U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Duarte, CA
5,102 posts, read 5,227,665 times
Reputation: 3289

Advertisements

I regularly do the speed limit on the freeways (65) and set it on cruse control and find it difficult to maintain this speed even in the fast lane with no traffic. Even in non rush hour traffic I'd be weaving around everyone like a madman at this speed and regularly find people going 5 or 10 below in the leftmost lane.

In LA, you'd be tailgated like crazy if you did the speed limit on the freeways, except maybe in the rightmost lane. Are the cops here THAT strict? I've passed by a several of them on the sidelines going 5 over with no incident (so far.) In every other metro area I've lived in, people regularly go 5+ over the speed limit (LA, Sacramento, Detroit).. what's up with slow drivers in San Jose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,331 posts, read 13,718,024 times
Reputation: 5479
haha, that is one thing I cannot stand every time I am back home up there driving around. There is no such thing as a "fast lane" in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Newark, Ca
1,378 posts, read 2,091,206 times
Reputation: 1860
That's strange. I've never noticed people driving slowly in San Jose. I usually stay under 70mph and get passed by everybody. I stay over in the two right lanes to keep from getting run off the road. It definitely is more chaotic in L.A. for sure though! Different parts of the Bay Area do tend to have different driving characteristics. 880 and 680 through the East Bay and 280 up the peninsula are like the autobahn during non-commute times and the drivers there are very aggressive. My biggest pet peeve with Bay Area drivers in general is that almost nobody uses blinkers. Imagine how much more smoothly and efficiently traffic could flow if people signaled which way they were going! I'm always amazed at how most people actually use them in SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
 
250 posts, read 45,196 times
Reputation: 54
how do you not notice these little asian teenaged pricks in their little hondas going like 100 mph zipping in and out of lanes... thats what pisses me off more than anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
 
2,438 posts, read 5,048,212 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I regularly do the speed limit on the freeways (65) and set it on cruse control and find it difficult to maintain this speed even in the fast lane with no traffic. Even in non rush hour traffic I'd be weaving around everyone like a madman at this speed and regularly find people going 5 or 10 below in the leftmost lane.

In LA, you'd be tailgated like crazy if you did the speed limit on the freeways, except maybe in the rightmost lane. Are the cops here THAT strict? I've passed by a several of them on the sidelines going 5 over with no incident (so far.) In every other metro area I've lived in, people regularly go 5+ over the speed limit (LA, Sacramento, Detroit).. what's up with slow drivers in San Jose?
Is this the SF Bay Area, in CA, on EARTH you're talking about? Or some parallel bizarro world where everything is backwards? Or perhaps you're talking about cruising at 65 in residential neighborhoods and wondering why everyone else is slowing you down?

I regularly drove the speed limit (in the right or 3rd lane) for the many years I lived there, and most other drivers passed me like I was a pole in the rode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Duarte, CA
5,102 posts, read 5,227,665 times
Reputation: 3289
Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, San Jose (downtown), Milpitas, etc.. usually Highway 101, 85, or 87.

I've been here for about a week and stick out like a sore thumb weaving around everyone at 65 in non commute traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
 
2,438 posts, read 5,048,212 times
Reputation: 1376
BTW: The speed limit on Hwy 87 (Guadalupe Fwy) is 55, not 65, so if you're complaining about having to go 65 on that one, you just need to slow it way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 AM
 
14,348 posts, read 12,165,856 times
Reputation: 10237
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Is this the SF Bay Area, in CA, on EARTH you're talking about? Or some parallel bizarro world where everything is backwards? Or perhaps you're talking about cruising at 65 in residential neighborhoods and wondering why everyone else is slowing you down?

I regularly drove the speed limit (in the right or 3rd lane) for the many years I lived there, and most other drivers passed me like I was a pole in the rode.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's impossible to do the speed limit on the freeway here without making someone mad or having them pass you as if you were standing still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Newark, Ca
1,378 posts, read 2,091,206 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
BTW: The speed limit on Hwy 87 (Guadalupe Fwy) is 55, not 65, so if you're complaining about having to go 65 on that one, you just need to slow it way down.

Actually, the speed limit on 87 has been 65mph for awhile now, since all the recent construction finished up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
801 posts, read 1,365,001 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Is this the SF Bay Area, in CA, on EARTH you're talking about? Or some parallel bizarro world where everything is backwards? Or perhaps you're talking about cruising at 65 in residential neighborhoods and wondering why everyone else is slowing you down?

I regularly drove the speed limit (in the right or 3rd lane) for the many years I lived there, and most other drivers passed me like I was a pole in the rode.
Yeah, the flow of traffic on my commute between I-380 and Page Mill Road in Palo Alto usually goes around 80mph. I've been driving at 85mph and had CHP fly right by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top