Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM

27 posts, read 52,939 times

Advertisements

Appreciate all the thoughts on my various questions -- now we're on to the fun stuff:

I'm looking for recommendations for a landscaper or even do -it - yourself, what grows in NM tips. Small yard with hill -- I am not ambitious. Just want a few bushes, a few plants, something to help hold the hill on ... the hill. There's an older diversion ditch I'll want to replenish -- I guess that's some rocks and a guy? or a gal?
Do people plant pinion? cedar? camisa -- or is that just viewed as a weed?

Links to pretty pictures appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenskar1 View Post
Appreciate all the thoughts on my various questions -- now we're on to the fun stuff:

I'm looking for recommendations for a landscaper or even do -it - yourself, what grows in NM tips. Small yard with hill -- I am not ambitious. Just want a few bushes, a few plants, something to help hold the hill on ... the hill. There's an older diversion ditch I'll want to replenish -- I guess that's some rocks and a guy? or a gal?
Do people plant pinion? cedar? camisa -- or is that just viewed as a weed?

Links to pretty pictures appreciated.
What grows in NM? You really need to look at what works in Santa Fe. I have been converting my lush green grass yard in Rio Rancho to rocks and sand, Desert Willow, Yucca, etc (xeriscape). These references might help:
Santa Fe Master Gardener Association
Xeriscaping in Santa Fe « McCumber Fine Gardens
The Xeric Gardener
Low Water Plants, Eco Friendly Landscapes: High Country Gardens

Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Russian Sage and Butterfly Bush do great in my yard Rancho Viejo and they are very pretty when in bloom. We do have them on drip irrigation, but I think once they are established they probably would not need it.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Poncho_NM gives some great references. You really do have to select plants on the basis of what grows well here in Santa Fe, as it is different than what grows well in, say, Albuquerque. The only additional suggestion is to contact some local landscapers (McCumber, who Poncho_NM mentioned is very good - but expensive; there are other good, knowledgeable folks) as they will have direct experience on the plants that thrive in our environment. Don't shop by the catalogues flooding our mailboxes - get your plants locally, and not from a big-box store…..imho.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM

Thank you for the links Poncho -- I had found most of those and had heard McCumber could be expensive. But you've definitely got my drift -- I would never plant a lawn, seems counter intruitive to Santa Fe. I really am thinking something that almost looks wild with a few boulders here and there, but I do need to hold the hill in place on ... the hill.

Beezle, nice to know both Russian Sage and Butterfly Bushes do well -- I've had both in my backyard in NJ, but the BB do attract a good share of bees. How does tam juniper do? I'm really thinking something low and evergreen for some of it.

Won't be going with catalogues or the big box stores -- I do shop White Flower Farms catalogue for my home in NJ but those are high maintenance plants Not suited to the desert.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 PM

There are a lot of sages, but Russian Sage, grows well! One of the few things my wife can grow well! Can't find my pictures.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
High Country Gardens (mail/online order) is based in Santa Fe or Albuquerque. They used to have Santa Fe Greenhouses in Santa Fe, but they went under late last year I believe. They specialize in xeriscape type plants, grown locally if I recall. They have a nice catalog with lots of photos and ideas.

Low Water Plants, Eco Friendly Landscapes: High Country Gardens

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM

If you are in the area, you can buy their items at the store:
Plants of the Southwest
6680 4th St NW, Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM
(505) 344-8830
plantsofthesouthwest.com
Google Maps

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Thank you both -- great pictures!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Did you find someone? I'm a DIY'er --love growing things and experimenting.

I miss SF Greenhouse--loved walking around looking at all the perennials and trees. In addition to Plants of the Southwest I like Agua Fria Nursery and Payne's. There are many plants that do fine here. Just a few--penstemon, perennial sunflowers, all kinds of grasses that are drought tolerant, hollyhocks. Check out the garden tours through the Botanical garden for ideas. I also love ABQ zoo's landscaping and garden structures. There are many choices in shrubs--NM Privet, Mt. Mahogany are two I like. Here's a picture of the penstemon growing outside my wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Now the fun stuff, landscaping recommendations-penstemon.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe