Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 70,244 times

Advertisements

Thank You, I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaney View Post
What's in South San Jose? Ghetto & Gangs?
How about Mountain View area or SunnyVale? Milipitas?
Since no one answered this part of your question, I will.

South San Jose covers a rather large swath of San Jose (generally zip code 95123). It is cookie cutter/nondescript, but mostly a solidly middle class area. It has its dumpy pockets, but is generally ok. The part of South San Jose that adjoins Los Gatos is a little nicer than its other sections. The post that alluded to it being a bad area is inaccurate.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
B_R

5 posts, read 14,493 times
I would tend to agree with BayAreaHillbilly on most of his/her points, but Los Gatos has as many young families as it does retirees. Really, don't you find that mix everywhere? There are some 20 something singles and couples, but there are fewer apts in LG versus SJ or neighboring Campbell and the rents are higher, so you would find less than in those towns.

I think most people in South Bay make it to SF less than they would like, me included. It's just too far. Still, we make it there several times a year for shows, touristy stuff when friends are in town, and occasional ball games at AT&T park. I think the same would be true if you were in Santa Rosa/Sebastopol, which is pretty equal in distance from SF. The interesting thing is that LG was a vacation destination for SF residents way back at the end of the 1800s, early 1900s. Affluent people would build their summer homes there because of close proximity to Santa Cruz by train and the mostly hot sunny weather as opposed to the often foggy conditions on the coast in the summer. Many of the older estates were built by wealthy San Franciscan's. It's a short hop to Santa Cruz over highway 17 these days.

Saratoga is way too expensive and even older (resident wise) than Los Gatos. Schools are a bit better. They share a school district with Los Gatos, but Saratoga High consistently tests better and places higher in "best high school" surveys. In fact, in the 2009 Newsweek top 1300 HS survey Saratoga came out like 243 and LG was 525. The LG primary school system is really good though. We have a daughter in Fisher Middle School and it's a great school. Very involved parents, innovative educators and a rich curriculum.

If you are looking for tech work you are far better being in the south bay suburbs. Santa Rosa area has some tech and more is moving there, but cannot compare to the availability of jobs in Silicon Valley. I know, because I work for a company that had our primary office in Cupertino and a satellite office in Sebastopol where the company founder lives. We put our HQ in Cupertino because in the start-up world it's a better choice for proximity to the VC community and a larger talent pool. We couldn't find the engineers we needed in Sonoma county. The commute is far worse here though and you might want to consider living farther up the peninsula to be more central. You might pay less for rent in Santa Rosa, but Sebastopol and many other Sonoma communities are just as expensive as south bay, cow country or not.

As far as the myths that LG is a stuck up town, I don't know about that. All of the people we know are down to earth and just normal families. It can be a bit of a tight knit town though. Many people who grew up there come back when they are grown and know each other, so it is more of a small town like environment in that respect.

LG has a much more vibrant (if you can call it that) downtown than Saratoga. Saratoga's is dead! Better bars, more restaurants and much more foot traffic than Saratoga.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM
B_R

5 posts, read 14,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Since no one answered this part of your question, I will.

South San Jose covers a rather large swath of San Jose (generally zip code 95123). It is cookie cutter/nondescript, but mostly a solidly middle class area. It has its dumpy pockets, but is generally ok. The part of South San Jose that adjoins Los Gatos is a little nicer than its other sections. The post that alluded to it being a bad area is inaccurate.
The area is Almaden Valley and it's one of the more affluent areas in San Jose. Before Silvercreek appeared and Willow Glen became trendy, it was the most expensive area. Definitely remote, but quiet and family oriented. Pretty pastoral too with more open land and hills than other parts of San Jose.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Thanks- We are pretty down to earth people- so middle class works fine for us. The key word for me is 'class'- meaning considerate neighbors. It wouldn't work for us to have the neighbor's car up on blocks in their yard or running their machine shop out of their garage at all hours. Make sense?
We live in 'fliptopia' right now. I cant believe people are still trying to flip properties. Not a week goes by without one of the neighbors running power equipment all day long, pulling out carpet (and leaving it piled up outside for weeks) or making misc. garbage piles on their driveway.
I appreciate your thoughts. If you think of anything else, I'll be here.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Some questions about the East Bay. I have been reading some other threads about the East Bay and many seem to be of the opinion that Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Danville et al are filled with the "wanna be nouveau rich" or what someone else termed as the "credit rich" (have alot but dont own any of it).

We are just down to earth people- we manage our budget on what we make, and dont put on a show for people with the latest and greatest things. No giant SUV, no plastic surgery, no getting your kid accepted at the best kindergarten school before they are even conceived.

Thoughts?

Thank You

Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Significant social differences in all respects between the I-680 corridor and the inner East Bay. I-680 corridor is more like OC / Eastern Ventura County / etc and the inner East Bay is more like LA proper, if one were to make such an analogy.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_R View Post
The area is Almaden Valley and it's one of the more affluent areas in San Jose. Before Silvercreek appeared and Willow Glen became trendy, it was the most expensive area. Definitely remote, but quiet and family oriented. Pretty pastoral too with more open land and hills than other parts of San Jose.
Huh? I don't think so. Almaden Valley is zip code 95120 (and maybe 95119). You described a different area than the one I did.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:43 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaney View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I love Monterey & Carmel (Pacific Grove too)...love love love...we have actually looked there, but I think the commute into a high-tech area for work would be beastly, yes?

We looked at Marin County- loved Mill Valley- but not much to rent there and it's kind of packed in. Is it New Agey or is it my imagination. Not really into the whole crystals and feng shui bit.

Novato seemed..well..not for us anyway.
Larkspur? Corte Madera?
I heard San Rafael can be rough. True?

Hippy people: they smoke pot, dont shave or bathe, and let their kids run around w/o a diaper in the stores? or 'wanna be hippy': green people, solar powered homes, community garden, recycling, self sufficient? Wanna Be's I'm okay with.

What's in South San Jose? Ghetto & Gangs?
How about Mountain View area or SunnyVale? Milipitas?
Yeah, if you're in Monterey area and need to commute up HW1 to San Jose for work you'll be spending a big part of your day in the car.
Santa Cruz county is another option but you'd still have to deal with that drive over HW17 during the rush hours. And it's a b****.
However, if you have a flexible work hours and can avoid the really crazy time, it would be o.k.
I can get to San Jose from Santa Cruz (when there's no traffic) in about 30 - 35 minutes.
From Monterey, you'd need to add another 40 or so minutes. This is without traffic.
The commute from Monterey to San Jose gets really bad (during the morning commute) when you hit the Aptos area of HW1 during rush hour.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Patrick View Post
Los Gatos is a bit too close to South San Jose for comfort. For that area and price range I would look at Saratoga instead.

Since when is South San Jose considered a bad part of town? Los Gatos borders Almaden Valley which is one of the most affluent parts of SJ- not too mention less expensive than Los Gatos, despite its close proximity. Los Gatos is also close to Cambrian and Blossom Valley, neither of which are considered "bad" parts of town. There are some occasional not-so-nice pockets in South San Jose, but most are confined to the 95111 zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose