Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 AM

1,566 posts, read 3,280,456 times

Advertisements

I like to think of the one on St. Francis as "Half Foods". Because smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 AM

380 posts, read 651,466 times
I always figured the one on St. Francis opened to put the screws to Trader Joe's.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,447,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I always figured the one on St. Francis opened to put the screws to Trader Joe's.
I'm pretty sure the Wild Oats was there before Trader Joe's. Wild Oats had stores in New Mexico long before TJ moved into the state.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,668,606 times
Best answer I've seen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiletOFish View Post
Sorry for the thread bump but this one comes up again and again. The Cerillos store exceeded expectations so much with all the business it got that when Whole Foods bought Wild Oats they saw an opportunity to offer a relief valve for customers tired of dealing with the parking and crowds at Cerillos. So instead of closing it like so many other Wild Oats stores, they kept it open and ultimately branded the store as a Whole Foods.

Wild Oats shoppers shouldn't give up all hope though: the Wild Oats label was sold to an operator in California and many of the Wild Oats brand items like olive oil are back on shelves at stores including Walmart. Rumor has it that billionaire Ron Burkle who bought the failed west coast Fresh and Easy chain from Tescos is thinking of opening them under the Wild Oats name. If that happens and the stores do well maybe Wild Oats will come back to SF!

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,157,467 times
Just saw in the New Mexican that the Whole Foods on St Francis is going to close in April.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,668,606 times
From: https://www.abqjournal.com/946595/wh...fe-stores.html
Quote:
SANTA FE — The Whole Foods Market on St. Francis Drive in Santa Fe is one of nine stores the company will be closing across the country as the natural food grocer scales back on expansion plans.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 9,305 times
BUM-MER!

I wonder which retailer will want to take over that space. Every single gourmet grocer is already represented in Santa Fe afaik and they each seem to have adequate space.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,305 times
My first idea of what that space should be transformed into is an indoor non-chain food court. Santa Fe's version of Reading Terminal Market or Singapore's hawker centers.

Whole Foods may view it as competition for their own store but perhaps a partnership/supplier relationship could be experimented with.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:29 PM

102,161 posts, read 107,543,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
The one on St. Francis Dr. used to be Wild Oats Market until Whole Foods bought them out.
This. At the time W Foods considered closing a few of the Wild Oats stores they'd acquired, but decided to keep them. Then, after that, business really picked up at the little store. Seems strange, I know, but it did. There are a lot of people who live within walking distance of the smaller store, and in the neighborhood to the south, so they use the small store, because it's closest to them.

However, I couldn't help notice that many of the cashiers at that store didn't seem to like their jobs. Many of them look like they wish they didn't have to come in to work everyday. It's a completely different atmosphere than at the big store, where cashiers are cheery and friendly. One of the guys was downright creepy, trying to hustle the women customers. The management at the smaller store seems to be left over from Wild Oats days, or something, and isn't with the WF program of creating an inviting atmosphere.

I think WFoods should move to the empty grocery store space on Zia, where Zia and Rodeo fork, at that little commercial center. There are many south side residents that would love a WF in their nabe.

But the company says they'll relocate some of the employees to neighboring states. Or will offer them jobs in neighboring states, but the employees have to pay their own relo expenses.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:32 PM

102,161 posts, read 107,543,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacarthur View Post
BUM-MER!

I wonder which retailer will want to take over that space. Every single gourmet grocer is already represented in Santa Fe afaik and they each seem to have adequate space.
This is what I'm curious to see, too. It would be nice to see something new there; some new grocer we don't have yet. Or like another poster said, maybe Wild Oats would return to the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe