Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM

55 posts, read 105,011 times

Advertisements

Just stay off the major arteries, Cerrillos and St. Francis, and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 PM

17 posts, read 54,005 times
Santa Fe likes to give the impression of bike & friendliness. But remember, this is a city of walls, very tall walls and very narrow, haphazard streets. You zip past the wrong driveway and you are toast as the walls are so tall you can't see the driver and they can't see you. On some streets a few inches is all that is between you and a wall on one side and careening cars on the other side. There is a pretty sophisticated trail system, that is true and great if you are not going anywhere in particular with no destination in mind. However if you are walking or riding to do your daily business... well, good luck on that!

Also, I dare you to try to cross Cerrillos or St. Francis. C'mon, I just dare you! People here LOVE to run red lights. The red light is only red after it's been red for about five seconds. Finally, this is a place with a huge drug and alcohol problem.

I walk, but I am scared every time I have to cross St. Francis and won't let my children ride their bikes on the streets at all.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 PM

55 posts, read 105,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_gal View Post
Santa Fe likes to give the impression of bike & friendliness. But remember, this is a city of walls, very tall walls and very narrow, haphazard streets. You zip past the wrong driveway and you are toast as the walls are so tall you can't see the driver and they can't see you. On some streets a few inches is all that is between you and a wall on one side and careening cars on the other side. There is a pretty sophisticated trail system, that is true and great if you are not going anywhere in particular with no destination in mind. However if you are walking or riding to do your daily business... well, good luck on that!

Also, I dare you to try to cross Cerrillos or St. Francis. C'mon, I just dare you! People here LOVE to run red lights. The red light is only red after it's been red for about five seconds. Finally, this is a place with a huge drug and alcohol problem.

I walk, but I am scared every time I have to cross St. Francis and won't let my children ride their bikes on the streets at all.
Although St. Francis and Cerrillos are busy, they are not any more dangerous than busy arteries in other cities. I cross these streets regularly with no problem. Stay on the bike paths, watch traffic and you are fine. Children should not be riding on busy streets in any city.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
I have always just walked around Santa Fe without much though. Yes the main street into the city is busy but waling anywhere near the plaza or the artist area didn't seem much of a problem. I live on a ranch without much traffic so I think I would notice. (maybe I am having such a good time I am not looking)

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
As a pedestrian the worst spot when I walk around the downtown area at lunch is Montezuma and Guadalupe. Today, even though I was in the crosswalk, I had a guy speed thru so he didn't have to wait to turn right from Montezuma onto Guadalupe and the next lady was heading at me (and two older women) so I put my hand up "STOP" and gave her a fierce look. I'm sick of feeling like they're going to run me over--they just can't wait at that intersection. They start coming before you're off the road. Pretty scary having a car come at you.

I wish an undercover cop would walk with me and give out tickets. That's a joke. Does anyone ever get a ticket here for not stopping at crosswalks? I would bet no. One of my definitions of a bike/pedestrian friendly town is where they give out tickets for violating laws meant to create safety for those who bike/walk. (Seattle!) Nope, here they give out tickets to jaywalkers and they want to raise the fines. Bike/walker friendly? I don't think so. Years ago I heard that someone received a ticket in Eldorado near the school because he stopped for a pedestrian crossing (in the crosswalk) to the school and someone rear ended him. He got a ticket.

I have crossed on my bike at Cerrillos and St. Francis and you have to be especially careful because of those yield lanes. I think regular bicyclists must just get use to the way people here drive. I have seen kids riding around town but assume they are tourists because I wouldn't take kids on roads with these drivers. It's a beautiful place to walk/bike--you just be extra careful and don't assume the drivers will follow the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe