Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,637,281 times

Advertisements

Local news in brief, April 3, 2012 - The Santa Fe New Mexican
Readers rate Santa Fe among greenest cities

Santa Fe placed 10th in Travel and Leisure's ranking of America's greenest cities. The city was behind Portland, Ore., Denver, Seattle and San Francisco, but ahead of Honolulu, Charleston, N.C., and Austin, Texas. The magazine said, "There's not much that feels mass-produced (or dangerous, for that matter) in this southwestern city." The locals were described as being both "quirky" and "diverse." Readers ranked Santa Fe first for cultural vibes, indie boutiques, peace and quiet, and applauded the LEED-certified convention center that the magazine said was "built, in large part, using recycled materials from the old building."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,397,785 times
Seems like another goofy survey and like always, makes me wonder what they asked and who responded. The recycling program although better than nothing, wouldn't qualify. Most people on my street recycle nothing (no blue bins set out on garabage day) and the city makes cardboard, paper, and yard waste so difficult to recycle that I gave up trying. If you don't fold your cardboard into 3'x3' and tie with twine they won't take it and I don't remember the rules of what type they will take and won't take. If you have a truck you can take yard waste to the site but I understand you have to pay (not positive but I don't have a truck so it doesn't matter.) I'm glad I can at least recycle glass and plastic as long as I separate them into different bins. I was spoiled in WA where there was one bin for yard waste and another for everything else including paper. I'm guessing it's 'green' because we have clean air due to lack of industry and SF is in a beautiful setting.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,637,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Santa Fe placed 10th in Travel and Leisure's ranking of America's greenest cities.
Here is the original article which I probably neglected to post: America's Greenest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 12,694 times
Thumbs up Advice welcomed!!!

I have found a large condo complex in Santa Fe... just 7 miles from Plaza. NOW the hard part.... selling house, packing up, AND, of course, figuring out the banking situation and was advised to go through Legacy (credit union, I think). I will be checking out condo(s) and Sante Fe before making an offer and moving there. Reason for this post is to find out as much as I can about Santa Fe.... such as I have no family or friends there.... I've been single and living independently for a looonnngggg time; hoping that the socialization in this large condo complex will be friendly.... neighborly? do you think? How do you feel about living right downtown close to Plaza (prices are high) versus living about 10 min away from Plaza in a commercial settiing. I'm from Madison, Wisconsin and am tired of dealing with college student stuff/antics/and all the special interest groups that it seems one must belong to if you are to make friends. I'm retired, due to disability, and am very interested in belonging to the Multiple Chemical Sensitivities group, which, I think, is in Alburque (pardon misspelling). I find that one has to be so very careful to NOT let too much be known if you have a disability or you get slapped or slammed and/or looked at suspiciously.... like can SHE afford to live here? or buy here?

Pardon my ramble, I'm just looking for whatever thoughts or situations that people have found themselves in, and esp. if they were going it alone. Just how friendly is Santa Fe for a single woman and do you think that I will have trouble finding helpl in getting settled?

I truly appreciate preservation and Santa Fe certainly seems to capture the beauty of the culture. Thanks!!!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,734,466 times
I've been around SF for 35 years, living outside of SF. Santafeans are very friendly, helpful, accepting in many ways. There is a doctor in SF who was affected by chemical sensitivity who I believe became a national leader, so check that out. You should be able to find that group in SF.

When I come into town, I absolutely love being right downtown near the plaza. I'm a walker & that's a walker's dream.

Have a great move.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,397,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultrysol View Post
I have found a large condo complex in Santa Fe... just 7 miles from Plaza. NOW the hard part.... selling house, packing up, AND, of course, figuring out the banking situation and was advised to go through Legacy (credit union, I think). I will be checking out condo(s) and Sante Fe before making an offer and moving there. Reason for this post is to find out as much as I can about Santa Fe.... such as I have no family or friends there.... I've been single and living independently for a looonnngggg time; hoping that the socialization in this large condo complex will be friendly.... neighborly? do you think? How do you feel about living right downtown close to Plaza (prices are high) versus living about 10 min away from Plaza in a commercial settiing. I'm from Madison, Wisconsin and am tired of dealing with college student stuff/antics/and all the special interest groups that it seems one must belong to if you are to make friends. I'm retired, due to disability, and am very interested in belonging to the Multiple Chemical Sensitivities group, which, I think, is in Alburque (pardon misspelling). I find that one has to be so very careful to NOT let too much be known if you have a disability or you get slapped or slammed and/or looked at suspiciously.... like can SHE afford to live here? or buy here?

Pardon my ramble, I'm just looking for whatever thoughts or situations that people have found themselves in, and esp. if they were going it alone. Just how friendly is Santa Fe for a single woman and do you think that I will have trouble finding helpl in getting settled?

I truly appreciate preservation and Santa Fe certainly seems to capture the beauty of the culture. Thanks!!!!!
It depends on the location and how close you mean--south capitol seems like a nice area. As an older single woman I wouldn't want to live too near the plaza--too many street people and tourists.

There are many activities for single people and lots of volunteer jobs as a way to meet more people. This weekend I'm going with the Santa Fe Singles to a Petroglyph park. They meet every Friday night at a local bar/restaurant. I live in the Southside and my neighbors are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe