U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM

6,834 posts, read 16,763,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
SJ is the nerd epicenter of America, LA is the tacky entertainment epicenter of America. Traffic, city street layout, and architecture feel very similar. Santana Row is a lot like the Grove. Traffic jams and jumbled freeways exist in both. SJ has a lot of Mexican culture, and a lot of palm trees, like LA. So SJ looks a lot like LA, but the culture is more iPad than lip injection.
I've lived in the Silicon Valley for 20 years and I'm not sure where all the nerds are. It seems to me most of the people I run into are contractors, woodworkers, realtors.. the people I do know who work in high-tech spend zero time on it after they leave the office.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

18,985 posts, read 16,194,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscholar2010 View Post
I am considering moving out of Los Angeles (Glendale) to the San Jose area...have any of you done that? And if so, what have been the positive aspects of such move...THANKS for your input...
Can't speak to the benefits but it seems to me you'll just be trading sprawl with as beach to sprawl without one and getting a shift in diversity.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM

954 posts, read 651,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Can't speak to the benefits but it seems to me you'll just be trading sprawl with as beach to sprawl without one and getting a shift in diversity.
Heh, I'm pretty sure Glendale to Santa Monica would take longer than San Jose to Santa Cruz; and highway 17 is a bit more scenic.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM

18,985 posts, read 16,194,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Heh, I'm pretty sure Glendale to Santa Monica would take longer than San Jose to Santa Cruz; and highway 17 is a bit more scenic.
Ya got me there!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,417,490 times
Quote:
Definitely not! Have you ever driven the 17 to Santa Cruz on a sunny weekend? Glendale to Santa Monica is less than 20 miles amd you have the choice of multiple routes. The recommended scenic route is Sunset Blvd. through Beverly Hills,Brentwood and Pacific Palisades.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM

753 posts, read 842,753 times
Great thread for me as I'm a native San Josean. I used to have no desire to live in LA- my perception was it has a hotter climate, worse air quality, worse traffic and a more ubiquitous gangbanger culture. Probably not an objective perception but that's how LA is so often depicted in the media.

As a native Californian, though, I've recently developed a desire to live in CA's bigger, more prominent metropolis for a few years but you make me want to revert to my previous revulsion to LA .

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes2 View Post
I had my personal safety problems in SJ but the atmosphere was not as negative there as it is down here. When I first moved here, I couldn't get used to all the police action, complete with sirens. In SJ, to get that kind of police action, a person had to live in the downtown area. It was so quiet in Saratoga I could sleep at any time of the night or day. I miss SJ and the entire Bay area.
..you're comparing a safe, affluent bedroom community of the SV with what look like one of LA's more run-down parts, though.

East Side San Jose has the character you describe LA as having, if not with the same intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I've lived in the Silicon Valley for 20 years and I'm not sure where all the nerds are. It seems to me most of the people I run into are contractors, woodworkers, realtors.. the people I do know who work in high-tech spend zero time on it after they leave the office.
You've implied what I've long believed; San Jose's residents are mostly working class people. That is to say- even those who have improved their economic status still have a working class character and culture.

The middle-to-upper class people in the SV are almost all west of SJ. I'm talking about Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto. They have a totally different culture.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 PM

954 posts, read 651,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Definitely not! Have you ever driven the 17 to Santa Cruz on a sunny weekend? Glendale to Santa Monica is less than 20 miles amd you have the choice of multiple routes. The recommended scenic route is Sunset Blvd. through Beverly Hills,Brentwood and Pacific Palisades.
What fool would do that? I head over Friday night.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,594,110 times
Quote:
What fool would do that? I head over Friday night.
Though that brings more surprise deer-crossing into play. Hwy 17 was closed for a while last night due to an injured mountain lion lurking about the road near Lexington Reservoir.
Otherwise, it is a better idea to plan trips over the hill which don't coincide with everybody else doing the same thing at the same time, i.e. hot summer Saturday mornings. It's a good thing to have a regular place picked out to stay overnight in SC, rather than brave the return-trip crowds, or drive after partying.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM

159 posts, read 197,179 times
I am very familiar with both places and have to agree that the San Jose area is less populated, cleaner and for some people a better place to live. But its like comparing apples to oranges. L.A. has more excitement, the entertainment capital of the world. Bottom line both are very desirable places to live..it depends who you are and where the best vibes are.. I would love to have real estate properties in both areas, I would never be bored

Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM

2,072 posts, read 2,397,002 times
If high speed rail ever gets built you can live in either and have the benefits of both. The trip from LA to SJ will be less than two hours and will probably cost less than $50. They might even have some kind of monthly pass for those who make the trip often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose