U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 PM

6,767 posts, read 16,457,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
I don't know why they drive so slow out here but anyone from Southern CA thinks the same thing traffic is really back a$$wards here. People are really slow, they don't use blinkers, the double merging is SCARY especially when people aren't looking out for you and think they have the right away. Usually in Socal people in the slow lane people look out for merging cars and slow down so they can get on, not speed up on purpose and nearly run you off because they donít want you to get one up on them and be 2 seconds ahead of them like here. And people change lanes and donít even bother looking before they do it. At least they go really slow when they do it so you can see the almost accident early enough to avoid it. I hate driving on the freeways here I am a nervous wreck having to be on the offense at all times. My only explanation is that that there are a TON of foreigners here who didnít grow up in the USA and then the other generations learned to drive here and think itís the norm and perfectly ok not to use a blinker or look over when changing lanes. I also go crazy with the MILLIONS of stop lights, it takes 20 minutes to get to my work which is 4 miles away. I just have to go on auto pilot and zone out so I donít go insane waiting and waiting. Also whatíd the deal with the inefficient weird carpool lanes that are on the right side of the road where people are trying to get off. I donít think I will ever be able to except the indecencies and be comfortable with traffic in the bay area.
I agree completely. The carpool lanes are completely stupid. On eastbound Capitol before Aborn, you get the carpool lane, and only the carpool lane, backed up all the way to Silver Creek trying to make that right turn. Then after that it's completely empty until you get past Tully.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,090 times
wierd experience i'd say. I live in Sacramento, and experience what you say you do in San Jose. I set my cruise control to 65mph and find myself having to pass people using the RIGHT lane, because people in Sacramento drive so slow, even in the left lane. HWY 50 is the slowest. What San Jose are you talking about?!? Every time I go to ethier the Bay Area or LA, if I do not do at least 80MPH in the fast lane, I am being tailgated like no other....

Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM

94 posts, read 135,406 times
I can't figure it out either. I noticed the ENTIRE BAY AREA drives so freaking slow. I'm really really used to LA (grew up there) where everyone goes like 70 if it's not bumper-to-bumper traffic so it's frustrating as hell to drive up here (I actually live in the north bay now).

The funny thing is that this area tends to be more liberal, and liberals act like they don't follow the law for the sake of following the law... yet when you ask them why they go under the speed limit, they go BECAUSE IT'S NOT AGAINST THE LAW.

*smack*

Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM

94 posts, read 135,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
I don't know why they drive so slow out here but anyone from Southern CA thinks the same thing traffic is really back a$$wards here. People are really slow, they don't use blinkers, the double merging is SCARY especially when people aren't looking out for you and think they have the right away. Usually in Socal people in the slow lane people look out for merging cars and slow down so they can get on, not speed up on purpose and nearly run you off because they donít want you to get one up on them and be 2 seconds ahead of them like here. And people change lanes and donít even bother looking before they do it. At least they go really slow when they do it so you can see the almost accident early enough to avoid it. I hate driving on the freeways here I am a nervous wreck having to be on the offense at all times. My only explanation is that that there are a TON of foreigners here who didnít grow up in the USA and then the other generations learned to drive here and think itís the norm and perfectly ok not to use a blinker or look over when changing lanes. I also go crazy with the MILLIONS of stop lights, it takes 20 minutes to get to my work which is 4 miles away. I just have to go on auto pilot and zone out so I donít go insane waiting and waiting. Also whatíd the deal with the inefficient weird carpool lanes that are on the right side of the road where people are trying to get off. I donít think I will ever be able to except the indecencies and be comfortable with traffic in the bay area.
Omfg, what part of so cal are you from?

Ugh, it's so annoying to drive up here in the bay area!

And WHAT THE **** is with people merging on the freeway here at ****ing 30 mph? PEOPLE, THAT IS NOT SAFE!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 443,368 times
Hi Spiderwebs95 I'm from the Inland Empire (Murrieta). What part of LA did you live in? My husband is from Van Nuys and he goes nuts having to deal with the SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW traffic out here. I don't think you'll every get used to it either we have been 3 years and still go crazy about the ridiculousness...

Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,723,267 times
I think each particular freeway is different. I've heard people from LA complain about the Bay Area being slow, but I find it varies by which freeway you're on. I've never seen people speed in LA, because I've never seen the freeway have light enough traffic ever, and I've probably driven there 50 times. SF is the same way -- narrow freeways in old urban areas. But I find 280 on the peninsula goes fast, as do Hwy 24 and 580 in the East Bay.

I think the worst freeway drivers are in OC, because they go slow in every lane including the carpool lane!! Using the carpool lane in South OC is worse than regular lanes.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I think each particular freeway is different. I've heard people from LA complain about the Bay Area being slow, but I find it varies by which freeway you're on. I've never seen people speed in LA, because I've never seen the freeway have light enough traffic ever, and I've probably driven there 50 times. SF is the same way -- narrow freeways in old urban areas. But I find 280 on the peninsula goes fast, as do Hwy 24 and 580 in the East Bay.

I think the worst freeway drivers are in OC, because they go slow in every lane including the carpool lane!! Using the carpool lane in South OC is worse than regular lanes.
I agree it does vary what freeway you are on somewhat. In metro LA traffic is usually too heavy to be going that fast. Farther out you get, say the IE, then it tends to move faster imo b/c there tends to be less congestion than LA County. I think San Diego drivers drive faster than all of them and I feel it's b/c the freeways tend to be newer, straighter, and better designed and built here. Most are made of concrete instead of crappy asphalt too. Hwy 101 through Marin County drives me nuts will all the slow drivers but it tends to be older with more curves so there is a reason for that.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 PM

144 posts, read 416,355 times
I haven't been a prolific user of the freeway to comment on speed per se, but looking at the recent traffic records of people I've been talking to, cops are cracking the whip on traffic offences and collections are heading north.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Another thing that really freaks me out and makes me ride them brakes ... the sun. You see, I wear Coke bottle nerd glasses, but yet, I'm not nerdy enough to have one of those hinged clip on sunglass thingeys. And, since I selected the cheapest vision plan (one you never heard of, VSP, fuggedaboudit!) I would have to pay for prescription sunglasses out of my slum lord investment funds ... therefore ...

Yes, that's me, the guy you see, driving into the sun every morning, squinting, with my sunshade down, my hand up in front of my face and the other on the wheel ... tap, tap, tap, tap, tappppppppping them brakes. /sarc

Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 443,368 times
Ha ha yeah I have VSP and just spent $350 to have my lenses changed in two pairs of old glasses the plan totally sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose