Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 257,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Is the charcoal poultice a joke..? If not, what do you do with it? Grind it up and mix it with water..?
No way...I would never joke about something like that...at least not that part of my post, I'm sorry for giving you that impression. It's activated charcoal. It was rediscovered by the medical profession back in the '60's, but it's been around for centuries. It's used in hospitals for poisonings/drug overdose. You can more than likely find it in a health food market...probably in a powder form/capsules/tablets, or you can even order it online. It has many natural healing capabilities...the FDA says it's considered "safe and effective". Here's a couple of websites that I hope can help you with some more information.
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL POULTICE
Activated Charcoal Poultice

I think, imho, it's good to have it handy, especially if you live in places that have poisonous snakes/spiders. Hope those links help, if not let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
No way...I would never joke about something like that...at least not that part of my post, I'm sorry for giving you that impression. It's activated charcoal. It was rediscovered by the medical profession back in the '60's, but it's been around for centuries. It's used in hospitals for poisonings/drug overdose. You can more than likely find it in a health food market...probably in a powder form/capsules/tablets, or you can even order it online. It has many natural healing capabilities...the FDA says it's considered "safe and effective". Here's a couple of websites that I hope can help you with some more information.
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL POULTICE
Activated Charcoal Poultice

I think, imho, it's good to have it handy, especially if you live in places that have poisonous snakes/spiders. Hope those links help, if not let me know.
Ooook, now I remember reading about activated charcoal....it HAS been around for quite awhile. Interesting that one link you posted mentions flaxseed/flaxseed meal, which I keep in the freezer! I bet Nature's Pantry here has activated charcoal!

Thanks so much for the information; much appreciated!!

I like using natural remedies when I can!

Note to Song: Well, you had to get me started on Kombucha!!! Expensive and hard to get!! I LOVE the Gingerade flavor I tried!!!

Dang...can't wait to try the other flavors.....I LOVE the BITE...and it lasts for a few days, too!!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 PM

11 posts, read 94,120 times
Gosh, this thread gives me chills, I hate snakes and I really can't blame you guys for killing one in your house, i mean ppl kill roaches, ants, spiders etc in their houses all the time and they are all living things so i won't be a hypocrite with that. But me personally I don't think I could even try to kill it or shoo it away or take the time to figure out if it's venomous or whatever, I'd be gone so fast and wouldn't come back until animal control got rid of it.. but thats just me.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Well, that was the bottom line for me....I didn't want to try to decide whether it was venomous or not ... at the time my husband and I didn't really care...I don't want SNAKES .. any SNAKES .. in MY HOUSE where I am supposed to feel safe.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hmmm...
Not sure if I have ever encountered a post so full of infective and prejudice and name-calling and hate...

And all this is because I love my pets and want to protect them?

Some people around here truly need to lighten up ... and not just a little, but a LOT.
I think I'm going to add "snakes" to the list containing "politics" and "religion" as good subjects to never bring up if one expects a polite conversation--or a reasonable discussion.

~clairz

Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM

19 posts, read 60,092 times
Default Snakes and Scorpians vs. my dog

I love this site...such great responses!

I was reading the "insect life" thread and was wondering if any of the poisonous critters are a problem with dog owners. Our dog is extremely playful, so if something wanders into the house, he WILL check it out and probably **** it off (he's kind of like that guy you meet at parties that has good intentions but gives you a rash by being a little too friendly...people think it's cute, other animals- not so much).

Also, what about the outdoors? He's a big guy and likes to run, so we try to take him to places where we can let him off the leash. Are there any dog parks in the area, or just good places to let him run about? Ditto with the poisonous critter question.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Ortiz Dog Park. Great dog park, but it is not fenced. There are benches, waste cans, poop sacks, and water. Directions: North on St. Francis. West on Alamo. North on Crucitas at the round-about. Take next left to large parking area.

There's two other fenced areas I have seen at the entrance to the Santa Fe Animal Shelter, but they do not look very inviting. Still, they might be nice places if your dog is not the social type because I hardly ever see anyone using them.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Snakes and Scorpions

I can't speak for New Mexico, but I lived in the Las Vegas NV area for 5 years and they have both so I'm guessing the answer would be the same. I have a young black lab mix (70 pounds) who sticks her nose into anything living or dead...often to my chagrin.

We lived north of the city about 8 miles out of town and never saw a snake in our yard. We had them in the area but they stayed away from human activity for the most part. So it was never a problem with the dog.

We only saw scorpions at night outside so it wasn't an issue with her. But we were careful to not let her stick her nose into boulders and such when we went on walks (leashed). Dogs can be smart about these things, but you just have to keep an eye on any health changes.

My lab was recently bit in the posterior by a brown recluse. By the bites location I would say she either squatted over it or sat on it. She has an ugly hole the size (and depth) of a thumb near her arse. The vet said it had happened 2-3 days earlier. So my best advise is to watch for changes in your dogs behavior or skin...then go to the vet if something acts or looks "off".

Like kids, they will get into something if they can....

Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 AM

12 posts, read 44,333 times
I don't know about scorpians, but the snakes are there. I recently had a bull snake (not poisonous, but I didn't know that at the time) invite himself into my living room. I got my three dogs out of the house, called animal control, to which they responded swiftly and removed him. I now take a closer look while walking around outside. no big deal, i guess.

certainly no shortage of dog parks in Santa Fe. i don't know where it is, but apparently there's one that you can sign up to reserve for a period of time if your dog doesn't get along with others, or perhaps he's not neutered as many parks have a rule about that which will be vehemently enforced by any other crabby old new yorker transplant that happens to spot nuts on your dog! (sorry, bad experience with one of them).

in addition there are plenty of trails out where i am (eldorado) where you can just let them off leash and run ahead of you on the trail. i've found the biggest deterrent to "off leash" outside of a dog park are the low growing prickly cactus "wannabe's." there's one in particular that will gladly shed its barbs into your dog. not a huge deal, but some diligence in finding all the barbs is needed as i've found it's pretty uncomfortable for the dog.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
I would imagine that like humans, some dogs can be more allergic to bites from various crawley critters or even stings from flying ones. I would not ignore any symptoms or abnormal behavior.
I don't know if you have skunks in your area but a couple weeks ago my lab mix was investigating what I thought was a cat under some bushes. It was dark out and by the time I realized what it was the dog was pulling on the leash trying to get to it. She was pretty close to the skunk before I pulled her back. I'm very surprised we didn't get sprayed. Now I don't let her get close to anything that I don't know what it is. She doesn't go after anything to hurt it, she just likes to check things out.
Curiousity almost made me and the dog very stinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe