Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM

215 posts, read 976,691 times

Advertisements

I have a whole house fan as pictured on the SVP website "installing a whole house fan" and it is not quiet. But I still like it.
SVP: Residential Customers - What's New : Articles : Whole House Fans (http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/res/articles/?sub=wholehousefans - broken link)

The Quiet Cool fan appears to be more quiet due to the location of the fan in the attic:
Quiet Cool Whole House Fans - Installs in your attic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM

61 posts, read 244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguamarina4u View Post
I have a whole house fan as pictured on the SVP website "installing a whole house fan" and it is not quiet. But I still like it.
SVP: Residential Customers - What's New : Articles : Whole House Fans (http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/res/articles/?sub=wholehousefans - broken link)

The Quiet Cool fan appears to be more quiet due to the location of the fan in the attic:
Quiet Cool Whole House Fans - Installs in your attic
That is the fan we have, Quiet Cool. The website you gave is a distributor in L.A. county for the quiet cool. The actual manufacturer of the fan, who also installs them, is in Winchester, CA. They are who we purchased our fans from and installed them. Their webiste is, QuietCool - Whole House Fan System - Welcome! Quiet Cool has many distributors all over because of their popularity.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 AM

168 posts, read 637,290 times
After using several noisy "whole house" fans in other homes, we found that with an opening to the attic in a hallway ceiling or other reasonably central location, a quiet electric roof vent can vent the whole house better than a "whole house" fan in a ceiling.

With a fan in the ceiling, you're pulling air from the house into the hot attic. But you must also push air in the attic out. So it is less efficient than pulling the hottest air out of the attic, at the apex of the roof, with a roof or gable vent.

A handy person could install a door that is easy to open and close in the ceiling (where your attic opens), with a wand/handle, whenever the fan is running and during winter. Most likely, all you have there now is a piece of board.

Since roof vents can be purchased with a thermostat, they can be running all day to keep the attic cooler, which means your A/C is more efficient before sundown.

We installed the biggest (and quietest) roof vent we could find, and never hear it unless the attic door is open. Even then, it's a million times quieter than any "quietest" whole house fan we've installed, is barely audible, and works so well that it's off in 15 minutes or less when it's cool. And we have a very big house (4000' attic floor), with just one electric roof vent set at 80 or 90 degrees. The cost was about $200 + $50 for a roofer to install for us. Did our own electrical. The key is an opening to the attic for airflow.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Our whole house fan isn't really noisy with the motor, you just can hear the rushing of the air, which isn't really a big deal...

Turn it on in the AM to get the cold air in, shut up the house during the afternoon, maybe run the AC during the afternoon a little (we're in Sacramento, so even with the fan, you can't get around running the air for a little when it's 100 out), and then open back up once the delta breeze kicks in and run the fan till about midnight... works great.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 18,382 times
I've stumbled on this site that sells a who house fan, I want to give it a try but I don't know if it's good enough.

Online Hardware Store, One Stop place for Home Hardware,Plumbing, Electrical, Automotive, Garden, Tools, Paints and Construction supplies.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 PM

215 posts, read 976,691 times
Yes that is what I have in my hallway. We use it all the time on warm days. Cheaper than putting the AC on to cool the house down.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
Here is a company that has a lot of good information on these fans. [url]www.suburbanfan.com[/url] Suburban Fan

Last edited by midwest62; 09-04-2009 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: Looked funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose