Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you've had the deer pest problem well under control....all that meat on the hoof walking around!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 28,517 times
re: snakes

I relocated from DC, and didn't know if I'd be snake phoebic. Turns out..I'm not. I was vigilent for a few weeks..and the vigilence since is natural. In fact..I find them awesome ...and beautiful (rattlers-bulls-red racers)!

Furthermore..it depends upon where ur friend is planning to live. Bet there hasn't been a rattler spotted within 10 blocks of the plaza for sometime (wild). dfk

Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
Santa Fe doesn't sound so bad on the snake front, except for the 8 snakes Towanda encountered on the outskirts of Sante Fe. Coyotes are being sighted in NY now, My brother saw one where he parks his truck near a wooded park along the Hudson River.

A local reporter was attack by rattlesnake on a SD hiking trail while I was there..
From everything that I have read, watched and observed, rattlesnakes don't go on the attack. There is something I have read about them being 'Gentlemanly'. Unless one steps on them, they'll usually just rattle and give you chance to back off. They don't go 'on the attack'.

Coyotes are not to be feared unless they display rabid behavior in my own humble opinion. While living in Sierra Vista AZ, I saw them get hit sometimes at night on Fry Blvd.; the main street going through SV.

While in SV one time on vacation in the winter, I saw what I thought was a funny looking cat with interesting ears. I looked it up and it was a bobcat (nosing around a hotel in the middle of the city limits)! We kind of observed it quietly and let it go about its business. Interesting experience.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I agree with what you're saying but technically there's one that does not - Hawaii.
Make that two --- Alaska

Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 AM

390 posts, read 951,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Make that two --- Alaska
North, a funny story because it ended ok. A dear friend of mine was captain of a crab boat in Alaska. One night he and friends were drinking and one had a dead but intact rattlesnake, in a jar, he had just brought from the lower states. Well you guessed it. The not so sober friend put his hand in the jar and had to be air lifted to a hospital outside Alaska that could treat the bite! The snake was dead but because of their neuro system can still release venom and bite down for about 72 hours after death.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 PM

244 posts, read 643,883 times
Default There are rattlesnakes in Santa Fe

I moved to Santa Fe about 1 year ago. I'm irrationally afraid of snakes, especially venomous ones. I asked lots of people about rattlesnakes because I like to go hiking with my dogs. Almost everyone said: "oh, don't worry, I've lived here for 20 years and never seen a snake..."

Well, I'm here to tell you that I have seen 6 rattlesnakes in the 12 months I've been here.

Yesterday there were TWO on my patio, just 12 inches from my back screen door. I went outside without looking around and the first one was coiled up and rattled at me. I F-ing lost it! I screamed like a child and ran off. Then I was watching it from a distance because I needed to get back in the house and I didn't shut the door behind me and my dogs were inside. The coiled rattler stayed in position for at least 10 minutes. Then, after that one slowly meandered away, a second one showed up, crawled all across my patio, went up to my screen door, acted as if he wanted to get inside but then slowly meandered away.

I live just past Harry's restaurant (Old Las Vegas Hwy), about half way between Harry's and Bobcat Bite burger joint. I called animal control and they said there are loads of rattlesnakes out here, especially in Eldorado where they receive most of their calls for rattlers being inside people's homes!!!

I just wanted to post this because most people act like rattlers aren't in Santa Fe and they SO DEFINITELY ARE. Keep in mind they mostly hunt at night so you aren't necessarily safe after dark (until the temp drops way down)

Aside from the two rattlers on my patio yesterday I've seen a few in my front driveway and a few while hiking. ALL were rattlers because they "rattled" and I could see their tails.

BE CAREFUL. Especially for your dogs. I'd surely live if bitten but my dogs are small...

Oh, and PS: I'm not even counting the other snakes I've run across (Bull snakes, etc) because these aren't venomous. But Bull snakes look similar to rattlers but without the rattles on it's tail, and they are HUGE.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM

713 posts, read 1,845,551 times
You live in a secluded area next to lots of barren land. I live near Santa Fe High School and have lived in this part of Santa Fe most of my life and have never seen a rattlesnake. It depends on the part of town you live in.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 AM

15 posts, read 34,898 times
If you see Bull snakes, LEAVE THEM ALONE! They feed on Rattlesnakes It sounds like you may live near a den. My dog was once bitten, she lived but she was larger. Check with your local vet, they will usually give you a syringe of antivenom to keep on hand incase of a bite, that way you can treat your pups immediately. It does happen. I cant speak for the Santa Fe area (yet) but I live in the Texas panhandle, grew up in the country. I am not un acustomed to seeing a rattler or two. My sweet husband is as petrified of them as you are, so I sympathize!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times
Luckily for you these critters are gearing up for hibernation as the winter approaches. There have been many, many heated debates on this forum about snakes but one thing is for sure: they eat rodents and that is fine with me!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Here is what is happening, and it does so every year: the rattlesnakes during the evening can sense the heat being emitted from homes, and they are basically drawn to them. They like to go under cars in driveways after dusk, as well. Just last Friday, I saw one on the street, I rushed back out with my camera and my shovel (I was going to attempt to move it back into the arroyo) but it was gone. I think another motorist probably took matters into his or her own hands before I was able to. The bottom line is they are now seeking out warmth any way they can find.

Two years ago, we went out trick or treating so it was October 31, and found this critter in our driveway as we were coming back:
Considering A Relocation To The Santa Fe Area - Concerned Snakes In Santa Fe Area-picture-148.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe