Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times

Advertisements

I've seen some fat rattlers out at the camel tracks over the years. They can leap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here is what is happening, and it does so every year: the rattlesnakes during the evening can sense the heat being emitted from homes, and they are basically drawn to them. They like to go under cars in driveways after dusk, as well. Just last Friday, I saw one on the street, I rushed back out with my camera and my shovel (I was going to attempt to move it back into the arroyo) but it was gone. I think another motorist probably took matters into his or her own hands before I was able to. The bottom line is they are now seeking out warmth any way they can find.

Two years ago, we went out trick or treating so it was October 31, and found this critter in our driveway as we were coming back:
Attachment 70070
What did you do about the snake?

One thing we have in our neighborhood that is a nuissance are pole cats. They make it smell pretty torrid.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
What did you do about the snake?

One thing we have in our neighborhood that is a nuissance are pole cats. They make it smell pretty torrid.
In that particular case, nothing. We just went inside and let it go on its own. We had another one show up last summer in the backyard, and I called animal control. I saw a baby rattler about 2 months ago up against our house, and similarly did nothing. I was going to try to move the one I saw the other night, but I told that to my wife in retrospect, and she wasn't happy about my attempted decision!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
I've seen some fat rattlers out at the camel tracks over the years. They can leap!
Quote:
Reptiles question: Can rattlesnakes jump? They can strike from a short distance, about 2/3 of their total body length; but they cannot jump.
Answers.com - Can rattlesnakes jump
Quote:
Under most circumstances the effective strike range is from one third to one half the snake’s length. Rattlesnakes cannot jump, but particularly savage strikes may jerk a snake’s entire body in the general direction of the strike and leave the impression that a jump has occurred.
Rattlesnake basics

Etc....

Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM

244 posts, read 644,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordenzmama View Post
If you see Bull snakes, LEAVE THEM ALONE! They feed on Rattlesnakes It sounds like you may live near a den. My dog was once bitten, she lived but she was larger. Check with your local vet, they will usually give you a syringe of antivenom to keep on hand incase of a bite, that way you can treat your pups immediately. It does happen. I cant speak for the Santa Fe area (yet) but I live in the Texas panhandle, grew up in the country. I am not un acustomed to seeing a rattler or two. My sweet husband is as petrified of them as you are, so I sympathize!
I would never bother a Bull snake but are you sure they feed on rattlesnakes? I read that rattlesnakes have no other predator snakes. Only owls, hawks and humans are predators for rattlers.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm the original OP.

I saw ANOTHER rattler yesterday. It was just outside my front door, maybe 2-3 feet away.

WTF??? I am scared that my dogs will get bit. Not so scared for myself because I know I'd be fine after a visit to the ER.

I must live near a den. If I do live near a den, is there anything that can be done? I know hibernation time is near, but I saw a big rattler the other night when it was cold outside. And do they truly hibernate, as in hide for many months? I read that rattlers bromate (sp?) not hibernate which is a different thing.

I'm really not enjoying all these rattler citings right outside my house. Is there anything that works that I can put around my house to deter them (I heard moth balls and stuff like that is a myth?)

Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
This time of year it's also common for mice to try to find a way into your house out of the cold. Maybe the snakes have found a few tasty meals by hanging out around the perimeter of your house. Is there any food source that could be attracting mice (bags of bird seed, pet food, etc.)?

If I were you I'd try to overcome my fears by learning how to catch and bag the rattlers. Get a pair of snake tongs and learn how to do it. If you can do this it would give you a feeling of control over the situation.

Here's a video:

How to catch a rattlesnake--BBC Earth

Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This time of year it's also common for mice to try to find a way into your house out of the cold. Maybe the snakes have found a few tasty meals by hanging out around the perimeter of your house. Is there any food source that could be attracting mice (bags of bird seed, pet food, etc.)?

If I were you I'd try to overcome my fears by learning how to catch and bag the rattlers. Get a pair of snake tongs and learn how to do it. If you can do this it would give you a feeling of control over the situation.

Here's a video:

How to catch a rattlesnake--BBC Earth

Aries63,
I can't even bring myself to watch this video!!! Maybe in a few days I'll get the guts.
I am NOT afraid of spiders or bugs or most creepy crawly things. I can handle most everything in nature EXCEPT snakes. It literally gives me the willies so bad just thinking about snakes that I very near jump out of my seat. Maybe I need a shrink! I will watch the video you posted...soon....(eeek)

Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This can be dangerous advice.

Learning how to handle snakes needs to be done with a real knowledgeable human helping you out in real life. Not someone on the internet and a YouTube video.

Even the experts can get bit.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
This can be dangerous advice.

Learning how to handle snakes needs to be done with a real knowledgeable human helping you out in real life. Not someone on the internet and a YouTube video.

Even the experts can get bit.
She can get bit even while living in panic with snakes on her property and little knowledge of their behavior.

I posted the video to show that people can and do learn to do this safely, and so can the average homeowner. Irrational fear and helplessness around snakes can be converted into healthy respect and responsible action. Whether someone thinks they need "expert" training is up to them.

Here is more advice on how to remove snakes from the yard or home (from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum). No mention that expert help is required:

Guidelines for Removing a Rattlesnake from your Yard or Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe