U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,350,392 times

Advertisements

I think it is very interesting to hear some comparisons of the downtowns of the individual cities in Silicon Valley. San Jose obviously has the largest downtown but I used google street view and saw that the mountain view downtown is really cool with restaurants densely lined up the Castro street and seems to be very walkable. Do any areas in San Jose resemble that? What are your favorite downtowns or urban centers in Silicon Valley and why?

Last edited by fashionguy; 05-04-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM

6,839 posts, read 16,772,330 times
Lincoln Ave in Willow Glen, San Jose
Santa Cruz Ave in Los Gatos
Campbell Ave in Campbell

I never have much reason to go to any of them though. OK, there's restaurants.. but they're overpriced because of their location. Little trinket shops which sell things that no one needs. Nail salons. What's the appeal?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,547,504 times
I second the Lincoln Ave in Willow Glen and downtown Los Gatos. Also, downtown Saratoga is pretty cool.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM

5,653 posts, read 10,149,494 times
Perhaps The Alameda and Japantown are too near DTSJ to be counted, but they're in a similar vein to those listed thus far. They are a bit smaller as a result, though. I guess Santana Row could be considered a bastard downtown of sorts, being that it fulfills in function but not really aesthetics.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM

153 posts, read 230,731 times
Title's a bit oxymoronic, isn't it? And I'm not bashing on SV, it's just "good downtowns" aren't really inherent to its obviously suburban/workplace nature.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,478,973 times
The only downtown I have visited in SV is Palo Alto. I was impressed and would really be impressed if another SV downtown topped it!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,335,584 times
Would argue all SV downtowns are dumpy Luddite gathering spots, like downtowns in any city/suburb in US...lots of smelly homeless, restaurants/shops of dubious quality, often annoying parking nazis, decent amt of street crime after dark

If anything, SV's own tech industry's innovations have made physical shopping/bookstores/movies/tourism much less relevant/efficient in era of Net, Amazon, online shopping, iPads, etc

And reality is 99+% of "mom and pop" or ethnic restaurants in any city/suburb are about as unhealthy and low quality as fast junk food from any corporate chain

Old 05-05-2010, 02:11 AM

5,653 posts, read 10,149,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Title's a bit oxymoronic, isn't it?
nope

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM

3,477 posts, read 9,057,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
If anything, SV's own tech industry's innovations have made physical shopping/bookstores/movies/tourism much less relevant/efficient in era of Net, Amazon, online shopping, iPads, etc
Sure, why bother going out to movies, browsing in bookstores, shopping or visiting different places when you can sit at home in your basement in your under wear and get it all off a cheap LCD screen made in China?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,523,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would argue all SV downtowns are dumpy Luddite gathering spots, like downtowns in any city/suburb in US...lots of smelly homeless, restaurants/shops of dubious quality, often annoying parking nazis, decent amt of street crime after dark

And reality is 99+% of "mom and pop" or ethnic restaurants in any city/suburb are about as unhealthy and low quality as fast junk food from any corporate chain
What's with the attitude? How about mentioning some specific examples from your own experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose