for a short period of time (6 months or less), then you'll probably be ok. But living without a car in this area is not something I'd do long term (as is true for most American cities).

Unread 04-14-2009, 12:44 AM

6,488 posts, read 14,949,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
However, I think if you combine modes of tansit (biike/mass transit--all the buses have bike racks, I think) and don't mind doing that, you'll be ok. If you are only going to be here for a short period of time (6 months or less), then you'll probably be ok. But living without a car in this area is not something I'd do long term (as is true for most American cities).
All the buses have bike racks, but only two apiece. I've been kicked off of buses, mainly the 22, because there just wasn't any space inside for the machine. And the problems with taking bikes on Caltrain are well documented.

Unread 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM

7,606 posts, read 8,358,464 times
It can be done. Master Cal Train, light rail and bus schedules and particularly learn the buses with longer hours of operation. Caution - there are some bus lines, the 22 and others along El Camino in particular, that have some questionable characters riding on them. But most are not that way. Concur with biking comments - flat land, with lots of alternate routes to heavy traffic thoroughfares can be found throughout the South Bay.

Unread 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM

12,693 posts, read 9,665,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
All the buses have bike racks, but only two apiece. I've been kicked off of buses, mainly the 22, because there just wasn't any space inside for the machine. And the problems with taking bikes on Caltrain are well documented.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose