Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,024 times

Advertisements

What do you do at Cisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 PM

119 posts, read 716,600 times
my guess would be software engineer. failing that, some other type of engineer.

you asked about northpark, it's a kind of "upscale" group of apartments (they divide it into different 'clusters' and call them the sycamores or redwoods or crap like that). it's a bit more $$ than regular apartments but the grounds are nicer but it's part of a huge complex, which you may or may not like. i personally didn't want to live in apartments (and especially mega-apartment complexes (try finding parking as a visitor on weekends) so i looked for condos or townhouses on craig's list and went that route.

one other nice thing is you don't have to deal with apartment management which is what most people complain about. you avoid that by renting a condo from an owner. i mean you can still get a bad, unresponsive owner but the chances of that happening are less than an unresponsive, uncaring apartment management. and you can gauge what kind of an owner he/she is by meeting them and talking to them.

for your budget, you should be able to find plenty of options going that route, you may want to try that.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 AM

one other thing i thought of is that condos/THs are generally constructed better than apartments. meaning less noise through walls/floors/slamming doors and the like. And to add to my previous comment, the more people there are in a complex, the lower the lowest common denominator gets and 1 rotten neighbor can spoil everything real quickly as well.

also, another advantage is theft/vandalism to cars is higher in apartments. large apartments are big targets for thieves. there's reports of quite a few break-ins (cars not apartments) at both north park and elan at river oaks. and if any place touts gates, 24 hr guards and security cameras, know that those are all a big joke and the gate is especially nothing but a nuisance to the residents while not keeping anyone out.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 62,759 times
ady-I will be working as a Marketing Analyst at Cisco---do you work there also?

mgs333...I would really love to talk to you more about renting a condo--I think your idea sounds a lot better than taking the apartment route. do you know where i could go to find a condo to rent? could we talk more about this? do you know of any reputable condos in the area?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 PM

both my current place and the last place, i found through craigslist. and condos are not like apartments, they're usually one off places being rented by the owner so it's not like you'll find a bunch of condos for rent in one complex.

good luck in your search. actually, the condo i just left is probably still looking for a new tenant, the owners are really awesome, i can refer you to the craigslist ad if you want, let me know by private message. [edit: nevermind, it seems to have rented, the ad is down]

Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM

actually, it is still available, let me know if you're interested, it's in north san jose, pretty close to cisco.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 AM

20 posts, read 116,510 times
Bella Vista is nice and really close to Tasman Dr which is where Cisco is located. It is a gated community and it is a massive complex with people walking around all the time. It makes me feel safe that you're never alone walking around here.

North Park is within walking distance of several Cisco sites too. I've heard of cars getting broken into in their parking lot, but it is probably rare. There's a nice field and restaurants on the property. There are gates to get into the apartments, but street parking is open for strangers.

You might be able to get cheaper than these two places if you goto Milpitas. Otherwise, the prices here are within your budget and definitely good enough for a stress free Cisco commute.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,879 times
I think North Park is a good choice. The location is very close to Cisco system. I actually live here too.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 62,759 times
Samanthayong- Which community do you live in? Do you have any recommendations? I know there are 6 different ones!

Gotadbl--Is Milipitas a safe area? how does it compare to san jose?

thank you all!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Milpitas is safe, I lived there for a year. Parts of it smell really bad, and traffic on Calaveras Blvd. is tedious. Lots of Filipinos and Vietnamese, in fact Milpitas is one of the very few Asian majority cities. But I've lived lots of places in the Bay Area and that was the only one where I never had any problem whatsoever with the neighbors or any of the residents on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose