Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 AM

88 posts, read 272,733 times

Advertisements

I've never been to your city (plan to visit soon) but I am very intrigued. It seems like a very beautiful place. From what I gather it sounds like the city imposes certain zoning laws and regulations that maintain the old school look of the city.

I have no doubt Santa Fe is loaded with awesome restaurants and boutiques....but what about the typical day to day shopping? Is there anyplace in reasonable driving distance that is equivalent to a modern day Strip Mall? If you need to get to a Wal-Mart or Home Depot do you have to drive to Albequerque or are there commercial districts that have all the modern retailers available nearby?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,633,004 times
I think there are two Wal-Marts and a Home Depot in Santa Fe. There are architecture requirements in many areas, and like most larger cities there are zoning laws and regulations. I live in the Albequerque area. We normally only go to Santa Fe when we have visitors, and we do the tourist areas as best we can with the time limitations.

Come on out and enjoy the area...

Rich

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 28,465 times
Almost 7 yrs ago..when we first came out to S-F..we spent an extra week here..we loved it so much. We ended up in Georgia O'Keeffe Country overlooking the Village of Abiquiu (which S-F is not). We're happy! ~dfk

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM

293 posts, read 969,435 times
Santa Fe is certainly a beautiful place for tourists to visit, but it's also a lively and active city of 60,000. The commercial area is centered on Cerrillos road, which radiates south west from the center of the city, but there are other shopping plazas scattered throughout. So yes, we have all the chains you'd expect to see - Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, and even a small mall with Dillards, Sears and JCPenney.

It's possible to live your entire day-to-day life without leaving Santa Fe.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 12,693 times
Talking Where to go for...

This is not high on my list... but no TJMaxx or Marshalls? I'm rather chuckling that Santa Fe has TWO Walmarts, and is an expensive place to live.... so thought the clothing selection would be right up there. Must be in the private shops.... down Plaza way??? Then,, too, sounds like there are resale/consignment shops for me to haunt... Thanks for your input... and just had to add to "important" retail chains that I had hoped would be around... but then I'll bet Alburque has TJ's and Marshalls, hey? Soultrysol..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,010,465 times
We have TJ Maxx, Ross, and Tuesday Morning here.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstroh View Post
I have no doubt Santa Fe is loaded with awesome restaurants and boutiques....but what about the typical day to day shopping? Is there anyplace in reasonable driving distance that is equivalent to a modern day Strip Mall? If you need to get to a Wal-Mart or Home Depot do you have to drive to Albequerque or are there commercial districts that have all the modern retailers available nearby?
This is not an inclusive list for Santa Fe. Just a list my wife had:
Bath and Body Works
Bed Bath and Beyond
Bella Wax Spa
Best Buy
Boot Barn
Claire's Boutique
Cutlery of Santa Fe
Dairy Queen
DEB Shop
Design Warehouse
Dillard's
Dollar Tree
Elegant Nails
Fanzz
Foot Action
Foot Locker
Gap/Gap Kids
GNC
JC Penney
Journeys
Just Things
Kay Jewelers
Kids Foot Locker
Kohl's
Lady Foot Locker
Lenscrafters
Lowe's Home Improvement
M & J Bridal
Mastercuts
Mattress Firm
Meiying Co
Milagro Herbs
Nstyle
Office Depot
Orange Nation
Pandora's
Payless Shoes
Perfume Town
Petco
Pier 1 Imports
Piercing Pagoda
Pretzel Zone
Pro Fix Jewelry & Watch Repair
Radio Shack
Regis Salon
REI
Rice Village
Rich 1's Barber Shop
Sam's Club
Sears
Senor Murphy Candymaker
Sleepytime Furniture
Sports Authority
Sunglass Hut
Target
The Children's Place
Victoria’s Secret
Walgreens
Walmart
Whole Foods Market
Zales
Zumiez

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,503,527 times
Trader Joe's?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Trader Joe's?
Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Santa Fe (165)
530 W Cordova Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505-995-8145

Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,372,162 times
I don't see that Santa Fe has a Costco yet (nor does Las Cruces). And the Dillards, a better quality department store, is one of the smaller stores not like the large Dillards on the east side in Albuquerque. But Santa Fe seems to have come a long way in the last ten years with respect to retail shopping. I remember when buying my brother's Christmas present, I would always buy something from Walmart in case he needed to return it. There was no Target in Santa Fe at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe