Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 112,574 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a place to retire and are considering the Santa Fe NM area. However, we have one big concern--after living in Nevada, my husband discovered he is severely allergic to rabbit brush when it blooms in the Fall. Can anyone tell me if there is much (or any) rabbit brush around Santa Fe? If so, is there anywhere in New Mexico that does NOT have rabbit brush? Appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
Not sure what Rabbit Brush is.. Do you have more info on it?

Find out what elevation it grows at, that could help on where to live.

Last edited by chilegal; 09-30-2007 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: another thought

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Rabbitbrush (most common species, chrysothamnus nauseosue)often grows among sagebrush. It grows from 2 to 4 feet tall, has soft gray-green leaves. It has tufts of yellow flowers that bloom August or September. Lovely when it blooms, except to those who have allergies. Hiking, I have seen it at many different elevations, until you get extremely high, almost to timberline. Don't really want to live above timberline!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-16-2014 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: fix format attributes

Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
Just Google "rabbitbrush in new mexico". It will have a result that is a nursery in Santa Fe that actually sells rabbitbrush. It says it is hardy in zones 4-9, so it should grow in Santa Fe. I remember seeing this (or at least something like this) while visiting there last year.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 17,487 times
Default rabbitbrush in Santa Fe

Hello. I live in Santa Fe, have for 13 years. We have tons of rabbitbrush, which is also related to chamisa, one of the two most notorious allergens in NM (the other being juniper). The season can start as early as August and now, in early October, it's still going strong.

I don't mean to discourage you but if your husband tends to develop allergies, Santa Fe is not a great place for you to consider. Many folks who had no allergies when they moved here develop allergies to juniper or chamisa after a few years. I suppose it's because it's so dry here, plants put out a lot of pollen to increase their odds of reproductive success. Add to that our seasonal high winds (to spread it around), lack of precipitation (so it hangs in the air), and the fact that most homes don't have a/c (so you regulate the temp in your home using open windows), and life can be pretty unpleasant for someone with allergies. I know - my child spends literally months every year socked in with one allergy or another.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Rabbit Brush

Thanks Hideaway. Your information was most helpful. And,unfortunately, it does sound like Santa Fe will not work for us. Guess we'll keep looking.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM

19 posts, read 119,591 times
Default Allergies & Asthma in Santa Fe

I have been thinking about moving to Santa Fe (to Eldorado), and I am wondering if anyone knows how Santa Fe rates for allergies and asthma. I have allergies to pollen, molds and dust. I live here in Sonoma County, California, where there is lots of pollen and mold and I am miserable with asthma in the spring.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM

65 posts, read 246,243 times
Lots of pollen in the spring.
Many people are sensitive to juniper pollen.
I have had allergies all my life. I expect to get some symptoms this spring.
Last year was bad for me, in late summer with all kinds of weeds and grasses blooming.
This year I am attempting to preempt allergic reactions by eating bee pollen.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 AM

19 posts, read 119,591 times
Thanks. I had juniper allergies when I lived in Austin, TX, so I would probably have it there, too. It's the asthma that is really getting to me. I developed it several years ago in response to the allergies.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Achoo...this year has been bad for juniper pollen. Yesterday I felt a little better but last week was the worst yet. When I lived in Eldorado I can remember driving out and thinking there was a fire but it was the juniper bushes releasing pollen. Big puffs of brown coming off the bushes. I love NM except for the allergies in spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: