Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,354 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this site. I am considering moving to Santa Fe within the next year. I'm a 31 year old hairstylist and makeup artist looking for a fresh start. I like a fairly vibrant city, but I've outgrown the clubbing scene. I like to listen to live music, walk, hike, and take pictures. And I definitely need to be in a city that's culturally diverse. I'm currently living near Portland, Oregon. While I do like the city, and all it has to offer, I find the people to be closed off, a bit cold, and somewhat affected. I'm not that way, so it kind of bums me out. I'm looking for a city that has a lot to offer in the way of art, music, food, and of course jobs in the beauty/spa industry. I'm planning to take a trip out there in the Fall, but I'd like to get an idea of whether it's somewhere I might enjoy living. Thanks for any and all info. I'm off to work so I'll likely not respond for the next several hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM

55 posts, read 104,725 times
There is not a bevy of live music, but some. Hiking is excellent-uncrowded for the most part. New Mexico offers great opportunities for photography, as our landscape and lighting are most conducive to it. Some people find the community and locals closed off, others don't. Santa Fe itself does not have many younger people IMO compared to other locales. It seems to be a place people come to get hitched or retire, in other words it's full of those who are soon to be wed or soon to be dead.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM

195 posts, read 419,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGuppy View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site. I am considering moving to Santa Fe within the next year. I'm a 31 year old hairstylist and makeup artist looking for a fresh start. I like a fairly vibrant city, but I've outgrown the clubbing scene. I like to listen to live music, walk, hike, and take pictures. And I definitely need to be in a city that's culturally diverse. I'm currently living near Portland, Oregon. While I do like the city, and all it has to offer, I find the people to be closed off, a bit cold, and somewhat affected. I'm not that way, so it kind of bums me out. I'm looking for a city that has a lot to offer in the way of art, music, food, and of course jobs in the beauty/spa industry. I'm planning to take a trip out there in the Fall, but I'd like to get an idea of whether it's somewhere I might enjoy living. Thanks for any and all info. I'm off to work so I'll likely not respond for the next several hours.
Santa Fe has live music, I can guarantee that. Matter of fact, Mondays-Thursdays in July and August there will be live music at the plaza. This would be my first summer in Santa Fe and I do plan on going just to check it out. I know someone who is in a band and his band plays different restaurants every weekend. (also never been to any of his stuff yet, mostly because he plays too late for me..after 9 =/ ) There are places you can hike and walk the city. I see people walking all the time.

My perspective, Santa Fe is culturally diverse in the fact that before I moved to NM I was not exposed to cultures different from "southern" or "midwestern" culture. You are exposed to hispanic, native american, and yes even the "southern" culture. This is also the most culturally diverse place I have ever lived in, meaning I see more interracial couples, and more people hanging out with people who are not of their own ethnicity. I love that fact about Santa Fe. And I used to live 60 miles from Kansas City, Missouri, which claims to be "diverse" but really isn't.

As far as the people here, people here are polite. I wouldn't say overly friendly, as in the midwest, but polite is good. Customer service is hit and miss here, but that happens everywhere. However, (only speaking for me, and no one else) there seems to be an "insider/outsider" mentality, so I don't feel completely at home here at times, but I live by the motto bloom where you're planted and make the best of the situation...or move. I've chosen to make the best of it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM

888 posts, read 1,183,932 times
Gillian Welch and Steve Earle will be playing here in Santa Fe, so it's hardly amateur hour musically speaking.
My daughter, when she visited here in May, played open mics in Madrid and all around Santa Fe.
She and her guitar playing boyfriend (both early 20's) has a GREAT time!!
You usually can find decent live music in Santa Fe, at least on weekends most of the time.

Hiking is usually terrific around this area!
I like to hike with my dogs and the nearby Pecos Wilderness Area is great for them.
Lots of shade and water (Pecos River) to keep them cool and happy (me too)!

There is NO lack of decent restaurants in Santa Fe.
Especially if you favor New Mexican/Mexican food!
You can also get decent burgers and Chinese food around town too!
Most of the downtown restaurants are pretty ($$$$) pricey, but other areas are usually more reasonably ($$) priced.

I generally get along well with the long-time local Anglo and Hispanic populations.
SOME of the monied transplants have attitude problems, but for the most part, people are friendly and considerate.

Steve

Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Great post, Gearhound. I agree with all of it!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,354 times
Thanks, everyone. I'm really excited to start planning a trip out there. Does anyone have suggestions on areas to live? I don't make a ton of money, and I'll likely be trying to rent a house because I have dogs who need a yard. I want to check out specific areas where I might find something suitable. Also, I know I mentioned it in my first op,,but is the salon/barbershop industry doing okay there?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM

974 posts, read 2,336,457 times
Speedguppy - As I just wrote to another poster, it's really best if you scope out the town before narrowing down your choice of neighborhoods in which to live. We have many nice areas to choose from. Generally speaking, the southwest part of town will have lower rents per square foot - but where to live should take other things into account such as commuting distance/time, lifestyle, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe