Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dallas_dean View Post
54, single, professional ,uprooting, selling my beautiful home in Dallas and headed to San Jose within the next few months. I have buried myself in my computer looking for a tiny rey of sunshine among the pure gold it cost to live there. I have accepted that I will not be able to buy a home and am looking into lease options.That in and of itself with take major adjustment for me, I know. I will be working downtown and will be looking to lease as close as possible to my job.I don't do the commute thing very well. I know there are some lease proprieties in the downtown area. I do have some specific needs. I must have a garage and a single level floor plan. 2 bedrooms, 2 bath minimum. I will be bringing my elderly mother with me, so stairs or split levels are not an option. I wouldn't mind a High Rise and am aware I will be giving up much of the square footage I am accustomed to.
Not sure exactly where work will be (a letter of intent has been signed and will be one of two buildings fairly close together in downtown San Jose), I will be coming out once that has been determined. Any information you can give me about living in Downtown San Jose would be great.
I read that Santana Row has some leasing options. Not sure if that is downtown...where I will be...or how wide spread the area called downtown is.
I am hoping it is a safe downtown.
I never thought I would be considering this. I have been so spoiled in Dallas with our housing costs so reasonable.
Sorry for rattling. I am excited and fearful at the same time. I am prepared to pay whatever it cost to live downtown to keep me out of the car .
Any thoughts or guidance?
Downtown has some very nice, new condos and apartments. Downtown is full of beautiful old victorians. San Jose State University is there as is the MLK Library. Beautiful buildings and a huge church. You'll be safe. San Jose is one of the "safest big cities" in the nation. I think we rank 5th. It's really gonna cost you, though. Where is your building, downtown? What street? They really have lovely places to stay in the area. There is also lightrail and a bus system that will take you anywhere you want to go. People really do not need a car in SJ. If you don't mind waiting for a bus, you can get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 AM

23 posts, read 145,871 times
Some tools and sites you may wish to consider:

Google Earth (http://earth.google.com) - Same functionality of the Google Maps web site with the ability to overlay parks, schools, roads, restaurants, etc.

Valley Transit Authority (http://www.vta.org) - This is the South Bay's version of Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART). Bus service in the valley is good and there is a light rail as well.

San Jose State University Housing (http://housing.sjsu.edu) - As mentioned earlier, SJSU is located in the heart of downtown. While you won't qualify for student housing, they may have "off-campus" options to give you ideas.

Craigslist, South Bay edition (http://www.craigslist.org/sby/) - The /sby/ is specific to the South Bay area you are looking into.

Good luck with your move, and know that the San Jose International airport (SJC) is much closer in size to Love Field than the gigantic DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose