Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 11,471 times

Advertisements

*This is also posted in Phoenix, AZ*

Hi, I have lived in Surprise, AZ for a year now. It isn't working out for us. It is too far away from Phoenix and there are days where you can smell pollution in the air (ozone, I think). My daughter has sensitive lungs and gets coughs that are hard to get rid of when there is a lot of particulate in the air.

Soooooo, we are thinking of moving to far east Phoenix, like Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, or Mesa. For air quality purposes though, we are also considering moving to Tucson, Prescott, or even Santa Fe, NM. I have looked into these areas a little. Enough to know that they have better air quality than where I live (some more than others) and that they all have rock climbing, but I can't decide where I would be happiest.

These are the things that I like in a city in general (not necessarily in order):
- Outdoor rock climbing nearby(the more variety, the better)
- Clean air (I don't want to be able to smell pollution in the air on ANY given day)
- Fun things to do for kids (amusement parks, water parks, etc. are a plus)
- Rock climbing gym
- Health food stores (kids also have food sensitivities, so it's a must to have alternatives available): Sprouts, Trader Joe's, etc.

Other notes:
I tend to like warmer climates and larger cities as a general rule, but I have lived in Prescott a while back when I was a teenager and survived alright. Also when I was younger, I lived actually in Phoenix for a little while (before I had kids) and can say that I do love it, but I'm concerned about the air quality for my daughter's sake. It is supposed to be better, I just don't know if it's enough for her to be okay without moving there and seeing how she does. Oh, and I am graduating in June and will be a high school math teacher.

If you can comment in any of the above areas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Last edited by Heather again; 01-17-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM

293 posts, read 971,192 times
Heather - I always want to convince people to move to Santa Fe because I think it's a fantastic place to live... but judging from your list, Santa Fe is probably not the place for you. Here's why:

These are the things that I like in a city in general (not necessarily in order):
- Outdoor rock climbing nearby(the more variety, the better)

I'm sure we have rock climbing here, but I've never met anyone who does it. I know TONS of people who hike, mountain bike, and ski... but not a single one who rock climbs.

- Clean air (I don't want to be able to smell pollution in the air on ANY given day)

Ok - we have clean air. Fantastic clean air. You'd like that part.

- Fun things to do for kids (amusement parks, water parks, etc. are a plus)

Santa Fe is SMALL city. 60,000 people. And that's not 60,000 people right up against a city of 2 million. It's 60,000 people surrounded by high desert and mountains. There are very very few typical fun things to do for kids... no amusement park, no water park. We have one outdoor public pool, one roller skating rink that's open two days a week, one childrens museum appropriate for ages 7 and under, several dance and gymnastics places to take lessons, several public parks -- but they don't compare to ones in larger cities, and tons of outdoor space.

- Rock climbing gym

Nope.

- Health food stores (kids also have food sensitivities, so it's a must to have alternatives available): Sprouts, Trader Joe's, etc.

This we have. Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Food, Vitamin Cottage, a food Co-op, etc.

And as for the "warmer climate" you're seeking... it's not here. Santa Fe averages similar temperatures as Buffalo, NY. We have tons more sun and far less snow, but we're a four season place here. Highs are in the 80s in the summer and lows are in the teens in the winter. Last week it was negative 5 when I drove my kids to school. C.O.L.D.!!!

Last edited by cynanthus; 01-18-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
There is indoor (as well as outdoor) rock climbing at the Santa Fe Climbing Center:

Home « Santa Fe Climbing Center

But we can't give you that warmer climate!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,844 times
Also note that Santa Fe is about 7000 feet altitude with much thinner air, so if breathing is a problem for your child this might be considered.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,261 times
Heather - You might want to check out Albuquerque for that big city vibe and for the kids activities. A little ways out of that city and you can hike, rock-climb, etc. The temps in Abq. are at least ten degrees warmer year-round compared to Santa Fe, and it's about 2,000 feet lower in altitude.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM

I can't thank you guys enough for the replies!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Actually, I do have one more question for you all. How would you describe the people in Santa Fe?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,261 times
For the most part the folks here are very friendly, open to different lifestyles and very diverse in all sorts of ways. Politically it's pretty liberal, as is Albuquerque. Think 180 degrees from Phoenix.
As anywhere people tend to mirror the image they get from those in front of them. Showing an open, honest and respectful attitude will get you that behavior in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe