U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,606,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretel666 View Post
I am a third generation Los Gatan; locals pronounce it Lahs Ghat-as. If you are from the town, you pronounce it like this. A lot of bone heads pronounce it in Spanish (which once mutterd to a native, they know you are not from the area and a dork). Its like San Jose, a lot of folks say "sana zay" if you say it a la espanol its momentarily disturbing. If you are Latino, you can pronounce them in Spanish, but for Anglos, kicking into their high school spanish, its amuzing. If you are going to pronounce in Spanish, I hope you pronounce Los Angeles like lohs angelees and San Francisco like Sahn Franceesco.
Totally agree...a friend of mine and I were talking awhile back about how people who are from San Jose pronounce it as one word- "Sannozay", whereas people from other places clearly pronounce the "h" sound in Jose.
While we're on the topic, you also know somebody's not from here when they're referring to the Santa Clara Valley/San Jose area as just "Santa Clara". Locals know that when you say "Santa Clara" you are specifically referring to the city of Santa Clara. Santa Clara County is the county!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-19-2010, 03:05 PM

414 posts, read 445,293 times
LOL. You are so right, too, about "Los Angeles" or "San Francisco." I guess it's just one of those things where you grow up hearing it a certain way it becomes the norm. As opposed to, in my case, reading "Los Gatos" on a map and then hearing it.

I'm going to have to take notes. I should rename this "Things NOT to say in San Jose if you don't want to stand out."

Unread 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM

6,936 posts, read 5,094,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
I should rename this "Things NOT to say in San Jose if you don't want to stand out."

Silly waste of energy trying to please all the locals. If they're so snotty they look down their nose at someone saying a city name properly or a bit different than the local clique, leave 'em to their own sad existence. Thought that was supposed to have been left in high school.

(I lived in the hills above Los Gatos, and the people up there collectively laugh at the people down there because of stuff like this)

Unread 07-17-2010, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,282 times
The Spanish may have originally commented on the big cats in the mountains of the area, but the Town of Los Gatos was founded much later; and in a general area with a number of Portuguese residents (among people of other ethnicities) who influenced the pronunciation of the name. A lot of Bay Area street and place names had their pronunciation influenced by the Portuguese settlers throughout the area. Some of the street and place names were actually named by Portuguese people, not Spanish. This is especially true in Woodside, Pescadero, and a number of the once rural and coastal places throughout San Mateo County, and also throughout Santa Clara County.

A lot of the words in Portuguese look identical, or similar, to Spanish words, but they are pronounced distinctly different. The Portuguese also often made an effort to Americanize their names. There is nothing wrong with this. There is also nothing wrong with the way Americans have further evolved the place and street names in their lives. Language is dynamic.

Gatos in Portuguese is pronounced with a somewhat flatter "a," and the "os" ending is pronounced more like a quickly spoken "oos." I went to one of the online Portuguese language instructional sites, and it said to pronounce the "a" similar to how you would pronounce the "a" in "master, or rather." IMO, it sounds more like a cross between the Spanish "a," and the flat "a" found in American spoken English. Whatever...

At any rate, when in Rome do as the Romans do. If you cannot, or will not, then you are probably not a good match for moving to Rome. ;>)

Unread 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

6,936 posts, read 5,094,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by There'sASnakeInMyCar View Post
Gatos in Portuguese is pronounced with a somewhat flatter "a," and the "os" ending is pronounced more like a quickly spoken "oos."
As long as one does not hang around Santa Cruz Ave. or Main St. saying Los Ghettos, they should get along fine. Otherwise, you will be identified as either a wayward Saratogan or Los Altan trying to be an ass.

Unread 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM

334 posts, read 568,045 times
Same goes for San Rafael in Marin. Locals pronounce Sann Rah Fell vs. Sahn Ra fy ell. (im not very good at the phonetic spellings, but basically locals pronounce Rafael w/ 2 syllables vs. 3.

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM

7,796 posts, read 11,187,565 times
.........same reason Aptos is pronounced Aptas, I guess.

Gatos in Portuguese is pronounced with a somewhat flatter "a," and the "os" ending is pronounced more like a quickly spoken "oos

But, in Portuguese it would be Os Gatos.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM

753 posts, read 704,322 times
For gringos, it's pronounced Los(as in "loss") Gat(as in "cat")os(as in "gross").

There's a proper Spanish pronunciation but you'd have to ask a latin American how to perform it and even when someone did, it would sound so foreign that you would go back to the gringo way of pronouncing it.

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM

14,141 posts, read 13,723,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
For gringos, it's pronounced Los(as in "loss") Gat(as in "cat")os(as in "gross").
That's how I've always said it. Similar to Los Altos.

Unread 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Status: "Get there fast and then take it slow" (set 2 days ago)

5,720 posts, read 9,772,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

There's a proper Spanish pronunciation but you'd have to ask a latin American how to perform it and even when someone did, it would sound so foreign that you would go back to the gringo way of pronouncing it.
"Loss" would sound the same as Las, the feminine article. Since Gatos is a masculine noun, Los Gatos is correct and both "o"s are pronounced the same as in the word gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose