U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,058 times
Default Moving to San Jose with two dog and two cats

Hello all,

My wife and I need to move to San Jose for her job this summer and we're having a helluva time finding RENTAL apartments/condos/townhomes or even houses that will allow more than two pets in total (we have two large, well behaved dogs and two cats). We really don't want to take on another mortgage after just selling our home in Chicago and getting out from under that rock. Does anyone know of any place that welcomes 4 pets? Frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,594,649 times
Have you looked on Craigslist?
Here are rentals for south bay (type in San Jose in the box next to "search for") and make sure you click the little box next to "cats" and next to "dogs".

south bay apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,814,518 times
I totally understand the frustration. I have one 60lb dog and I had a hard time finding a place to rent as well. Just be persistent. Unfortunately, many landlords and property managers assume that having a pet automatically means the place is going to go to s***.
My wife and I take great care of the house we're renting and if you walked in and didn't see our dog or his food/water bowls, you wouldn't even know a pet lived there.
I have to disagree with coyoteskye on this one. Do not check the box for dogs and cats when you're searching Craigslist. Many landlords/property managers don't even use these when posting their ads, so you're vastly limiting your search when you narrow it down too much. The house I'm renting now didn't indicate on the ad that pets were allowed, but when I called the landlord he said he was ok with pets.
I even called on ads that said "no pets", unless they specifically made it a point to say "no exceptions" regarding having pets. I found that many landlords were actually open to the idea of having pets, even though their posting indicated "no pets".
You'll most likely have better luck renting from a private owner and not dealing with a property management company. You'll just have to be persuasive about how well-behaved your pets are and convince a prospective landlord that they will not cause any problems.
Good luck in your search!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM

2,893 posts, read 7,594,649 times
That sounds like good advice regarding the checking of those cat and dog boxes.
I've never considered that.
Although the o.p. has 2 large dogs and 2 cats so he may not have the kind of luck you've had but it's definitely worth the try.
And it is frustrating.
It's difficult enough to find rentals where i live (Santa Cruz county) and having a dog makes it even more difficult.
And then, often when a place is found that accepts dogs, the landlord wants extra $$$.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-07-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,367,441 times
I know this sounds a bit tacky, but I'd look around the downtown area near San Jose State University because it's not as "glamorous" or "nice" as other areas, but it's not unsafe, either. I think they are little more open to pets there. You don't want to live in a ghetto, but, frankly, a really nice place might be hard to find with that many pets. Over the decades pets being allowed has really diminished. It's a shame, because they actually are healthy for humans.

I do have a co-worker, who only has one dog, though, who did talk her landlord into letting her have her dog. She brought the dog along, and had it washed and all spiffed up before meeting the landlord, had it do some tricks, showed it behaved, and she got the place. So, I think that landlords may have heard too many horror stories about irresponsible tenants, and just make it an overall rule to say "no pets." But if you can convince them that you are former homeowners, you respect other people's property, and you take good care of your pets, maybe you can find a soft-hearted person to say "Yes."

Good luck to you -- I know it's really tough with pets. But if you can let them know how responsible you are, you might have a good chance.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,490 times
We combined two families and ended up with 5 cats so I completely feel your pain here

I've been looking on craigslist too and am finding that houses for rent seem to be more open to more than 2 animals than apartments.

I did try this too: Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

I found a few places that said a max of 2 cats but I'm not sure if that's 2 cats + 2 dogs

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose