Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM

44 posts, read 181,814 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest wonderful places in central/northern California to see fall foliage? I like taking nature photos and capturing some of nature's fall scenery would be nice! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Look for June lake in the sierras. I'm going there next week

Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
The Auburn area is really beautiful this time of year.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The Santa Cruz Mountains, now. A couple more weeks it will be over.

However, in the flat lands, I'd say peak color will be over the next couple of weeks.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
If you take nature photos then its hard to beat the High Sierras, especially the Eastern Sierras from Lee Vining to Bishop. I was just there last weekend. If you haven't visited the eastern side yet it is a real photographer's treat. And not just for Fall Colors. You also have Mt. Whitney -the highest mtn. in the lower 48. Plus beautiful peaks and lakes all throughout. Then there is Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills, the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mtns.

By next week it may be a bit late for the Aspens over there. Although in some areas the trees were still really green so who knows. Another good option I recommend taking a drive to Yosemite which really isn't that far away. Yosemite Valley normally peaks the end of Oct - beginning of Nov. Take a look here Yosemite Fall Colors (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=yosemite%20fall%20colors&w=all#page=0 - broken link).

Plumas County is also noted to have good Fall Color. See Fall Foliage, Plumas County Northern California

Then there is the local stuff. The Santa Cruz Mtns. has Big Leaf Maples. Although I haven't seen them yet this year.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-12-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If you take nature photos then its hard to beat the High Sierras, especially the Eastern Sierras from Lee Vining to Bishop. I was just there last weekend. If you haven't visited the eastern side yet it is a real photographer's treat. And not just for Fall Colors. You also have Mt. Whitney -the highest mtn. in the lower 48. Plus beautiful peaks and lakes all throughout. Then there is Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills, the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mtns.

By next week it may be a bit late for the Aspens over there. Although in some areas the trees were still really green so who knows. Another good option I recommend taking a drive to Yosemite which really isn't that far away. Yosemite Valley normally peaks the end of Oct - beginning of Nov. Take a look here Yosemite Fall Colors (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=yosemite%20fall%20colors&w=all#page=0 - broken link).

Plumas County is also noted to have good Fall Color. See Fall Foliage, Plumas County Northern California

Then there is the local stuff. The Santa Cruz Mtns. has Big Leaf Maples. Although I haven't seen them yet this year.

Derek
Almost too late now for Big Leaf Maples, those go early. This year they were already turning in August.

Now it's on to Sycamores, Alders, Calif Walnuts, Black Oaks, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Almost too late now for Big Leaf Maples, those go early. This year they were already turning in August.

Now it's on to Sycamores, Alders, Calif Walnuts, Black Oaks, etc.
Interesting... last year on this day I hiked the Fall Creek Trail in the Santa Cruz Mtns. and the leaves were still mostly green with only some which had turned color. So I would be surprised if it is already past prime now. But of course every year is a bit different. It may vary also by certain sections of the mtns. I know in the Eastern Sierras it was a very unusual year this year. Some parts which have normally turned were still still completely green like the June Lake area when I was there a week ago. But Bishop Canyon had peaked and was going past prime.

Santa Cruz Fall Creek Trail 10.13.2008:

*** Update: I just spoke with the ranger from Henry Coe SP in Morgan Hill and he said the colors are starting to turn. But he expects it to be peak in about 1-2 weeks there.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-13-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Interesting... last year on this day I hiked the Fall Creek Trail in the Santa Cruz Mtns. and the leaves were still mostly green with only some which had turned color. So I would be surprised if it is already past prime now. But of course every year is a bit different. It may vary also by certain sections of the mtns. I know in the Eastern Sierras it was a very unusual year this year. Some parts which have normally turned were still still completely green like the June Lake area when I was there a week ago. But Bishop Canyon had peaked and was going past prime.

Santa Cruz Fall Creek Trail 10.13.2008:

*** Update: I just spoke with the ranger from Henry Coe SP in Morgan Hill and he said the colors are starting to turn. But he expects it to be peak in about 1-2 weeks there.

Derek
1 - 2 weeks from now would be good at Coe. Oaks will be deep red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose