Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:57 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times

Advertisements

I've had more close calls in 1 year with other vehicles here, than in 36 years of driving in Metro Wash., DC traffic??

Blowing through Stop Signs................................
Blowing through Red Lights...............................
Failure to yield right of way.................................
Lack of turn signal use........................................
Erratic driving (drunk or dementia?)....................

Jeez, I commuted 137 miles A DAY in Maryland, but never ran across so many lousy drivers in my life?
Maybe they could start a TV series on Santa Fe drivers?
How 'bout.....THE DRIVING DEAD?

Works for me.................................

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 PM

182 posts, read 708,051 times
It's much the same here in TX, too. Can't believe you didn't see this kind of discourteous (and illegal) driving in DC, as I expect it would be about the same in every major city in America nowadays.

Can't say re: Santa Fe in particular (only been there twice) but CAN say that NM in general has more than its share of drunk drivers, so be careful out there.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,789 times
Santa Fe's own Jim Terr did a short movie about our disdain for stop signs.
Here it is

Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM

424 posts, read 953,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
I've had more close calls in 1 year with other vehicles here, than in 36 years of driving in Metro Wash., DC traffic??

Blowing through Stop Signs................................
Blowing through Red Lights...............................
Failure to yield right of way.................................
Lack of turn signal use........................................
Erratic driving (drunk or dementia?)....................

Jeez, I commuted 137 miles A DAY in Maryland, but never ran across so many lousy drivers in my life?
Maybe they could start a TV series on Santa Fe drivers?
How 'bout.....THE DRIVING DEAD?

Works for me.................................

Steve
Wow, I spent 1 year in DC on an assignment and I felt like the drivers were no different than NM drivers if not worse. After 36 years in DC you obviously weren't paying much attention to the unskilled drivers there.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
I also came from the DC area and I agree. Ive seen more red light runners in 8 months here in NM than in my whole 15 years of driving on the east coast.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
The drivers in Santa Fe drive me crazy...until I go to Albuquerque. Then it actually makes me appreciate SF drivers!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I was amazed at the number of folks that do u-turns on the interstates. Shortly after moving here, I came within about 3 feet of rear ending someone on I25 when they decided to turn around. To curtail the number of accidents where folks fly over to the opposite of the Interstates, the state is installing more barriers. That should reduce the number of u-turners.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 11,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
Santa Fe's own Jim Terr did a short movie about our disdain for stop signs.
But in truth, that may be the stupidest placement of a stop sign in America. Another of Santa Fe's charms, is the idiotic placement of traffic signs.

That sign is where Galisteo, Montezuma and Cerrillos merge together. If you actually stop at the sign, you cannot see if there is traffic coming down Cerrillos. If they moved the sign 20 feet forward, people would probably actually come to something resembling a stop.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:29 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmesa View Post
But in truth, that may be the stupidest placement of a stop sign in America. Another of Santa Fe's charms, is the idiotic placement of traffic signs.

That sign is where Galisteo, Montezuma and Cerrillos merge together. If you actually stop at the sign, you cannot see if there is traffic coming down Cerrillos. If they moved the sign 20 feet forward, people would probably actually come to something resembling a stop.
That sign is now a yield sign.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 17,659 times
I was stopped on Rodeo in Traffic at redlight and rear ended by a drunk with a cattle guard on front of his truck. Total loss of a new car, Result major back surgery cost medical $75,000 lost income $140,000 ! Permanent injuries. One year later turning left in front of State Capitol at the grocery "French" local blows through redlight broad sides me total loss new car again...$50,000 leg surgery. I call him to ask his "policy limit" when medical bills exceed what his insurance claims is the cap to keep them honest. He tells me in his french accent" I don't know why you call me you did not look so hurt to me!" I asked "did you notice you knocked me 75 feet through the intersection, wipe out my car and I was carried away unconscious in an ambulance friend?" His reply? " Well you were not bleeedeeing so much and... do not be mad with me because I was very stressed and in a hurry that day." You goota laugh or cry or die here! I am serious this was real. I have driven In Mexcio City Kathmandu etc etc. Santa Fe is insane! Never never ever go when the light turns green! Wait for at least two or three that will come after it is red and you have the green. GOOD LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe