U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM

3,094 posts, read 2,621,418 times

Advertisements

You are asking about $70.5 per square foot for the house you are selling.

You won't find anything less than 3 times that (price per square foot) no matter where you look in Silicon Valley. (that is ignoring the yard)

Zillow is your friend. You can get an idea of price per square foot in various neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 54,758 times
IMHO: I would stay away from anything near the San Jose airport. I just never got a good "vibe" from that area even though some of those old homes were really nice. They reminded me of the old neighborhoods of Sacramento; large single family homes with big front yards and trees with a long drive way to the garage in the back. Sad to see those days are gone.

First and foremost be ready for that "sticker shock". Even with the current housing market crisis here in California, homes are still horrendously higher priced than their mid-western cousins.

Take the time, drive around and get a feel for the area.

In my biased opinion the area of Mountain View/Los Altos/Sunnyvale/Saratoga is one of the better areas of the South Bay if not the world, having lived in Europe, South America, Asia and several places in the US.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 PM

38 posts, read 68,477 times
Thanks...
Well Austin's sticker price is high as well... it's cheap in KCMO because no one wants to live here... that's what I was told by the locals... sheesh

I've been shopping on zipreality.com just to get some regular sticker-shock desensitization.

I'm hoping to get in a hood that doesn't have some nerdowell driving up and down the streets to make sure your yard is perfectly in order and handing out citations. ...shudder...

still researching,
Anna

Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 AM

38 posts, read 68,477 times
Default downtown

Well now we may be commuting to downtown SF, so I'm looking at other locations. Call me yoyo. I need a little bit of a yard. When we get a solid offer I'll know more of what we can afford. How do people afford 700k houses on 200k year salaries? I thought banks were really tough these days.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM

19 posts, read 54,758 times
San Francisco?

Ha ha... well again Mountain View is nice. However take a look further North if you would consider commuting and not living in the City.

Of the places near the commute train and within walking distance I do have to say that Mountain View, Menlo Park are rather respectable/affordable (in California terms).

In fact I drove by a development just south of downtown Mt. View where the planned neighborhood has only a few homes built. So there may be some incentive to buy in this market.

I believe the development is called Shea homes mondrian.

Should be a website. No, I am not connected to the company in any way nor do I get any compensation.
Just to confirm that I have no interest whatsoever to benefit in any sale!

I used to work near there so I would drive by and see the work being done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose