U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,100 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the south bay area at the end of the month to work at Apple in Cupertino, but I hear there's not a lot to do in the area. A friend suggested the downtown San Jose area and I was wondering what its like there. Would it be a pain to get to Cupertino and back during rush hour, and would living there be a significantly better choice for nightlife? I'm trying to stay under 2500$/mo to rent a place with a bit of a yard for my dogs and some space to park a few cars. Are there good/bad areas of town or is it pretty homogeneous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 AM

26,083 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepmeepmeep View Post
I'll be moving to the south bay area at the end of the month to work at Apple in Cupertino, but I hear there's not a lot to do in the area. A friend suggested the downtown San Jose area and I was wondering what its like there. Would it be a pain to get to Cupertino and back during rush hour, and would living there be a significantly better choice for nightlife? I'm trying to stay under 2500$/mo to rent a place with a bit of a yard for my dogs and some space to park a few cars. Are there good/bad areas of town or is it pretty homogeneous?
Downtown SJ is not a good place if you want a house with a yard. The adjacent neigbhorhoods of Rosegarden and Willow Glen are close to downtown and you could probably get a small house for $2500 or less, but I'm not absolutely sure of that since both neigbhorhoods are pricey.

Another option might be the neigborhoods just north and east of downtown (think north 11th to north 20th streets north of Julian street). Close to downtown, but have houses with yards. Decent neighborhood but not as trendy/expensive as Willow Glen or Rosegarden.

If your workplace is close to 280, Cupertino would not be too bad of a commute. Personally, I hate commuting and try to minimize it at all costs, but by most peoples' stanards, it would be a tolerable commute. If you have to take highway 85, though, that freeway tends to be slower.

You might also want to look into a place like Campbell. There is a mini-nightlife scene at the Pruneyard Shopping Center. And it would still put you reasonably close to downtown SJ while at the same time making your commute easier. Rents in Campbell would be a bit cheaper than Cupertino, I think.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,891 times
You can live anywhere starting from Downtown SJ going west to cupertino. Commute from Downtown SJ to Apple Campus in Cupertino is fairly short (10mi or so?). Downtown, like the previous poster said is full of condos, lofts, and apartments... You will not find a yard. Campbell seems like a good suggestion, or west side SJ. Cupertino itself is very very expensive rents due to schools. I don't think any of these locations are too far from the SJ nightlife in Downtown SJ, Pruneyard in Campbell, and Santana Row in the West side.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
Campbell seems like a good choice Welcome to Downtown Campbell (http://www.downtowncampbell.com/about.php - broken link).
There is a light rail line between Campbell and downtown SJ. Cupertino is not too far away.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,670,951 times
There are houses all over the downtown area, but they tend to be old and falling apart. Developers have gradually been buying them as they become unusable and building new properties, especially in the area around the Caltrain station..

Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM

83 posts, read 202,742 times
Stay in Cupertino...
SJ isn't even that far if you wanna hang out...
I would live closer to penninsula and hang out in the city if I were you...

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

13 posts, read 27,232 times
Well, Cupertino will be pure suburb.
Downtown SJ is ok; the complaints usually compare it to top 5 metros, which it of course can't keep pace.

It is unfortunately quite fragmented; traditional "downtown" is a highway drive away from Santana Row.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 PM

11 posts, read 23,551 times
If you want to be close to activity, there are some fun areas that you could try to get close to:
1) Lincoln Ave (xStreet Willow or Minnesota) in the neighborhood of Willow Glen (city: San Jose)
2) Campbell Ave (xStreet Winchester) would put you close to old town Campbell (city: Campbell)
3) Winchester Ave at Stevens Creek would put you close to Santana Row which is a "see and be seen" type night life with restaurants bars and shopping, much more popular than actual down town San Jose, which sort of closes down at night. (city: San Jose)
4) Santa Cruz Avenue in Los Gatos is totally fun, but the rents in LG tend to be pricier... you'll have to check it out though. Living in Campbell or West San Jose would put you close to this and you could drive over for dinners, etc without hitting the freeways.

Hope that helps!
Kirsten Reilly

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

47 posts, read 114,784 times
Another area to consider is Cambrian....there are some really nice areas that border Campbell or Willow Glen, and prices will be cheaper.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 3,170,029 times
What kind of 'nightlife' are you looking for? The South Bay isn't well known for it's late-night scene, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose