Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:01 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are there places that don't have snakes? I don't know? I believe if the area is cold enough, then snakes can't survive??? But I'd prefer snakes to really cold.
Devin, here in Western WA there are only grass snakes. Really & truly, just grass snakes or garden snakes, I guess they are also called. As you cross the Cascade Mtn range you will start to see other snakes (rattlers & so forth, although we've camped there several times and haven't even seen any).

~Sogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Default Latest snake encounter

For some reason, Western Diamondbacks love being near my home. Two Sundays ago, I was mowing the lawn, and stopped the mower about 3 inches short of what I thought was a rock. When I bent down to pick it up, I could see it clearly wasn't a rock. It was a very coiled snake. Anyway, I was able to nudge it off the lawn, so I could continue my mowing. Here it is:

Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
No i don't kill unless only as a last resort of defensive means. I don't even kill spiders as i studied them and ants and aphids as a kid.

I was amazed on Nova PBS several weeks back about the ''ant tamer'' who went and collected African Army ants near his village and brought them to attack the Termite mounds that had infested their homes and detroyed their wood roofs and all who were collecting them were getting stung and felt pain and here this old and wise african man had them crawling all over his hands and bare feet and felt no pain. One of his grandkids asked him why he was protected and he said it was because he prayed to the Ants spirits.

I thought that was kinda cool .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-23-2008 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Devin Bent made me choose:

> I give you your choice -- bitten by:
> a. 8 foot bull (gopher) snake
> b. 8 foot western diamond backed rattler

I choose not to be bitten by either one. Why ask the question in the first place?

You are not likely to be surprised by an 8-foot snake (unless you are being reckless outside).

When I was talking about getting bitten by a snake that is likely to get inside the house - something 8-18 inches or so. You'll be visiting the hospital in any case.

If you see such a snake in your house, then you too should choose not to be bitten and arrange to trap it in a bucket or shoo it outside.

> ... then make the choice for a two year old child.

Irrelevant. If I had a two year old in danger of being bitten, there still wouldn't be any choice and the action would be the same: prevent a bite.

Just because the snake is venomous wouldn't change my behavior toward it. I wouldn't consider it safe to just grab it because it couldn't inject me with a toxin of its own making.

Last edited by mortimer; 06-23-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think snakes are a cool form adaption to environmental conditions. Locomotion without legs and, for many, thermal target imaging is a unique way of making a living. Besides most snakes eat things I don't care to live with.

One of the funnier incidents from my Vietnam days was when I was on leave in Bangkok. A bunch of us were at the zoo and I was holding a 20 ft long python. When I turned to as one of the guys to take a picture they were standing there giving me a big-eyed stare. After a bit, Jerry said, “throw the camera.” I wonder where that picture is now.

Sad part is that four weeks later Jerry went home in a box. Too many of us did that.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Default Mod message

OK, everyone, let's try to get back on topic here and a little less personal and bickering - thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
We HAVE actually already called Animal Control since we moved here...first week after we moved in.

We had a crow in our courtyard who was acting weird ...stumbling around, falling down, unable to fly.

Because of our concerns about bird flu, we called Animal Control right away ... I think they are a Santa Fe County agency. They arrived promptly ... and humanely got the crow into a bag and took him away.

I would call them again if need be.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
I've always been extremely fond of all things reptilian; esp. snakes. But the way my luck has been degrading lately I'll probably soon be meeting the business end of a pair of fangs when we finally make the move to TorC!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Default does NM have snakes?

In our 2 1/2 yrs in Albuq & traveling around NM, we didn't see a single snake.

Then we move back to Md, and within a couple weeks I saw a 3 1/2 ft. eastern diamondback on the Appalachian Trail. Go figure.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Oh Towanda, I guess you wouldn't like my pet. Some people think he's scary but he's really just full of rice.

When I first moved out there I left my door open and a bird flew in. That was a trick getting him out. I don't like spiders. I know they are good and I've gotten use to them outside but if they are in the house, I kill them and then feel guilty. especially centipedes--ugh. I like snakes though (if you can't tell by my pot Especially after mice started coming into my house in Eldorado and when I lifted a piece of plywood outside and a rat was under it. Snakes were welcome! I've only heard one rattlesnake during the eight years I lived out there and that was on a hike in the Eldorado wilderness and a dog was nosing around some rocks. The owner called him off and that ended the rattling. I saw two huge bull snakes out there. One was slithering along the edge of my house where there were weeds. The other was going across the road and my brother thought it was a rattlesnake. It was more dramatic so I let him and his wife think it was. The snake was moving slowwwwwww....maybe that big rat size bulge in his middle had something to do with it. Good snakey...snakes are my friends. Plague...haute virus......eat those rodents.
Attached Thumbnails
Considering A Relocation To The Santa Fe Area - Concerned Snakes In Santa Fe Area-snake8.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe