Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 12,581 times

Advertisements

Thanks! Helps my feelings a lot!!! Do you have suggestions as to the most quiet area of Eldorado - don't mind being a distance off the main road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:29 PM

62 posts, read 175,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Force Winds View Post
Thanks! Helps my feelings a lot!!! Do you have suggestions as to the most quiet area of Eldorado - don't mind being a distance off the main road.
Hi Gail,

IMO most of Eldorado is really rather quiet if you are a bit off the main roads. I'd think though that you might have more luck with the area towards the back of Eldorado (Ave. Azul, Ave. Casa del Oro) and maybe stay away from the more populated areas, like by the Community Center, elementary school, library, and the Agora. But really, aside from dogs barking sometimes, it's incredibly quiet out here. Even the main roads don't have a lot of traffic.

Hope that helps some!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Gail,

Tonight we were sitting out on our portal eating dinner, and we remarked at how quiet it was. We could actually hear the wings of a hummingbird whirring as it came in to land on the feeder. You could even hear the light breeze rustle the forsythia bush in our front yard.

We could hear some birds singing, and a few dogs barking, but I would get they were a half a mile away, so the sound was faint. There was no traffic noise at all, and I don't know when the last time was that I heard a siren.

This is a very quiet place to live. Very peaceful. Almost serene much of the time.

Of course there are sometimes those squealing, barking coyotes in the night -- but I rather enjoy hearing them.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,405 times
My impression of Eldorado -- I don't live there -- is a fairly well planned community that would be fairly quiet. My other impression is that of all the planned communities or developments that have grown up around Santa Fe it seems to be the most reasonably priced -- in other words the most house for your money. And it has the added bonus of a good elementary plus intermediate school.

I am not sure why that is -- why you would pay significantly more for less house and less lot in say Aldea Estates -- but it seems to be the case.

My personal preference is for something less tidy -- less planned -- but if you like planned, then you won't go wrong with Eldorado.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 27,676 times
A friend who lives in Eldorado has a picture on her fridge of a black bear in her back yard! Apparently the dryness in the higher elevations had driven it down the mountain to look for food and water. But that is very unusual I think

Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 27,676 times
I just wanted to add my agreement to the other posters who think that Eldorado would definitely NOT be a place for a single guy with no transportation. Even getting to the local grocery store would be a problem, as you could live in Eldorado but still be miles from the local super market and other aminities. Eldorado is a nice, quiet and peaceful place but I agree that it is not easy to meet the neighbors.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryC132 View Post
I just wanted to add my agreement to the other posters who think that Eldorado would definitely NOT be a place for a single guy with no transportation. Even getting to the local grocery store would be a problem, as you could live in Eldorado but still be miles from the local super market and other aminities. Eldorado is a nice, quiet and peaceful place but I agree that it is not easy to meet the neighbors.
Agreed. For a married couple with young children Eldorado has got to be one of the best choices in Santa Fe County. But single without a car? I don't think so.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,424 times
Question Eldorado Senior Center/Chorus?

Is the schedule for the Senior Center in Eldorado posted on line? I have been reading the Vistas newsletter and keeping tabs on the Eldorado Web site but this is one piece of info I haven't been able to locate. I'm interested in what kind of classes, times offered, who teaches, etc.

We are interested in relocating from the Chicago area where I have an established exercise program and I hope to put together something similar in Eldorado.

Also, is there a local chorus or a cappella group in Eldorado? If not, do you think there might be people interested in starting one? And a place to rehearse?

Thank you so much for conveying the sense of community in Eldorado. It's an unusual "community within a community". If all goes well we will show up sometime in 2010.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM

27 posts, read 62,596 times
My fiance and I are looking to relocate. Specifically from Omaha, Nebraska. We don't have a definite place in mind, but several places in New Mexico have caught my eye, Eldorado among them. So far, everyone seems to be very helpful, so I hope I can get some answers!

What kind of shopping is available in Eldorado? I don't necessarily mean specialty shops, but how far "away from it all" are you in the city? What would you have to leave town to get?

I've seen several complaints about the traffic around Eldorado. I'm a bit unsure about where, though. Is traffic bad just getting into/out of Eldorado? Or are the streets regularly congested all around?

Are there many jobs available in the city, or do most working people commute? What types of jobs are available in the city? My fiance is an Esthetician (spa treatments related to the skin, specifically.) Is there any availability for such work in Eldorado? I've worked in commissioned sales, landscaping, general labor, etc, so I can find work just about anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Hi alexyz,

Let me try to answer your questions as best I can.

First of all, Eldorado is not a town or a city..it is a subdivision/community/neighborhood/etc/ along Hwy 285 about 12 miles southeast of Santa Fe. It IS quite large though, with 2500+ homes. I-25 is about a mile away, so getting onto the highway is quick and the drive into Santa Fe is fast (approx. 20 minutes).

Shopping in Eldorado is what I would call limited. We have a couple of small shopping areas, but no big stores. The Eldorado Supermarket is a fairly good sized grocery store, but the prices tend to run higher than the larger supermarkets in Santa Fe. In addition to the supermarket, there is a coffee shop, several small specialty shops, a mailing place, a pharmacy, and a bank. Several stores have closed in the past year -- just hard to do a very big business out here when Santa Fe is so close for shopping. Really, I would say virtually all shopping must be done in Santa Fe.

There are several restaurants in Eldorado - Copa de Oro (which is the nicest of them), a pizza place, Subway, and Blue Moon Cafe, which is inexpensive and out on the highway across from the main Eldorado entrance, and my personal favorite of those few right here in Eldorado. Over on Old Las Vegas Highway, a few miles from Eldorado is Bobcat Bite restaurant, a tiny place with possibly the best green chile cheeseburgers in New Mexico (subject to a lot of debate. ) A new place, Food Nation has also opened on the Old Las Vegas Highway; there are always a lot of cars there but I haven't been to it yet.

Traffic in Eldorado? I can't imagine anyone complaining about traffic here. The traffic is very light all the time; there really isn't even a rush hour -- even during times when people are leaving for work or coming home, you will usually see less than a dozen or so cars on the roads. There are half a dozen "major" roads running through the subdivision which are paved and carry the "heaviest" traffic, which is still light by anyone's standards. I have driven home from the entrance off Hwy. 285 all the way to my house at the western end of Eldorado without seeing a single car! We live on a residential unpaved road; I have never counted, but there are days when I don't think more than 10 cars go by my house all day. I can'y remember when (if ever) I have heard a siren in Eldorado, though we sometimes hear the whistle of the daily excursion train which makes one trip a day through Eldorado on its Santa Fe - Lamy run.

Vitrually everyone commutes. I guess there would be a few jobs -- the school, supermarket, bank, restaurants, but Eldorado is a residential community. There aren't any large employers here, and only the few small business I have mentioned. You would have to drive in to Santa Fe for work, either on I-25 or Old Las Vegas Highway, and since I don't drive during the rush hours, I am not sure how heavy the traffic is -- I would have to say not very.

I would characterize Eldorado as a semi-rural community. You are not going to find any hustle and bustle, and it's very quiet here almost all of the time. No traffic problems, no congestion, but then on the other hand, no jobs really. And that's the way the residents like it.

Almost Ellen,

There are really not a lot of classes taught at the Senior Center, as far as I know. There is a knitting class every Tuesday morning, and I have heard there is an exercise class, but I have not heard when or how often. The Senior Center is still fairly new, and I think there will be more classes in the future, so maybe at some point they will be publishing or posting a schedule.

Eldorado has a community band, but no choral group that I know of. Lots of people here of all ages, especially retirees who may have an interest and available time, so who knows what you might be able to get started.

Best of luck to both of you on your continued research. Let us know if you have more questions, and we'll try to answer if we can.

~Sharon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe