U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM

44 posts, read 48,268 times
Exclamation Best Cell Phone Provider/Coverage in Santa Fe (for iPhone/Smartphone)

Hi everyone,

As I continue planning my move to Santa Fe, it occurred to me today that I might not want to stay with my current cell phone provider, AT&T, depending on how their coverage is in Santa Fe and especially because I am due for an upgrade and am no longer under contract. I recently traveled to Los Angeles and AT&T reception was just dreadful there--it seems that Verizon is the "go-to" provider for most, if not all of California, and here in Chicago, where I currently reside, I would also say that the AT&T service I receive is less than desirable and many people are switching to Verizon. I've been with AT&T for over 13+ years now, but it might be time for a change depending on the feedback I receive here.

I have an older iPhone (3GS) and was going to upgrade to the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5 in a few days on AT&T, but then talked to my sister who reminded me that I am not under contract and might want to reconsider my provider because of the impending move to Santa Fe. Looking at some websites, including "cellreception.com", it seems that the best coverage is Nextel, then T-Mobile, then Sprint, then Verizon, and finally, the worst coverage is apparently AT&T. Many reviews/comments are over 5+ years old so I am hoping to get some updated information on CURRENT service and reception, particularly on AT&T and Verizon as the latter has a good reputation in Chicago and I will still be here for the next five months. I am hoping that Verizon's service has improved in Santa Fe but just to be safe, that's why I am here posting.

So, if you live in SF and would be so kind, which provider do you have and how is the reception? Do you or do any Santa Feans you know have an iPhone? What are your/their experiences with the different providers (specifically Verizon or AT&T) on their iPhone or on other smartphones? I realize Santa Fe is not some fast-paced, huge urban community (mostly the reason WHY I am moving to SF--I've visited over 15 times and have fallen in love with everything about the city and New Mexico in general, particularly the nature and the "live and let live" attitude.) I'm not the type of person who has my phone attached to me at all times and realize that in the mountains, service will be shoddy no matter which provider I have, but it would be nice to be able to make phone calls on my iPhone and not have them constantly getting dropped, especially while I'm in town as I plan on living in the city.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I am so grateful for this Santa Fe forum on City-Data, especially the users who continually go out of their way to help people that they don't even know for the simple reason that they care about others and they care about their city. I can't wait to be a resident of Santa Fe. You all have no idea how much you are helping me during this sometimes stressful and complicated process of preparing to move.

PS: I searched back in the forums and besides a relatively recent thread related to cell phone coverage in Hyde Park, hadn't found a post in the last year specifically concerning cell phone providers/coverage (AT&T and Verizon) in Santa Fe and considering these companies are always building new towers and service is always changing, I thought it would be a good idea to inquire with residents' and visitors' current experiences with their cell phone coverage/reception, especially if they have an iPhone or a different smartphone. Thanks again to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM

732 posts, read 745,733 times
I have had good luck with Verizon in the Santa Fe area. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM

30 posts, read 42,684 times
Agreed Verizon is the way to go!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

16,917 posts, read 17,325,131 times
Threads:
Santa Fe Area Cell Phone Providers

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

September 2014 "Theme" Contest
September 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

----------

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-27-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Sounds like Verizon is the way to go. Thanks beezle1 and Jon2607! I'd still definitely like to hear from other people so please share your experiences if you are willing!

Poncho_NM, thanks for linking me to those threads but I had read them last night and they are each about 2-3 years old. As I stated in my posting, I am looking for a more current representation of cell phone coverage/reception in Santa Fe (and as I am learning from these two users, Verizon has become MUCH better than it was 2+ years ago) since new cell phone towers are always being built or existing ones are bought out and coverage is ever-changing. Hopefully, this posting will keep us going another year or two so people don't have to post the same threads.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM

731 posts, read 1,021,802 times
I and most of the people I know have Verizon. Can't beat their service here in Santa Fe.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,957 times
Dayvantravels: Your story is exactly mine..I am ATT for 13 yrs also and 3G 4 yrs; visited SF in early May and no problem. Radio Shack person told me Verison has more towers and coverage; she hears complaints from both sides; prefer ATT becaus don't want to change email/phone/TV service. Looking for price input also.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: In the country southeast of Santa Fe, but only 20 minutes to the historic Plaza.
614 posts, read 804,646 times
I depend on good cell service for my business, and Verizon is what I've chosen. Their 3G service for my ipad and phone works great, but I'm not sure any more than that (like 4G) would make a difference as, last time I checked, there weren't many/any areas with that speed yet. That doesn't mean I won't spring for a new iphone 5 soon!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 AM

Looks like I'll be saying bye-bye to AT&T and "Hello!" to Verizon. Thanks all for the valuable feedback. It seems Verizon works better everywhere. Please stop me from getting the iPhone 5. I almost don't want to have a smartphone in SF. I almost don't want to have a phone in SF. But alas...I have some friends I'd like to stay in contact with via phone.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM

731 posts, read 1,021,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I depend on good cell service for my business, and Verizon is what I've chosen. Their 3G service for my ipad and phone works great, but I'm not sure any more than that (like 4G) would make a difference as, last time I checked, there weren't many/any areas with that speed yet. That doesn't mean I won't spring for a new iphone 5 soon!
Verizon 4G in Santa Fe and ABQ. It is much faster than 3G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe