Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM

115 posts, read 228,597 times

Advertisements

My husband is headed to Santa Fe today for a job interview and will be there for a couple days. This will be his first time there and he wants to get a feel for the place as a potential home as well as the more touristy stuff. Since his time is limited, we were hoping to get recommendations on must see stuff and also what to check out as a potential place to live (neighborhoods, etc.).

This would be a major relocation for us as we currently live in northern California. He also has a potential job offer here (waiting to hear still) but we are not opposed to moving out of the area for a great opportunity. Which actually brings me to another question: what would you consider a minimum salary (hourly or yearly) that would be acceptable for a decent living in Santa Fe (we are currently a one income family)? We are renters and buying isn't really an option for well into the future.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM

195 posts, read 420,758 times
First I would say come visit to get a feel for this place, which your husband is doing. Its a very different place and you would have to visit to see if you could adjust to it. (somedays I can, somedays I can't, and somedays I won't...lol)

As far as how much you need to be making, at risk of getting bashed for saying this, its not cheap here. I am even looking for a second, and possibly third job, because its just too hard making a living here. It may be cheaper coming from California, but I came from midwest USA where it was a lot cheaper there. I rent a place and its not cheap.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, Disco Inferno!

Unfortunately we aren't in a position for me to come as well to check it out...long story short - husband got laid off, needs to find a job asap and the place he is interviewing in Santa Fe was interested in him enough to fly him out. Fortunately we just found out this evening that he was also offered a job here in Santa Rosa, so at this point we're looking at which would be better in terms of his career and whether we ultimately think it's worth it to relocate (all of our family and friends are in CA).

The job he is being offered I believe starts around $32/hr but based on my husband's experience he would probably be getting closer to $36/hr, full time with benefits. He was making more than that here in CA, but the cost of living is significantly higher I think. Even so, we couldn't even think about buying in our area, and are pretty much stuck renting until I return to work in a few years (I'm a stay at home mom for now). Right now we pay $1425/mo. for a 2 bedroom duplex, and based on the brief perusals of Craigslist I think we could probably get something pretty decent for a similar price in Santa Fe. I guess we just need to figure out whether the move would make economic sense, and also whether we're up for starting from scratch again in a new area. We've only been where we are now for 3 years and it's taken that long for me to start feeling like I actually belong here.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
Move to Santa Fe. Lived in Northern CA. Santa Fe is not cheap but cheaper than CA by far. I own a cattle ranch but visit Santa Fe every year. I sometimes think I'd selll this place and live right out of the historic district and walk everywhere. There is a lot to do in Santa Fe.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 AM

49 posts, read 106,048 times
Same scenario with my wife.
She was laid off from her job, flown out for an interview in Santa Fe, and hired on the spot.
We've found that Santa Fe costs are roughly on par with most Eastern urban areas.
Just like downtown NY and LA are super expensive, so is downtown Santa Fe.
With some exceptions, the outlying areas in Santa Fe, are generally cheaper.
We're paying a little under $1500 a month mortgage, for a 1475 sq. foot 3 bedroom/2 bath house with a fenced 1 1/2 acre lot in Eldorado, about 10 miles SE of Santa Fe.
My wife's commute to work in Southern Santa Fe is under 15 minutes.
LOTS to do here in Santa Fe, especially if you like outdoor activities.
BUT.....at 7,000 feet in altitude, you need to get yourself used to the thin air first!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I was doing more researching on living in NM and what seems to come up a lot aside from the natural beauty, good food, and laidback lifestyle is the poverty, crime and corruption, as well as a lack of opportunities for young people. This is something that concerns me as I have a 17 month old son, and I'd like him to grow up in an enriched environment with plenty of opportunities, which is something both my husband and I had growing up in California. We love the abundance of family oriented activities in our area, as well as access to world class museums and other institutions of education and learning. Something that is also important to us is how dedicated the people in our area are to progressive values of social justice, preserving the environment, and developing a strong local economy. We have a strong focus on sustainable agriculture and the slow food movement is huge here. These are all values that we would like wherever we live to represent strongly. I have heard that Santa Fe is progressive and all that, but I guess what I'm wondering is if it is an ideal place to raise a family.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
With all of your friends & family in your area of California & all the other interests there that you mentioned, sounds like you are answering your own question.

With $36/hr- would that be around $70K year? That's fine for Santa Fe, in my humble opinion.

I would certainly not say that Santa Fe has an over-abundance of family-oriented activities. And although there are environmental preservation movements in northern NM, one of the things that bothers me is all the visible trash. There are certainly plenty of museums and the arts in SF.

Hurray that you are able to stay home with your baby!

Good luck with your decision. Let us know....!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
Your kids will find all that they need in Albuquerque an hour away. I love Santa Fe personally and even spend a few weeks each year in Chama, NM at 8500 feet so the 7000 wouldn't phase me. Actually, I feel healthier at higher altitudes.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM

Just an update....husband also got offered the job in Santa Fe, however he decided the one in Santa Rosa would be better career-wise. We were also not too keen on moving so far from family and friends, and we love where we live.

Thanks everyone for the input and I do look forward to actually visiting Santa Fe in the future!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
Congrats on getting a better job in Santa Rosa- sounded like that was the place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe