U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,091,747 times
In moving from Chicago to San Jose, you're trading cultures as well as housing expectations.

Maybe you should fly out, spend a week absorbing everything, then make a decision.

Housing, schools, cost of living, and ambience are much different in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM

3,778 posts, read 1,917,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmer4u View Post
I am reviewing a professional executive position with a major company and includes relocation from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago to the San Jose/Santa Clara area. If you wanted a larger home and property where would be the best? Any ideas would be great.
How is the commute from Concord to Santa Clara...too far for every day!
You're getting a lot of good advice here and I agree with the poster who referred to a move from the suburban Midwest to the Bay Area as a step down. I've been out here 19 years and have a love/hate relationship with it.

I have never owned here, so I don't have a sound basis for detailed advice on what it's going to cost you for what you are looking for. But I am very sure that $3500 won't get you anything close. And 1 acre lots are unheard of outside the most elite neighborhoods. I rent a casita (beats apartment living in every way) in an upper middle class neighborhood in the East Bay from a private homeowner. Most of these homes (last I heard) were in the million dollar neck of the woods and they are lucky to have a 10' X 20' square of grass in the front and just a little more in the back.

It's a different world out here, so I'd visit and do lots of research before committing yourself, if you haven't already.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM

19 posts, read 30,731 times
You have made some great statements and they are much appreciated. I found a rental property in Concord, that really meets all the requirements and then some. I understand the cost of living especially housing seems that everything is above the 850,000 range and for rentals seems that anything decent is over the $4000 range. Which isnt unreachable, but the problem is that the California employer is having a hard time meeting an even realistic salary given the fact that I am in the 6 figures in here chicago, they really arent considering the 39% increase in cost of living, is that typical? I wouldnt think so I would imagine that if your recruit outside your state the cost of living would be given some thought prior to outsourcing....we are looking for an overall better quality of life, the winters are just so long enjoying the outside is very limited unless you totally enjoy being in the very cold, wet climate the midwest offers.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM

3,778 posts, read 1,917,011 times
Quote:
You have made some great statements and they are much appreciated. I found a rental property in Concord, that really meets all the requirements and then some. I understand the cost of living especially housing seems that everything is above the 850,000 range and for rentals seems that anything decent is over the $4000 range. Which isnt unreachable, but the problem is that the California employer is having a hard time meeting an even realistic salary given the fact that I am in the 6 figures in here chicago, they really arent considering the 39% increase in cost of living, is that typical? I wouldnt think so I would imagine that if your recruit outside your state the cost of living would be given some thought prior to outsourcing....we are looking for an overall better quality of life, the winters are just so long enjoying the outside is very limited unless you totally enjoy being in the very cold, wet climate the midwest offers.
Well, all I can tell you is that what you are proposing would not be an overall improvement in life quality as far as I'm concerned.

The commute from Concord to Silicon Valley would be horrendous. Now, I'm not saying there aren't a lot of people who do it, but I have never understood their mindset and it is not a choice I would make. And there are far more desirable areas than Concord. If it were me, I would opt for less home in a nicer and closer area.

And, for what it's worth, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I miss the snow and the real winter - and I have missed it since the second winter I was here.

Only you can decide what's best for you. But I can tell you that if I had a six figure offer to move to suburban Chicago, I would be packing as we speak. Best of luck.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM

801 posts, read 1,266,031 times
Quote:
My employer has a pay differential for the Bay Area but it's probably closer to 15% as compared to other parts of the country. I would be really surprised if your employer would give you a 40% pay bump to live here. Note that while housing is a lot more expensive, other things are less so. Cars are comparable (maybe just a bit higher for CA emissions) as are many other consumer goods. As far as food goes, some things are more expensive like meat and cereal, but fruits and produce tend to be quite a bit cheaper.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The commute from Concord to Silicon Valley would be horrendous. Now, I'm not saying there aren't a lot of people who do it, but I have never understood their mindset and it is not a choice I would make. And there are far more desirable areas than Concord. If it were me, I would opt for less home in a nicer and closer area.

And, for what it's worth, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I miss the snow and the real winter - and I have missed it since the second winter I was here.
I totally agree. When I lived in Santa Clara, I needed to drive to Oakland during the evening commute a few times. That drive was already horrendous and Oakland only gets you halfway to Concord.

While I do like the weather out here, I also would a bit more variety. I miss the changing seasons (especially fall) and not mind relocating at some point to a place where I can actually experience snow (though I suspect my wife might not be soon keen on this )

Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
VJD

6 posts, read 6,349 times
Default any one with positives

excuse me for jumping on here but I'm coming from midwest to. Minneapolis - I'm originally from Chicago and like it here a bit more but overall both are great.

Anyone from the midwest who wants to say how good it is there in comparison?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJD View Post
excuse me for jumping on here but I'm coming from midwest to. Minneapolis - I'm originally from Chicago and like it here a bit more but overall both are great.

Anyone from the midwest who wants to say how good it is there in comparison?
I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis and have to say that I really love both SF and the Twin Cities. They are, of course, quite different and each has their advantages and disadvantages. SF is much more crowded and a lot more expensive, but is considerably more diverse and has a lot more career opportunities than the Twin Cities (which is the reason why I came out to the Bay Area in the first place). While I like the temperate weather here, I also miss the changing seasons a lot. I do wish that I liked any of the professional sports teams out here. I've been quite fortunate that I've lived in three places that have been fabulous (the other city being Boulder, Colorado).

Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM

13,345 posts, read 10,624,366 times
Quote:
...but the problem is that the California employer is having a hard time meeting an even realistic salary given the fact that I am in the 6 figures in here chicago, they really arent considering the 39% increase in cost of living, is that typical?
Yes. Typically the somewhat higher salaries here do NOT make up for the much higher cost of living.

Quote:
I wouldnt think so I would imagine that if your recruit outside your state the cost of living would be given some thought prior to outsourcing...
This is more Midwestern thinking. That is just not the reality here.

Quote:
we are looking for an overall better quality of life, the winters are just so long enjoying the outside is very limited unless you totally enjoy being in the very cold, wet climate the midwest offers
You will be trading better weather for smaller living quarters. That is the reality of California.

P.S... I also agree...the commute from Concord would be insane.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM

19 posts, read 30,731 times
I really appreciate all the information, it is really helpful in my decision process. I want my girls to experience so much more than what vacations provide, the weather in the midwest is just plain depressing during the cold months, and they seem to be getting longer as our warm months seem to of course be getting shorter....
I am still negotaiting with the employer and they seem to have met the relocation package now I am hoping the get on the salary bandwagon.
Such a rough choice...I have found a 5 bedroom, 4 bths, 2 car garage, pool, spa on a very nice piece of property for rent. If I was to pay the 3500 a months rent including the increase cost of living any idea where I would need to be for financial comfort. I know this is a hard question, but there seems to be so many statements relaying hte fact that although housing is more other things are not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose