U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 AM
 
Location: somewhere close to Tampa, but closer to the beach
2,036 posts, read 3,105,596 times
Reputation: 1060
Texas User,

Congrats on the move and best of luck..

Interesting but true, my sister is a OB-GYN here currently..and rents.. a tiny house..which is wayy over priced..but hey, she had to be in San Jose..i don't see the thrill...

If Florida didn't exist, Texas would be the place i would relocate to..and personally, from experience, Texas has better scenery than our wonderful brown hills..and don't let me forget the always awesome Thunderstorms, wide open country..and you can actually see the stars there..Whoa!! what are those..

As for 280..it does run North/South..just not here in San Jo..think they should have noted that on the signs long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,987 posts, read 32,040,951 times
Reputation: 10600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
To live in San Jose, I think you need to make atleast about $75,000 a year minimum to live a decent lifestyle.
People act like making that is unattainable or something.

I say hop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Status: "California Uber Alles!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,484 posts, read 6,447,195 times
Reputation: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
People act like making that is unattainable or something.

I say hop to it.
Not in the non-profit biz. That kind of dough isn't even on the radar (and if it is, one would be barking up the wrong industry-tree).

Let the engineer types fight it out for that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 3,540,351 times
Reputation: 649
$75K for a single person? What do you consider "decent"? If you're not paying a mortgage you don't need that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 13,180,512 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Texas User,

Congrats on the move and best of luck..

Interesting but true, my sister is a OB-GYN here currently..and rents.. a tiny house..which is wayy over priced..but hey, she had to be in San Jose..i don't see the thrill...

If Florida didn't exist, Texas would be the place i would relocate to..and personally, from experience, Texas has better scenery than our wonderful brown hills..and don't let me forget the always awesome Thunderstorms, wide open country..and you can actually see the stars there..Whoa!! what are those..

As for 280..it does run North/South..just not here in San Jo..think they should have noted that on the signs long ago.
California has the best scenery. Nothing beats CA! Texas is flat land. Not much to see besides lot of greenery, trees and lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 13,180,512 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
People act like making that is unattainable or something.

I say hop to it.
Average person does not even make $40K a year in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 13,180,512 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
$75K for a single person? What do you consider "decent"? If you're not paying a mortgage you don't need that much.
The rent is high. A decent 1 bed/1 bed in San Jose is like $1500 a month.
Santa Clara county has the highest rate of Real Estate in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 12:30 AM
 
115 posts, read 535,031 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The rent is high. A decent 1 bed/1 bed in San Jose is like $1500 a month.
Santa Clara county has the highest rate of Real Estate in the country.
i would guess manhattan would be the highest then followed by silicon valley. both from stats i've seen as well as personal experience living there (in manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
 
Location: somewhere close to Tampa, but closer to the beach
2,036 posts, read 3,105,596 times
Reputation: 1060
TexasUser,

Have you been out west of El Paso?..or camping down along the Big Bend yet?..or over to Enchanted Rock out in the hill country?..Alot of the mountains straddling the Mexico boarder easily reach 6-8k..If you haven't yet gotten the chance to..it is definitely worth the journey..and the heritage beats ours any day..cowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Status: "California Uber Alles!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,484 posts, read 6,447,195 times
Reputation: 4514
[quote=si33;9637961]..and the heritage beats ours any day.[\quote]

Que?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top