Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 11,512 times

Advertisements

We will be having children and want to move out of the Bay Area (we now live in Fremont), but my husband will keep his job in Milpitas and telecommute once or twice a week. We have been considering Santa Cruz, which we love for the relaxed atmosphere and (what seems to us, as visitors, anyway...) as a less stressful environment. We like the diversity of the area, and how friendly people seem. However, we have found the houses in the closer-to-17 areas (like near UCSC) to be pretty expensive for what you get.

So today we discovered Scotts Valley. It has a few good points: shorter commute, better housing prices, large lots. But we don't know this area well, and wonder if it is too conservative for us (we are very liberal, somewhat granola tree-hugger, agnostic.) I like the idea of a smaller town, but worry that Scotts Valley is too small? Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
First of all if you plan to have children then you want to be in an area with good schools. So take a look at this School Performance Map.

And the two areas you have described seem to have the best schools. So you may have already done some of this research. My wife and I really like Scotts Valley. It is a beautiful there and probably our favorite community in that area. Plus the drive would be closer for your husband when he does commute. However I am not sure of its political bent. Honestly that is not usually a determining factor for us if we like an area. So I don't pay much attention to it. But everyone has their own preferences.

There are some Santa Cruz locals who frequent the board who could probably elaborate more on the political side of things for you. Would it be a deal breaker if it was more conservative than SC? Just curious.

Derek

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoezoe1 View Post
We will be having children and want to move out of the Bay Area (we now live in Fremont), but my husband will keep his job in Milpitas and telecommute once or twice a week. We have been considering Santa Cruz, which we love for the relaxed atmosphere and (what seems to us, as visitors, anyway...) as a less stressful environment. We like the diversity of the area, and how friendly people seem. However, we have found the houses in the closer-to-17 areas (like near UCSC) to be pretty expensive for what you get.

So today we discovered Scotts Valley. It has a few good points: shorter commute, better housing prices, large lots. But we don't know this area well, and wonder if it is too conservative for us (we are very liberal, somewhat granola tree-hugger, agnostic.) I like the idea of a smaller town, but worry that Scotts Valley is too small? Anyone have any advice?
I don't get the sense that Scotts Valley is super conservative.
It's so close to Santa Cruz and i assume that there are enough non-conservative folks up there so that you wouldn't feel like an outsider.
I only drive through Scotts Valley on the way to Felton so i don't really know.
I'm surprised though that properties in Scotts Valley are less expensive than down here in Santa Cruz county.
And have you explored the entire county of S.C.?
I prefer Aptos and Soquel .... less frenetic but always within easy access of S.C. proper, Capitola, etc.
I like it closer to the ocean too. Scotts Valley is very hot and dry in the summer.
Sorry, not much help but just wanted to chime in.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,512 times
Thanks! I'm not sure if Scotts Valley is conservative? Maybe it is not at all....just trying to get a better feel of it. More conservative than Santa Cruz is fine...we just want to understand what we might be getting into. We definitely like Aptos and Soquel....but the commute would be too much for my husband (to go to Milpitas 3 or 4 times a week.) We have been recommended to stay around UCSC to minimize commute....but (at least right now) houses there are $900K+ and not that nice And it looks like we can get a pretty nice house, with a big lot, in Scotts Valley for that price, and cut my husband's commute by 10 minutes or so each way.

We'll head down there this weekend to try to get a better feel for the area.....but if anyone else has any advice, we'd appreciate it!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoezoe1 View Post
Thanks! I'm not sure if Scotts Valley is conservative? Maybe it is not at all....just trying to get a better feel of it. More conservative than Santa Cruz is fine...we just want to understand what we might be getting into. We definitely like Aptos and Soquel....but the commute would be too much for my husband (to go to Milpitas 3 or 4 times a week.) We have been recommended to stay around UCSC to minimize commute....but (at least right now) houses there are $900K+ and not that nice And it looks like we can get a pretty nice house, with a big lot, in Scotts Valley for that price, and cut my husband's commute by 10 minutes or so each way.

We'll head down there this weekend to try to get a better feel for the area.....but if anyone else has any advice, we'd appreciate it!
I wouldn't mind Scotts Valley.
It's rather lovely.
I just prefer to be closer to the coast and i love the spirit of S.C.
But you'll be close enough to catch it up there and the commute from Scotts Valley to Santa Cruz during non-rush hour times is really easy and fast.
You'll be able to get to the beach in no time.
Also, living closer to UCSC would cut down your the commute on HW1 but if your husband is going to be traveling over HW17, he'll still be dealing with that taxing drive.
In that regard, Scotts Valley would definitely be easier.
And, once you get used to it (the 17 trip) .... well, you just get used to it.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM

197 posts, read 530,037 times
Scots Valley is a bedroom community. Most people are commuters and the town shuts down past 8PM. To me, it has no culture and it's rather boring.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
We explored the idea of Scotts Valley quite extensively as we are tree hugging liberals as well. We spent time at the parks, restaurants, chatting up the locals etc... Unfortunately, we found SV to be very conservative with many residents heavily involved in organized religion which was a turn off to us. Sure you will be liberals in SV, but not in great numbers. That is why we are no longer considering it. I also agree with coolwaves assessment. It has a very mountain town feel.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Spend some time in Santa Cruz.

I live in Aptos and I've never understood why people like Santa Cruz... It's too crowded, and kind of trashy. Most of it isn't even that unique, Mission St. is like pretty much any commercial street in California, and downtown is (imo) pretty boring, after living in Santa Barbara I wouldn't really think Santa Cruz is much more interesting than Scotts Valley.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Spend some time in Santa Cruz.

I live in Aptos and I've never understood why people like Santa Cruz... It's too crowded, and kind of trashy. Most of it isn't even that unique, Mission St. is like pretty much any commercial street in California, and downtown is (imo) pretty boring, after living in Santa Barbara I wouldn't really think Santa Cruz is much more interesting than Scotts Valley.
regardless of whether or not you're impressed with santa cruz, to say that santa cruz is not more "interesting" than scotts valley is ... well ... interesting.
they are two very different places and santa cruz = "trashy"?
let's say funky and chaotic.
or let me say funky and chaotic (which scotts valley certainly is not).

Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Santa Cruz satisfies a strong niche. If you don't fall into that category, then it's easy to wonder what the fuss is about. If you're in a punk band, the love affair is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose