Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,156 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be attending school in Hayward starting this summer, and a good friend of mine will be attending another school in san jose. we would like to be roommates, but need to find an area between the 2 colleges to live in that would make sense for both of us. I don't mind a commute of 30 minutes or less (to hayward), but am unfamiliar with the south/east bay.
We are both in our mid-20s, going to grad school and living on student loans. would prefer an area that is somewhat safe and quiet, yet not too far from some kind of social scene (bars/restaurants/music venues, etc), dont mind how old the apartment would be, more concerned with price. for those of you familiar with san diego or LA, we would be looking for neighborhoods similar to North Park or Normal Heights in San Diego, or Silverlake in LA. any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 03:06 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
I don't know San Diego, but I'm familiar with Silver Lake and as far as I know there's nothing remotely like that between Hayward and San Jose: it's mostly boring suburbia dotted with a few struggling mini-downtowns such as Fremont. If you want a neighborhood similar to Silver Lake in the Bay Area your choices are limited to parts of Oakland, Berkeley, or San Francisco; you're not going to find it in San Jose, either.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
That part of the East Bay is an industrial wasteland for the most part. Just live in San Jose. It's much more vibrant than anywhere else along 880 until you get to downtown Oakland, and it would be reverse commute direction to get to CSUEB.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,156 times
thats good to know. looks like i'll be looking for places throughout SJ, so thank you both for your help!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
That part of the East Bay is an industrial wasteland for the most part. Just live in San Jose.
Totally untrue, sounds like this person is either a South Bay or Peninsula snob.

You want to split the difference between Hayward and San Jose and price is most important?

I'd recommend Union City or Newark (Fremont might have some affordable places, but I think the other two will have more of the price range you are looking for). Anywhere in between Hayward and SJ, you won't get those kinds of neighborhoods you want. But you are a mere 20 miles (or less) from vibrant social scenes.

For example, if you live in Newark and want a nice social scene you simply hit up the Dumbarton Bridge and head on into Palo Alto. University Ave near Stanford will fit what you are looking for, and it's not even 15 miles away from Newark. Alot of people, especially those East Bay Haters, forget how close Newark is to Palo Alto.

And Palo Alto social scene >>>>> San Jose social scene, and this comes from someone with no bias either way.

Seriously you should look in Union City and Newark (And if nothing there, Fremont). You'll find agreeable prices, plenty of safe and quiet neighborhoods (Especially Newark/Fremont), and close to a real social scene.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Totally untrue, sounds like this person is either a South Bay or Peninsula snob.

You want to split the difference between Hayward and San Jose and price is most important?

I'd recommend Union City or Newark (Fremont might have some affordable places, but I think the other two will have more of the price range you are looking for). Anywhere in between Hayward and SJ, you won't get those kinds of neighborhoods you want. But you are a mere 20 miles (or less) from vibrant social scenes.

For example, if you live in Newark and want a nice social scene you simply hit up the Dumbarton Bridge and head on into Palo Alto. University Ave near Stanford will fit what you are looking for, and it's not even 15 miles away from Newark. Alot of people, especially those East Bay Haters, forget how close Newark is to Palo Alto.

And Palo Alto social scene >>>>> San Jose social scene, and this comes from someone with no bias either way.

Seriously you should look in Union City and Newark (And if nothing there, Fremont). You'll find agreeable prices, plenty of safe and quiet neighborhoods (Especially Newark/Fremont), and close to a real social scene.
Funny that you should call me a peninsula snob and then act like precisely that. Anyway, if the OP wanted to go to Mountain View or Palo Alto, it's easier to get there from San Jose as there are better public transit options and no bridge traffic/toll to deal with.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Funny that you should call me a peninsula snob and then act like precisely that. Anyway, if the OP wanted to go to Mountain View or Palo Alto, it's easier to get there from San Jose as there are better public transit options and no bridge traffic/toll to deal with.
I like San Jose, but for what this guy is looking for in terms of social scene, Palo Alto > San Jose.

And for going out on weeknights, Newark to Palo Alto via Dumbarton is reverse commute so no traffic, and it's totally clear on weekends. OP said nothing about being dependent on public transportation.

Maybe I should not have said South Bay/Peninsula snob. Maybe "unreasonable irrational Fremont/Newark/Union City hater" might have been more appropriate. I mean, after all, the guy says he wants to live somewhere in between Hayward and SJ and doesn't know the South/East Bay at all and nobody gives the tri-city area a fair shake (like your comment about "industrial wasteland"). Come on now. He said price is important. Think about it. And you know full well the tri-city area is not an industrial wasteland, or maybe you don't if you refuse to acknowledge its existence, let alone give it any credit.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I like San Jose, but for what this guy is looking for in terms of social scene, Palo Alto > San Jose.

And for going out on weeknights, Newark to Palo Alto via Dumbarton is reverse commute so no traffic, and it's totally clear on weekends. OP said nothing about being dependent on public transportation.

Maybe I should not have said South Bay/Peninsula snob. Maybe "unreasonable irrational Fremont/Newark/Union City hater" might have been more appropriate. I mean, after all, the guy says he wants to live somewhere in between Hayward and SJ and doesn't know the South/East Bay at all and nobody gives the tri-city area a fair shake (like your comment about "industrial wasteland"). Come on now. He said price is important. Think about it. And you know full well the tri-city area is not an industrial wasteland, or maybe you don't if you refuse to acknowledge its existence, let alone give it any credit.
There are some lovely parts of southern Alameda County, and it's a safe place to live. Were I in the market for a home right this moment, the only thing that would keep me out of Fremont is the fact that it's just as expensive as anywhere in San Jose. The Hayward Hills close to CSUEB campus have some real natural beauty as well. But I think there's a lot to be said for not having to cross a bridge to get to where the human life is.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
Fremont may be a city to consider.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Ahhh, if one's going to school in Hayward and the other in San Jose, why would they want to hang around a gaggle of Stanford kids? Or more likely, the other way around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose