Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 AM

208 posts, read 256,742 times

Advertisements

I'm anticipating a move to Santa Fe in the next year and have read the dozens of threads pertaining to this. Good info but something is still lacking for me--the visual picture of what typical everyday life is like, from the perspective of a middle class Santa Fean who has to work. Ideally this would be someone in my same age range (mid 50's) and possibly a single female, definitely someone who isn't a rich retiree living in a million dollar house and eating out at restaurants every night. Please give me a detailed/chronological account of what time you get up in the morning, what your commute is like, where you work, what you do after work, what you do on weekends, where you grocery shop or go to church, etc. I'm a visualizer and just would like to read a little account of an average Santa Fean's daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM

293 posts, read 968,791 times
Well... I'm in my mid 30s, not mid 50s, but perhaps a general view of a typical day for me or my friends of all ages would help?

Unless you live super far out of town, your commute won't be longer than 15-20 minutes. There's very little traffic compared to most major cities. Offices open between 8 and 9. It's not an especially early town.

After work, grocery shopping at Trader Joes or Sunflower Market, or maybe running errands. Trader Joes is pretty busy in the afternoons and the parking lot is poorly laid out, so I try to avoid the afternoons when possible. Then it's home to make dinner and chill out. There seems to be a fairly active group of singles who meet up for dinner at people's houses.

Weekends are home improvement projects, hiking, or (for me) activities for my children. There are several local bars and coffee shops that attract a nice weekend crowd, and many many many local festivals downtown during nicer weather.

Good luck with your planned move!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 AM

208 posts, read 256,742 times
Thanks for the info, Cynanthus! I'm not sure if you relocated or if you were raised in NM (that might have a bearing on this question), but I was wondering if you ever feel a lack of options. For example: shopping options, dentists, newspapers, places to visit, etc.? Is there a sense of safety and community? Do you hike nearby or is it usually a drive?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM

713 posts, read 1,841,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanthus View Post
Well... I'm in my mid 30s, not mid 50s, but perhaps a general view of a typical day for me or my friends of all ages would help?

Unless you live super far out of town, your commute won't be longer than 15-20 minutes. There's very little traffic compared to most major cities. Offices open between 8 and 9. It's not an especially early town.

After work, grocery shopping at Trader Joes or Sunflower Market, or maybe running errands. Trader Joes is pretty busy in the afternoons and the parking lot is poorly laid out, so I try to avoid the afternoons when possible. Then it's home to make dinner and chill out. There seems to be a fairly active group of singles who meet up for dinner at people's houses.

Weekends are home improvement projects, hiking, or (for me) activities for my children. There are several local bars and coffee shops that attract a nice weekend crowd, and many many many local festivals downtown during nicer weather.

Good luck with your planned move!
People are so diverse and there are so many things to do that this is nothing what a day for me would be like. Come visit and see for yourself.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM

974 posts, read 2,336,701 times
Daisy2010 - You can live anyway you choose to. If you can visualize the "middle-class" lifestyle you would like to live, you can live it here. I imagine you're not looking to lead the life any of us have chosen for ourselves, so perhaps you're looking for something specific that you've not yet defined - either to us, or yourself? But, in any case, I think you'll find every-day life here to be not much different than in any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe