U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 10,003 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm going to have a summer job in Mountain View, and I'm hoping to avoid shipping my car across the country. Where should I be targeting? I'm looking primarily for safe, quiet, and walkable. It'd be nice if I could get either a newer or a remodeled place - I especially like high-rises (which seem scarce in MV), but nice townhomes etc will also do the trick. For money, I don't want to spend over 1500 a month for myself, but I'm hoping to reduce costs by sharing.
My job is on Castro Street. I'd be happy to live in Palo Alto, Los Altos, or Sunnyvale as long as I'm by public transportation that will get me to Castro. There seems to be a shopping complex south of El Camino near Castro (Grant Road) and one north of the MV Caltrain. Any thoughts on those locations?

I can tell I'm jumping the gun a bit, since all the Craigslist ads suggest that people put ads for rent up a few weeks before they want to rent, but I like to plan ahead and figure out which areas I should be watching.
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by shadowfish; 02-16-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

5,705 posts, read 7,142,789 times
Coming to a town near you! Give it time. It's got a little arthritis.

You have apartments right downtown Mountain View. Some seem quite tall. No idea what they charge for rent, but they look well-kept. I imagine they're a bit pricey.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,521,085 times
Those shopping areas you mentioned are on the bus line (22) but not convenient for the train. I'm not sure if $1500 would get you something in the downtown Mountain View area. Your best bet is to look at craigslist. You might want to consider Sunnyvale. That will be the cheapest option.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,048,212 times
You might look into the Sahara Mobile Village on El Camino x Hwy. 85.
Sahara Mobile Village - Google Maps

I lived there for a couple of months in the summer of 08 while I was preparing to move out of state.
Pros:
Public transit right in front (bus) and light rail/ cal train about a mile away, accessible by a very nice bike path and some bike lanes.
Castro street a half mile away, accessible by bike path/bike lane or (walking) by sidewalk.
Right next to a grocery store and other basic shopping.
You can rent your own 1-2 bedroom place for around $1200/month for an older place - and YES you can rent them month-to-month (no lease required)
Immediate freeway access.
Park has a nice little swimming pool for you to use.
Detached living (you may even get you own little 'yard' and patio space)
If you like cycling or jogging he same trail i metioned before will take you all the way up to shoreline and a ways south without evrer having to get on a street.

Cons
Not sexy at all
Mainly older places unless you want to spend closer to 2k/month
Mainly a lower-middle-class family area, so if you're looking for a hip singles scene right out front this would not be it.
Expensive for what you get (but then that would be true of any place at regular market value)

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,594,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
You might look into the Sahara Mobile Village on El Camino x Hwy. 85.
... if you're looking for a hip singles scene right out front this would not be it.
But you may get your '15 minutes' on "Cops" at your front door if you behave the part appropriately. Happy Trailering!

(Actually, this is in fact a fairly good housing option - no shared walls)

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM

6,835 posts, read 16,763,003 times
The bus that runs down San Antonio Road (where the apartments are in Los Altos) doesn't run to Castro Street, and the one that runs on Castro Street runs through a sleepy part of Los Altos where there aren't many apartments. And the bus stops running pretty early, so I'd scratch LA from the equation unless you're really close to El Camino Real.

Sunnyvale has a lot of newer apartments close to the light-rail, around Tasman & Fair Oaks.

You're not going to find high-rises unless you go to either downtown San Jose or San Francisco, and you'll pay an arm and a leg. $1500 to split a 2-bedroom might not even be enough in SF.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 10,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The bus that runs down San Antonio Road (where the apartments are in Los Altos) doesn't run to Castro Street, and the one that runs on Castro Street runs through a sleepy part of Los Altos where there aren't many apartments. And the bus stops running pretty early, so I'd scratch LA from the equation unless you're really close to El Camino Real.

Sunnyvale has a lot of newer apartments close to the light-rail, around Tasman & Fair Oaks.

You're not going to find high-rises unless you go to either downtown San Jose or San Francisco, and you'll pay an arm and a leg. $1500 to split a 2-bedroom might not even be enough in SF.
Thanks, good to know about LA, and thanks for the suggestions for where to check out in Sunnyvale. I saw a few high-rises advertised in Palo Alto, but they seemed overpriced. $1500 seems completely do-able - in fact, in browing craigslist, I'd say 80-90% of the ads for MV/Sunnyvale are within that range - so I don't think I'd want to go shell out extra to live further away.

Based on browing apartmentratings, it sounds like most of the apartments in MV are either old and junky or loud, so I do see the advantage of no shared walls :P. I'm thinking that I'll wait until closer to June to see if a shared house or townhome comes on the market in a good location - I figure the market will get better when the Stanford students start trying to sublet their places.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 16,763,003 times
Actually, now that I look, there's another bus to downtown Mountain View that comes in from Cupertino. I know there are some high-rises there close to De Anza College.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,269,825 times
Would you consider going to Craigslist to find a room to rent in Mountain View?

If you're only spending the summer, this might be a profitable option.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 PM

145 posts, read 424,823 times
I wouldnt be picky about skyrises unless I really wanted to stay most of the time indoors in summer

I had posted a bit on how I managed the commute in my 2 posts here:
Santa Clara Job/Will I need a car out there?

1 BR/BA going between 1050-1150 in the MV area now, close enough to caltrain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose