Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

Anyone? If yes, how long ago?

What was your main reason for relocating to Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Know many wealthy guys in SV considering Dallas for tax residency to avoid CA's absurd welfare-state income tax rates

But life is too short to actually live in Dall/Hou's gruesome weather/topography/lack of decent grub/lack of many really smart guys starting valuable new cos.

Dallas is arguably a great place (esp suburban W Plano) for a young middle mgr (who has limited career aspirations) but isn't very cheap when one considers how career-limiting places like Dall/Hou can be

Funny enough, one runs into many wealthy Texans who have weekend houses on LA's Westside/Malibu to escape TX weather/lifestyle/culture; much like many SV/SF guys have wkend houses in LA to escape commie SF/PA

Old 06-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Know many wealthy guys in SV considering Dallas for tax residency to avoid CA's absurd welfare-state income tax rates

But life is too short to actually live in Dall/Hou's gruesome weather/topography/lack of decent grub/lack of many really smart guys starting valuable new cos.

Dallas is arguably a great place (esp suburban W Plano) for a young middle mgr (who has limited career aspirations) but isn't very cheap when one considers how career-limiting places like Dall/Hou can be

Funny enough, one runs into many wealthy Texans who have weekend houses on LA's Westside/Malibu to escape TX weather/lifestyle/culture; much like many SV/SF guys have wkend houses in LA to escape commie SF/PA
There are pros and cons to everything.
Hot weather has nothing to do with living shorter.
What proof do you have about smart guys starting valuable new cos?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM

242 posts, read 788,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone? If yes, how long ago?

What was your main reason for relocating to Texas?
I know of 6 people that moved to Texas from CA and they all moved back after awhile. Some didnt like the hot weather. They went to escape the expensive housing in CA. One of my buddies (she is white) has an african american husband and they area she moved to didnt like that much and kinda gave them a hard time.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
I moved to TX from the Bay Area in Oct 06. Love it even with the crazy heat waves. I live in a great neighborhood. We have great schools. Great Cost of Living. Made great friends in TX that come from all over. It was a great move for me and my family.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I know of 6 people that moved to Texas from CA and they all moved back after awhile. Some didnt like the hot weather. They went to escape the expensive housing in CA. One of my buddies (she is white) has an african american husband and they area she moved to didnt like that much and kinda gave them a hard time.
I don't it makes sense to pay high prices on items for giving up hot weather. Thats just me.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I moved to TX from the Bay Area in Oct 06. Love it even with the crazy heat waves. I live in a great neighborhood. We have great schools. Great Cost of Living. Made great friends in TX that come from all over. It was a great move for me and my family.
I moved out of Bay Area in Sep of 03. The only thing I don't like is the humidity. Other then that its great. Friendly people instead of fake and stuck up folks in CA.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
fake and stuck up folks in CA.
Yeah - only the real, "folksy" types want to secede from the Union. Please do so, so the rest of us can continue with our fake, stuck up ways, with the rest of the USA.
Yee-Haw!!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Interesting thread. I'm originally from Tennessee but I went to college in the midwest and I moved to southern Cali about 8.5 years ago. Now I can't imagine being anywhere else. To be honest, the job market and the weather is what keeps me here. I was in Houston two weeks ago and I went outside and almost FAINTED because it was so hot....sure, it's expensive to live here but eventually we adjust somehow. Granted for the price of my condo, I could have a huge house in Texas but...the weather just can't be beat!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Interesting thread. I'm originally from Tennessee but I went to college in the midwest and I moved to southern Cali about 8.5 years ago. Now I can't imagine being anywhere else. To be honest, the job market and the weather is what keeps me here. I was in Houston two weeks ago and I went outside and almost FAINTED because it was so hot....sure, it's expensive to live here but eventually we adjust somehow. Granted for the price of my condo, I could have a huge house in Texas but...the weather just can't be beat!

Job market? One of the worst unemployment rates. CA is a bankrupt state.

You are still at a big loss financially if you are going to pick weather over finance. If you look up the stats, most people who are in debt come from CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose