Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times

Advertisements

fortunate.
lovely.
say hi to neil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Sounds like a piece of cake, I live in Corralitos right now, and take summit dr. to get to school over the hill...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
It's certainly doable. You wouldn't be the first to make such a commute.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM

132 posts, read 627,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbeans View Post
i'm definitely an advocate for the "rent a house with friends" thing at least once b/c it's fun.

a few things to think about:
1. have you looked at houses to rent with your friends in a closer radius? it may turn out to be cheaper or along the lines of what you would be paying in the santa cruz house considering the money you'd save on gas. don't jump at the first opportunity!
2. do you really want to commute every day through all of that traffic just for a house with a yard? personally, i really hate traffic so it would be tough on me. it would wear thin really quick and i'd be cool with visiting the house at my leisure. however, there are a few people at my work that commute from 40 mins. to a buck thirty out so it can't be that bad.

side note - i'd want to live closer to santa clara u anyway b/c that's where the cutest girls are haheheahea... unless you're a girl that digs guys... then you can edit that last part out.
I don't want to offend anyone, but I really don't like the south bay. There is just too much cement, sprawl & smog for my tastes. I like things quieter and calmer.

I have lived in a house close to campus and while its great to be close...I just hate all the road noise and the small lots. Given the fact that I'm an anxious/somewhat ADD person as it is, I really don't need that kind of stimulation...calm & quiet is good.

ANYWAY, this sounds absurd given the fact that I'm from Southern California (specifically north San Diego), but northern SD is pretty quiet, calm and filled with outdoor activities...which I miss. I know Santa Clara is hardly urban, but to me it felt like living the middle of a city.

As for the commute, I agree that it's longer than 20 minutes. I would say that's pretty optimistic & I should note that I am going to be renting this house during the rainy season. But this is a plus because I'm a weather nut and I love the crazy storms you get in the mountains....and snow is pretty cool also!

I know that a lot of the girls live close to campus, but there actually would be some girls living with us. I've lived in an all guys house and a mixed sex house...and I prefer the latter. I prefer it because 1) I like girls 2) I find that the house is neater 3) Females have a calming influence on the house that would otherwise be filled with 19-20 year old males...which, trust me, can get pretty crazy and out of control.

Above all, the house is just unbelievable. The views are jaw dropping, the lot is stunning and the biggest plus is that I LOVE to run and there is no better place to run than the Santa Cruz Mountains!

I think the biggest obstacle is the safety of the commute, which I kinda brushed aside and my female friend, who doesn't go to SCU, agrees with you. She feels that the commute is too dangerous to do frequently, especially given the weather.

See what rational thoughts & opinions you get from females that this 19year old male ignored?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's certainly doable. You wouldn't be the first to make such a commute.
Now I have my biology professor trying to talk me out of it...because he commuted from the SC mountatins to Santa Clara U. He said the last straw for him was the Loma Prieta (sp?) earth quake that destroyed some of his neighbors' homes. He also warned me about the wildfires, floods and crazy weather you get....although I don't want to really admit it....this crazy weather & earthquakes kinda intrigues me!

There is nothing better than sitting next to a roaring fire while reading a book during a massive winter storm. What's even better is sometimes it'll snow.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
Now I have my biology professor trying to talk me out of it...because he commuted from the SC mountatins to Santa Clara U. He said the last straw for him was the Loma Prieta (sp?) earth quake that destroyed some of his neighbors' homes. He also warned me about the wildfires, floods and crazy weather you get....although I don't want to really admit it....this crazy weather & earthquakes kinda intrigues me!

There is nothing better than sitting next to a roaring fire while reading a book during a massive winter storm. What's even better is sometimes it'll snow.
I can still look out my window, at the mountains a half mile away, still burnt out... Great job with the controlled burn, buddy!

If you aren't driving during rush hour, it'll be a piece of cake; when I lived in Aptos, I could get to downtown San Jose in 40 minutes, since I didn't drive during rush hour.

Also, remote can be nice, but if you want to go party, dash off to pick up dinner, go to the store real quick... Well, it's not a 2 minute drive anymore.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Big wildfire again. So far 2,300 acres burned and 0% contained. Good luck with that.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM

We're moving in September 15th. I heard there is going to be a el nino....hopefully, we'lll have a wet fall and a good soaking during the winter months.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:31 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
We're moving in September 15th. I heard there is going to be a el nino....hopefully, we'lll have a wet fall and a good soaking during the winter months.
Cool stuff, sounds like fun. Send an update or two once you're in to tell us how it is going.

Derek

Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Having a place to escape to up in the hills is great, especially with property, views, fresh air, the works. Well worth it, at least for a good while. Just keep that place well-stocked with whatever you need, especially in the funk-weather months, as going to the store can be a bit of an adventure, if one happens to be open (I seem to remember occasions running out of wine or beer, and realizing just how remote that Hwy 17 mountain living can be).

Of course, the deer families in the yard always keep you company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose