Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

I'm 15 and did something really stupid. I took and item about $9 from wal-mart. Now I don't know what will happen to me. This racist and mean lady took me to her office and asked for my information and would not let me use my cell phone to call my sister or mom. I understand that she was probably angry, so therefore, mean. My mom came, signed a paper, no cops were called, and was informed I am not allowed to return there. I live in California, so I am wondering what my consequences are. Will I go to court or pay a fine? I am willing to serve my punishment and I know what I did was very wrong. I've been scared to death for the past couple of days, and I know I deserve it. I have never broken any laws and am a good student at school. How much should I prepare myself to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 AM

18 posts, read 42,603 times
She didn't call the cops so I think you'll be fine. Just don't do it again.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,691,577 times
Below is a link to a thread that will be helpful to you.
The original poster got caught stealing from Marshalls and like you, the police were not called but she was freaked out 'cause she didn't know what was going to happen to her.
Some of the replies are just about judgment and condemnation but there are some replies that are, it seems, legally accurate and simply informative.
FRSNO1 (at the bottom of the page that i provided a link to) is a cop from Fresno and his reply is most informative.
I'd refrain from stealing anymore and break the habit now when you're still young.
Getting stuff for nothing can be a thrill but in the long run, you will suffer for it ... both in your outer life and inner life.
But don't beat yourself up for doing what you've done.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...-happen-2.html

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-12-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,683,383 times
Throwing the term 'racist' around casually is at least as detrimental to your race as actual racism is, btw.
And she wasn't mean because she was angry, she was mean because it's her job to scare you

Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
The original poster got caught stealing from Marshalls and like you, the police were not called but she was freaked out 'cause she didn't know what was going to happen to her.
Thought this sounded familiar. Strange thing, this internet. Steal stuff, get caught, and tell everyone about it! Amazing!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
you have broken a law, just did and its not the 1st time but is 1st time caught. i regret you are following the SJ pattern, its all about them, not you. you did not do something stupid-- you did something evil, you are stealing. until you have that clear it wont get better.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM

she's 15.
and it's not evil .... but it is harmful ... to herself and to others.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,152,582 times
I think by 'evil', huckleberry meant 'wicked'. There is a subtle difference, but it boils down to mean 'the opposite of righteous' OR you could call it 'harmful' in a moral sense. Of course, if you don't believe in God or perhaps even in a moral difference between right and wrong, that definition won't hold much water. Whether or not anyone chooses to view stealing as a moral offense (as opposed to just a civil one) is not my point because that is a matter of personal opinion.

My only point was to clarify is that 'wicked' does not really mean 'evil' or 'satanic' or something like that, since those terms both imply intent AND underlying personality traits. 'Wicked' just means that it's wrong on a moral level and therefore it should affect ones conscience in a serious way, if only to keep them from repeat offending. I'm saying this a a reformed shoplifter myself, so no judgment, just hopefully a lesson was learned regardless of what happens to the OP as far as punishment.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I think by 'evil', huckleberry meant 'wicked'. There is a subtle difference, but it boils down to mean 'the opposite of righteous' OR you could call it 'harmful' in a moral sense. Of course, if you don't believe in God or perhaps even in a moral difference between right and wrong, that definition won't hold much water. Whether or not anyone chooses to view stealing as a moral offense (as opposed to just a civil one) is not my point because that is a matter of personal opinion.

My only point was to clarify is that 'wicked' does not really mean 'evil' or 'satanic' or something like that, since those terms both imply intent AND underlying personality traits. 'Wicked' just means that it's wrong on a moral level and therefore it should affect ones conscience in a serious way, if only to keep them from repeat offending. I'm saying this a a reformed shoplifter myself, so no judgment, just hopefully a lesson was learned regardless of what happens to the OP as far as punishment.
I hear you.
But i don't see things in terms of "morality" ... but maybe it's just a case of semantics.
As i perceive, actions that cause harm to self and/or others are best avoided just 'cause and either one has that kind of ... well, some would call it a moral center i guess ... either one has that sense of "rightness" or "righteousness" (although that word, like "morality", implies the whole Christian damnation thing and i reject that) as an integral part of their being or they don't.
If a person doesn't have that inner sense of rightness, ... integrity ... he/she either follows the rules of society so as to avoid guilt and / or punishment for being "bad" or he/she could be labeled as a criminal.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,152,582 times
Quote:
I hear you.
But i don't see things in terms of "morality" ...
Which is why I said, "Whether or not anyone chooses to view stealing as a moral offense (as opposed to just a civil one) is not my point because that is a matter of personal opinion."

Quote:
that word, like "morality", implies the whole Christian damnation thing
No it doesn't. At least not by definition http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/morality. However, a lot of reasonable people do choose to define it your way, which is understandable due to the way many so-called 'christians' choose to spread their own ideas of morality.

I've re-read your last post several times now, and it just looks like you're trying to find a way to say that stealing is wrong (aka, bad, harmful...etc.) without conceding that it is immoral. I'll give you that, so you can use whatever terms you like. I was just trying to explain what I THOUGHT Huckleberry meant when he/she through out the eyebrow-raising term 'evil'.

Last edited by treedonkey; 01-14-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose