U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 AM

2,408 posts, read 2,651,327 times
Default Looking for North Carolina or Southeast Transplants

I know that California is 'broke'. Jobs are hard to come; housing is by no means affordable compared to other areas of the US by and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from NC/Southeast....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time in California....Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM

1,926 posts, read 2,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I know that California is 'broke'. Jobs are hard to come; housing is by no means affordable compared to other areas of the US by and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from NC/Southeast....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time in California....Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...
Well, I just went the other way, and I'm sorry that I did. I grew up on the east coast, so it's kind of nice to be here. I've been exploring some of the small towns of North Carolina. Unfortunately the job market is just as bad here for me, maybe worse. My spouse has a job in the biotech sector. Job wise in California you'll find more sectors (telecom/networks-Cisco, internet companies-Facebook, database-Oracle, hardware-Apple...). In the Raleigh area, it's almost exclusively pharma/biotech.

What's nice about California is the low humidity, quick access to the beach if you live close to the coast (I did). From Raleigh, it takes me at least 2 1/2 hours to get to the ocean at Wilmington, and then traffic is terrible. In the San Francisco and LA areas you have lots of diverse, interesting people. The San Francisco area is what the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area might look like in 50 years. It's pretty dense, lots of traffic. Housing prices are definitely higher in SF area and most of California.

Your userid is westcoastbabe. Are you in California now, or are you on the east coast? What is your reason for considering a move to CA?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 AM

2,408 posts, read 2,651,327 times
Actually in NC.....the reason you ask....Im in my late 30's and have never lived anywhere but in NC..Time for a change...For some odd know reason..I always been a huge fan of the west coast. But nothing is holding me back except the economy, which is not the best right now.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM

1,926 posts, read 2,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Actually in NC.....the reason you ask....Im in my late 30's and have never lived anywhere but in NC..Time for a change...For some odd know reason..I always been a huge fan of the west coast. But nothing is holding me back except the economy, which is not the best right now.
I'd highly recommend trying it, but would suggest having a job lined up first. I really like the San Francisco area and Eugene/Portland, OR. I absolutely love Seattle but have never lived there. Of course, you could look at places in Idaho which is very nice.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM

148 posts, read 77,881 times
Thank God for this thread! Feel so relieved I'm not the only one And zitsky's comment about the Triangle looking like the Bay Area in 50 years is music to my ears! We love it here in Cary, NC (12 years and counting) and it would be a seismic shift for us (pun intended!) to move to the West Coast. But...I have what appears to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that's about as slam dunk as any potential opportunity could be and, for someone who actually dislikes the West Coast (LA, I'm looking at you), I'm hopping about in excitement and can't wait to go in for the interview :-D

Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 17,099 times
I moved to the west coast about 8 years ago, after living in Tennessee for 12 years, and before that I was born and raised around Atlanta, GA. At that time, I was absolutely ready to get out of the southeast. I was unhappy with my job and needed a major change. The south's weather was a big issue for me, and I just couldn't take the summers/humidity anymore. Some of the people/culture and pace of life in the southeast got on my nerves a little too...but overall I can't say anything really bad about the SE region at this point in my life.

I landed a job in San Diego for my first ~2 years out here and SD was really great. That town has nearly ruined me for any other place. Unfortunately I had to relocate to Silicon Valley for work about 5 years ago. While I am not 100% in love with Norcal, I am still happy to live in CA. Me and my SO hope to end up back in San Diego eventually. We just prefer that city and lifestyle.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM

753 posts, read 820,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
...opportunity that's about as slam dunk as any potential opportunity could be and, for someone who actually dislikes the West Coast (LA, I'm looking at you), I'm hopping about in excitement and can't wait to go in for the interview :-D
Have you ever lived in LA or do you just dislike your perception of it?

My neighbor is from a small town in NC and she likes it in San Jose. She often goes back to NC to see family and loves them but dislikes the narrow-minded religiosity of people of the area. It's not that SJ is where everyone loves and accepts each other but there is a high degree of tolerance here.

One of my coworkers was from small-town SC. She is proudly Southern and goes back to see family periodically but she's started a family here with a West Coast native and I think she's here to stay.

I've had coworkers and acquaintances from Atlanta and Dallas as well and they like it here. They haven't left and I doubt they will.

Last, I once sold something on CL to someone who, when we met to transact, said he was from either NC or SC. He said he liked the tolerant culture here.

This is all FWIW, coming from a CA native.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 AM

148 posts, read 77,881 times
OK, I meant that half in jest Apologies if it came across as a bit peevish!

I've never lived in LA, but both my brothers do, and I've visited 5 times in the past 14 years, including one road trip from LA to SFO back in 2003. I was there as recently as July of 2010 and saw nothing to change my perception of LA as one, immense urban sprawl. It was all the more stark when I drove from Colorado Springs to LA back in 2001 - leaving Utah and Nevada and crossing into the LA valley almost made me want to turn back.

Now, SFO, I definitely felt had a ton of character, but the drive from LA to SFO was very disappointing - bare hills, endless concrete highways, rude drivers (though probably more skilled than the ones we have in NC ) - LA just seemed to be one strip mall after another, really. I've sat in DC beltway traffic for 3 hours and it didn't feel nearly as futile as sitting in LA traffic!

I also vacationed in San Diego in 2010 and liked it a whole lot better than LA. So, it's not quite a CA or West Coast thing - obviously, I was exaggerating But given what I've seen up and down the East Coast from Poughkeepsie, NY to Miami, FL, it's hard to feel particularly impressed by the barrenness of the CA coast. The dense forests of NC, the rolling meadows of MD, the fall colors of PA (OMG, you have to see PA country in the fall - the trees look like cotton balls dipped in the wildest dyes!) - there's just so much character to the landscape on the East Coast! I vacation in the NC mountains once a year and come back a new man each time - I'm sure CA offers as much or more, but right now its a case of the comfort of the familiar vs. the promise of the unknown.

I completely understand the comment about the narrow-minded religiousity you refer to, except you rarely come across it in the major metropolitan areas like the RTP (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill), Charlotte, Wilminton/Outer Banks or even Winston-Salem/Greensboro. Though not many may be aware, Asheville is known as the gay capital of NC, while Carrboro (right outside Chapel Hill) is another particularly gay-friendly town. And, even when people stare at your brown skin and start speaking as if you can't understand English, they're unfailingly courteous (yeah, that's a good one - discriminating tactfully ;-) )

I'm also a bit of a Civil War buff and am very proud of NC's history when it comes to civil rights - there's even a recent article on Washington Post on how NC is quite different from the other Southern States (heck, I might be talking myself out of taking up a job with one of the hottest employers in the country at this point!). For instance, the mountain regions of NC were solidly Union during the Civil War - and there was a good reason why NC was the only state Gen. Sherman didn't raze on his way up North after the conquest of Atlanta Not least of all, as a transplant from half-way across the world, I would love for my daughters - both of whom were born in NC - to experience that bond to their birthplace that I had to give up myself...

There are bigots everywhere you go and as an immigrant I've felt more out of place in NYC, of all places, than anywhere in NC. As for perceptions, I've always imagined I'd feel perfectly at home in CA more than any place else. Unfortunately, my personal experiences have been less than comforting so far.

Yes, I realize no one's begging me to come to CA All the same, I wish I could be a little more enthusiastic about it. The diversity factor is significant, but having lived in Cary, NC for 12 years now, I can hardly claim that as a reason to leave this place. I mean, the city is mocked as the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"

As a Steinbeck fan, I'm not even particularly ignorant of CA's role in agriculture - but saw little evidence of it myself. I struggle to come up with one moment through all my trips where CA made me sigh - come to think of it, of all my CA trips, the standout memory is my visit to Alcatraz Island!

More likely than not, I'll end up there this summer. Much of my angst comes from the fear of letting go of what I know and love so much. Surely, the most populous state in the nation didn't come to be that way without having much to offer to people that moved there Nonetheless, if I decide to make it for the in-person interviews, I hope I'll have a better experience than I've had in the past decade and a half!

I truly appreciate your feedback. The more I see and hear of people moving from NC to CA, the easier it becomes to reconcile myself to the move. I would really, really hate to give up this opportunity I have, and it's been a massive pain to convince my wife to even let me interview I'm desperately keeping my fingers crossed and would love nothing more than hearing more from C-D posters about the virtues of CA Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Have you ever lived in LA or do you just dislike your perception of it?

My neighbor is from a small town in NC and she likes it in San Jose. She often goes back to NC to see family and loves them but dislikes the narrow-minded religiosity of people of the area. It's not that SJ is where everyone loves and accepts each other but there is a high degree of tolerance here.

One of my coworkers was from small-town SC. She is proudly Southern and goes back to see family periodically but she's started a family here with a West Coast native and I think she's here to stay.

I've had coworkers and acquaintances from Atlanta and Dallas as well and they like it here. They haven't left and I doubt they will.

Last, I once sold something on CL to someone who, when we met to transact, said he was from either NC or SC. He said he liked the tolerant culture here.

This is all FWIW, coming from a CA native.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 PM

483 posts, read 569,276 times
Next time take the 101 between SF and LA. It's beautiful. If you have even more time, take PCH. However the 101 doesn't add that much time to your drive and it's completely worth it. Unless we're going after dark, I don't take the 5. It's depressing and feels like it's never going to end.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,355,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Next time take the 101 between SF and LA. It's beautiful. If you have even more time, take PCH. However the 101 doesn't add that much time to your drive and it's completely worth it. Unless we're going after dark, I don't take the 5. It's depressing and feels like it's never going to end.
That's what I keep saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose